X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

Good news everyone!

It's been a while since we've heard about Canon's legal troubles with SED, but it sounds like things are taking a turn for the better -- the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled last week that Canon had not broken its contract with Nano-Proprietary (now called Applied Nanotech Holdings) since Canon is now the sole owner of its previous joint venture with Toshiba, SED Inc. The court also reinstated Canon's license to the SED tech, but since Canon stopped working on the tech last year, it'll probably be a while before we see any SED displays actually show up. We'll see how it goes down -- hopefully those rumors of a skunkworks SED project inside Canon will make this all seem like a bad dream someday.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Well thats FREAKING AWESOME news. If this ever comes out I'll definitely start saving!

Comment

• WillyD
        • Feb 2006

A quick reply Dougie! Yeah, I reallllly hope something comes out in the next 4-5 years. SED sounded so promising.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I saw the thread pop up and figured it was another "What ever happened to this" post. Was very happy to see something completely different :B

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Good news...but I'm not holding my breath Even if they do eventually release something it's likely too late for us to see it as a consumer display.
            Jason

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Even after nearly three years since I have seen it (up close and personal) nothing to date comes close. Although some traction has been gained with the ECC KURO model, it still has a way to go in some areas and it won't be out for at least another year or more. Canon still has time so let's hope they put it to good use very quickly.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well I can hope....because Honestly I'm not that happy with new technologies. I was talking to my friend Bob about this last night. Black levels are all fine and everything when the screen is lit with lots of other stuff...but as soon as the screen goes mostly or all black I get sorely disappointed even with something as nice as the Kuro.

Comment

• WillyD
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by aud19
                  Good news...but I'm not holding my breath Even if they do eventually release something it's likely too late for us to see it as a consumer display.
                  Neither am I. I am extremely realistic about SEDs actual chances of making it to the consumer market period. But man if it does, even if it takes 5-7 years, it'll be worth it. On paper and from every personal account I've read, it sounds like THE technology we've all been waiting for. Pretty much the last 2D video display I would need, I think.

The good news is that even during the legal troubles, last winter they were activiely working on SED trying to "bypass the Nano-Proprietary patents at the heart of that lawsuit."

So that tells me they still believe in it. Now that this is over, they can take the best possible direction with the whole project.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

I'm a bit optimistic. Its a long shot sure but it sounds like they've been working on it this whole time they have been waiting for the lawsuit to end.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                      • Sep 2009

I think OLED is going to steal SED's cake and eat it, too - at least for a good 3-5 years.
                      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Sadly I think SED missed it's chance. At least as a consumer display.
                        Jason

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by aud19
                          Sadly I think SED missed it's chance. At least as a consumer display.
                          Yeah. I'd at least like to see them in professional-grade computer displays - good CRTs are way too hard to find these days, and the SED panels would look much sexier (thinner, etc).
                          -Josh

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

LG is finally putting a 15" OLED unit on sale this week in Korea. 1.8mm thick.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Brandon B
                              LG is finally putting a 15" OLED unit on sale this week in Korea. 1.8mm thick.
                              Sony's has had a 14" one out for a while, haven't they? It isn't HD, though (which is silly).

I don't know what the fascination is with having screens so thin - Maybe up to an inch, but <2mm? That's unnecessary. The goal should be picture quality and price (secondary).
                              -Josh

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

Sony's is an 11". On the thinness, it's just a natural benefit of the technology. They are not having to work particularly hard to make them that thin.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2001

Well, Toshiba's out and now Canon's out, at least as far as a plan to bring it to market.

Looks like SED's dead, baby, until further notice.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                    • Sep 2009

I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed for a speed-up in AMOLED production and price drops. I really can't imagine anything better than a large AMOLED screen.
                                    -Josh

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

I just got a phone with an Amoled screen, pretty nice stuff. (Samsung Epic 4G)
                                      Doug
                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Yeah they're supposed to be "coming" in large format sometime....
                                        Jason

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                          • Sep 2009

Sometime... hopefully not the same "sometime" as SEDs, right?
                                          -Josh

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"