This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Nov 2005

HI Reb,
    Tomorrow I will ask about the test. At the time I talked to him, my mind was on more basic concerns. As I said, I suspect he used both speakers free standing. I don't have the space to put 805's on stands. They would have to go on the wall which is a problem. I think the SCMS will be the speaker of choice. They look nice too which is good.

I'll let you know about his test conditions. When ever someone claims mind blowing differences, I am always sceptical. Especially if both pieces have credibility. Folks tend to exagerate and their agenda often includes not wanting to be wrong in the eyes of their peers. Audio is an area of strong opinions and strong minds,

Also, Jeff and I don't always agree. He and I have an ongoing battle on solid state verses tubes. I'm the tube guy. Fortunately I also like Krell (as a second tier choice, much to his chagrin) so we can communicate. I will say he has had some of the best sounding systems I have ever heard like one of his Apogee Diva/Krell systems. Ummm, good indeed. He does know good sound.

Sparky

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Reb,
      I spoke to my dealer today about the speaker tests. Both speakers were free standing and being driven through his switch box. That's good in a way in that the electronics were identical. The speakers were in his moderate end room using Rotel amps. The room is fairly small not much larger than my bedroom. It's aimed at apartment dwellers. All of the other speakers in there are non-800 series. His floorstanders are in a different room powered by Krell without a switchbox in sight.

When I questioned him about specific sonic differences, he waffled. He indicated that the 805S;s had better imaging (understandable) and better bass. When I asked about the magnitude of the differences, he backed off of his original "blew away" call to a more moderate "the 805S's were a lilttle better under the circumstances". That's a bit different than the original judgment. He agreed that the SCMS's were not in their natural environment as surrounds. I'm pretty sure your assessment is right on the money. Good but maybe not quite as good.

I will be ordering the SCMS's as soon as I reorganize my room this weekend. I want to hear what the room sounds like by doing nothing more than changing the listening position. I think there will be a dramatic difference.

I want to give Steve and especially you a great big thanks for your time and ideas. This has been a fantastic thread. I have learned a lot. Maybe I will get this theater to a state of decent performance because of your help.

Take Care, Sparky

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Karma, I am glad you were able to work your surround speakers concern out. I think you will be very happy with SCMS’s. I believe they fit their intended role perfectly and I think they look great too. Hanging of the wall like they do is very movie theateresque. There are other members on this forum that own them and swear by them too.

Thanks for the kind words. I am very happy to hear that the input into this thread has been beneficial to you. Please keep us posted on the transformations your room undertakes. If you get the opportunity to share some pictures we’d love to see them.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"