• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

What will be your next big purchase?

List your wish list and all.

For me the new Hitachi front Projection for my HT Plus another plasma for my bedroom. :heh:

However, the SED buzz has me thinking...................... SED :unsure: plasma
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
  • nopat
    • Aug 2005

50" Plasma

Halo A52

Paradigm center and surrounds to complement the 40 V3s,

Better sub.

In that order.

Comment

• Wick
      • Dec 2005

My next big purchase will prob be a receiver in the range of $500-1500. I think I might wait til the DTS-HD and Dolby-HD are available. I will also need to get speakers for it.
      Paul

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Probably a 2-ch amp to go 6.1 or 7.1 and give a better 2-ch performance. Of course first I have to finish the entertainment centre and bar in our HT/Family room, paint the house, build new fences in the yard, re-seal the concrete patio, replace some exterior doors, fix some stuff on my car (wheel bearings, clutch, new muffler)...

Not to mention I also have to buy my girl a ring at some point ops:
        Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Yes, Jason, a ring will make your girl VERY happy! :yesnod:

As for me, since I just built my entire HT from scratch, probably no upgrades for a while. I'm still tweaking though, so if I find I need a better amp to drive my Martin Logans, that will probably be the next major item.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

jeese!!!!

50" inch Plasma!!!!!......Martin Logans!!!!!!

After my used pre/pro ( which I sealed the deal on today ) I'm looking for a used multi channel amp to set up my first 5.1 as I am upgrading my still decent, IMHO, 12 year old stereo sys. ... something in the 70-120 wpc range.

Then a decent used Center channel spkr.....then a used Sub.

But in my dreams....................TUBES!!!!!
            BIG TUBES
            BIG TUBES on granite
            BIG TUBES on Big Slabs of Granite
            OH Baby!!!!!

You guys just perpetuate this Upgraditis disease all over the place!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

You missed the CRT front projector and 80" wide drop-down screen.

I dream of TUBES too! It's not likely I'll have them in my home system anytime soon though.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Well, for me we'll have to see what happens with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray over the next few years to see if I'll make a "big purchase" there.

Other than that, my next REALLY big purchase will likely be to save up for years to buy some sort of electrostat or magnetic planar speaker set for my theater. That's gonna be big $$$.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

SXRD and B&W 705's

I just ordered my next big purchase. A 50" Sony SXRD RPTV and a pair of B&W 705's, along with some Salamander components so I can reconfigure the entertainment center. It should all be done inthe next couple of weeks. I'll post before and after pictures.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

wkhanna, congrats on the upcoming 5.1. lemme know if you need any cables for your new setup. We cabled Kevin and Chris's setups above. Say, nice looking bike.

I'm kind of like Chris, sitting on the fence for HD.blueray.

Doug
                    Forum admin
                    CATCables owner
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Classe CA-M400s, B&W 802Ds & HTM2Ds & 4x 805Ds (if they make them), and most likely an SED TV (or might go to Samsung DLPs if I don't find the SEDs worth it -- which who are we kidding?!!)... HD & Blu-Ray... well I won't really touch this until it's more solidified on which wins...but I'll have a PS3 probably so I'll have Blu-Ray to start with. :T

That's hopefully it, some way down the road.

That's my thought process at least... don't know if it will ever happen though.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                        Classe CA-M400s, B&W 802Ds & HTM2Ds & 4x 805Ds (if they make them)
                        Man, that really is a big upgrade.

Eliav here on the forum just got some Ca-M400s the other day. I went over to listen yesterday. They sure are nice!

As for me, my next big purchase is new flooring in 100% of my house. Some wood, some carpet, and some tile. :cry:

As far as toys, I'm currently looking to build a new sub (contigent upon sale of current sub). I also need some new cables (listen up Doug ) for my home rig.

I'm going to set up a 2nd system as well with DIY MTMs and an integrated amp.
                        Danish

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Lex
                          wkhanna, congrats on the upcoming 5.1.
                          Well.... I just found out the pre/pro I was ready to buy was early model RSP-976 without component switching......@#$%&*!

Oh well, at least I figured it Before I shelled out the $$$$!!!!!

Originally posted by Lex
                          lemme know if you need any cables for your new setup. We cabled Kevin and Chris's setups above.
                          I checked out your website, very nice. Having been a self employed entrepreneur more than once myself, I will be more than happy to contact you once I have finalized my requirements. I’d much prefer to do business with a cottage style independent US manufacturer like yours rather than the likes of ‘Best Buy’ or ‘Monster’.

Originally posted by Lex
                          Say, nice looking bike.
                          Thanks for the compliment. It’s one of my favorites of a few early model Euro bikes I have. A 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, ChiPs edition (California Highway Patrol for those of you not old enough to know who Frank Poncherello aka Erik Estrada is) that truly was discovered in a barn North of Pittsburgh PA about 4 years ago. Its not restored at all cosmetically, has a few dents a dings, its original paint, and is a true joy to ride.
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JoshK
                            • Mar 2005

My next purchase will be a Front Projector, but I am patient and will wait till the HD resolutions settle into norm in the FP market. I have been happy with my 42" ED plasma for 6 years and can wait on the side lines.

Comment

• Joey_V
                              • Jul 2005

I want to get a bigger, beefier amp. Not that there's anything wrong with my Rotel RB1070... I think I want the RB1090. Soon, it will be mine... hehehe.
                              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Clive
                                Former Moderator
                                • Jan 2002

Hey Joey_V "More power to ya" :twisted: Pon intended

What speakers are you gonna drive with the Rotel?
                                CLIVE

Comment

• george_k
                                  • Jan 2004

For me either a 5ch amp (brand not confirmed yet) or acoustical treatment depending on whether or not I'm still renting.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by aud19
                                    Probably a 2-ch amp to go 6.1 or 7.1 and give a better 2-ch performance. Of course first I have to finish the entertainment centre and bar in our HT/Family room, paint the house, build new fences in the yard, re-seal the concrete patio, replace some exterior doors, fix some stuff on my car (wheel bearings, clutch, new muffler)...

Not to mention I also have to buy my girl a ring at some point ops:
                                    BTW if and when I actually have the $$$ to upgrade with a 2-ch amp I think I've decided on the Bryston 3B SST :P :B

:drool:
                                    Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2001

Right now my plans are:

New receiver. Probably the HK AVR 640 unless the denon 2807 shocks me.

New sub system. Dual svs setup unless someone comes out with something better for the money. The hsu ho system seems intriguing enough.

HD/Blu Ray player. I'll probably wait 6 months but not much longer. I don't think HD DVD will win.

Comment

• Clive
                                        Former Moderator
                                        • Jan 2002

Shane I think I read somehwere that Sony gave up Blu-ray and SACD...not sure will check back.

Jason.......Dude.............Sweeet!!! :T

George_K.............. Mississauga is blooming! Look into the homes here! You'll still need that 5ch amp............forget the neighbours downstairs Hehehe :twisted: :B
                                        CLIVE

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Uh, I'd be quite surprised if Sony abandoned Blu-Ray. That would be huge news, as they're the biggest force behind the format, and it would pretty much mean format death if they dropped it.
                                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Joey_V
                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Clive
                                            Hey Joey_V "More power to ya" :twisted: Pon intended

What speakers are you gonna drive with the Rotel?
                                            Hahaha!

ML Vantage baby!
                                            Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                            Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                            System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Apr 2001

Shane I think I read somehwere that Sony gave up Blu-ray and SACD...not sure will check back
                                              SACD likely. It's not even on the shelves here in Tulsa anymore.

Comment

• KeithM
                                                • Oct 2005

Next big upgrade for would be for me to get a different projector next summer... that's when I can get an actual job(no more paper route) and by then the bulb on mine will have died, and it's not worth replacing the bulb on my projector.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

It'll be a new TV. 50" or so. If in the next few months, it'll most likely be a Samsung HP-R5072. If I have to wait longer, it'll probably be an SED-based unit.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Okay, maybe not. Digging further into the growing pile of owner reviews on the 5072, I'm finding a couple of bad things that are going to stop me from getting that one. Phooey.

Comment

• Clive
                                                      Former Moderator
                                                      • Jan 2002

What's up David? Will be a little off topic but would be nice to know
                                                      CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Samsung's proprietary DNIe (Digital Natural Image engine) is crushing blacks into indistinct masses and at this time it isn't defeatable, even in the service menus. Also some reports have surfaced on variable light output from a percentage of these sets. That's enough for me to hold off for now. It's too bad as these are IMO by far the nicest looking (not PQ) sets out there. I'll still keep my eyes on this set in the hope that those two issues are corrected.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2004

Classe multi-channel amp (CAV-180 or something) along with a B&W HTM2 or HTM4S. I'd buy a pair of DS6 surround speakers, but I have no walls to mount them on.
                                                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD player. I'm so sick of living in an area in the Bay where you can't get over the air HD, due to signal blockage, and given I travel 2-3 weeks of the month on business, I'm not willing to pay good money for mediocre Comcast HD or over filtered SAT HD.

I've got a number of HD trailers (1080p) which have done nothing but whet my appetite for seeing this stuff on my NEC CRT projector. And yeah, I've got the HDCP thing licked, too.

~Jon
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
                                                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                              And yeah, I've got the HDCP thing licked, too.

~Jon

:T

Paul

Comment

• JKalman
                                                                • Nov 2005

Next two things I'm saving up for (should be receiving my Ayre C-5xe any day now).

Ayre V-1xe, almost have enough saved up for it. Will buy it either next month or the month after.

Ayre K-1xe, this will take 3 or 4 more months after I buy the V-1xe, but I heard all three pieces of the Ayre gear that I will own in a demo system and it was simply stunning.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                                  • Aug 2006

Waiting for a little Panasonic xr-57 to come in. Will be ordering a Behringer 1500 amp, feedback destroyer and mic for my IB sub along with the parts for the WMTW center from the DIY section. Should be ordering that stuff by Thursday. Waiting on a response to a thread I started in the diy area before I order from parts express. Hopefully this will take care of my audio needs for some time. This fall I plan on getting a Pany 900 or so front projector. I am considering a large CRT type tv for regular watching though. I have not made up my mind yet. Cheers.

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2004

A little 2 channel

I'm picking up the Rotel RA-1062 Integrated and the RCD-1072 CD player this Saturday to set up in my basement for some quality 2 channel playback.

Next item on the wish list is a video scaler.
                                                                    Last edited by htsteve; 24 August 2006, 16:25 Thursday.

Comment

• dynamowhum
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2006

Pany xr-57 came in didn't have time to hook it up before I went to work. Did bring the manual to peruse though. And now for the rest of the world.

Comment

• Glen
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2003

Just finished upgrading my main and center speakers to Ushers. That'll do me for awhile, but the next step will be to upgrade the amps. Seriously looking at the Nuforce Reference 9's. (or Ref 9 SE's would be nice as well :yesnod: )

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jul 2006

I've got my sights set on the B&W 800 D's..if the overtime keeps up..
                                                                          and it looks like it will ..by spring they're mine

course I will be looking to see if I can better them..looks like I'm going to be
                                                                          making some trips to San Francisco area...for some comparison shopping.

I guess then I'll need new everything else..

MB

Comment

• Clive
                                                                            Former Moderator
                                                                            • Jan 2002
                                                                            • 919

After the long nagging from my girlfriend I have just Installed a Plasma in the living room. I am now looking at the Axiom W22s. to compliment the unit. 8)
                                                                            CLIVE

Comment

• KRC
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2004
                                                                              • 166

#39
                                                                              For me it will be a separate processor and 5-7 channel amp. Thanks to poor advice from a salesman, I have a goofy way of selecting inputs on the TV and receiver due to conflicts. It would be nice to finally have everyting go th a processor and one cable going to the TV. I am looking at Rotel RSP 1069 or RSP 1098 and one of numerous matching amps, or possibly Classe SSP 300 and CA 5100.

Kevin

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2004
                                                                                • 2202

#40
                                                                                Next near term purchase--a Blu-ray player so I can go "purple".

Longer term, HDMI equipped receiver/pre-pro + amp. (but that's really long term)

Comment

• kgveteran
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2005
                                                                                  • 865

#41
                                                                                  My friend Ed is going to be upgrading my current version of Audyssey to the Pro version w/DynamicEQ.

I hate to say it, but nothing else is in line.

Kg
                                                                                  Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• here.now
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2008
                                                                                    • 70

#42
                                                                                    I just picked up an Oppo Dv-980H for SACD and up-conversion. Next purchase is going to be new mains. I'm thinking a trio of Statement cc's or maybe just two modulas and a RS WTMW center. After that it's going to be Emotvia's new processor and hopefully(pending on budget) the UPA-7. <- This isn't going to happen until X-mas though.
                                                                                    My Stack Rack Build

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 3389

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by here.now
                                                                                      I just picked up an Oppo Dv-980H for SACD and up-conversion.
                                                                                      How do you like it for SACD I am looking to replace my Sony
                                                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• here.now
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2008
                                                                                        • 70

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by wettou
                                                                                        How do you like it for SACD I am looking to replace my Sony
                                                                                        I highly recommend it. I read a lot of reviews prior to purchasing and have found that this particular model has excellent audio quality. I've honestly never heard anything quite as incredible. Upgrading from a 6 year-old Jvc DVD player, and an Xbox, this beautiful player has really opened my entry-level HT to a whole new dimension. My receiver is lacking high-def capabilities over HDMI so I used the Multi-channel out. I must say that the clarity and detail the Oppo brought into my home has been much needed. Listening to some of my favorite albums is like listening to whole new artists. Mind you I'm a long time listener but am new to true audiophile listening and am still tuning my ears, and HT. I've also watched one movie, StarWars: The empire strikes back. I couldn't believe my eyes, on my 720p tv I felt as though I were watching a Hi-Def video. It was almost too good for this 15+ year old movie. My wife and I ended up laughing a lot due to the fact we could really decipher the molded-plastic costumes. It was great!

On a side note, the packaging was really cool. It came cleanly packed in it's box but then inside a cloth bag, the whole unit feels very high-quality. The power cable is even modular(can be removed), which considering my receiver's isn't was pretty impressive to me.

Hope this helps!

-Jeff
                                                                                        My Stack Rack Build

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 16073

#45
                                                                                          I'm going to be building new speakers that aren't yet announced so much and probably getting the new UMC-1 if it ever comes out. Other then that possibly a new amp build or buy not sure? If I buy probably an Emotiva XPA-3.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"