X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EastCoaster
    • Jan 2006

Yamaha DVD-C950 - DTS Decoder?

Hi guys (and gals!),

I just noticed the description for the Yamaha DVD-C950 doesn't say it has a DTS Decoder (while others do). This is odd, given that it's a $550 retail DVD player.

The question is, does the DTS Decoder have to be in the DVD player, or is it enough if it's in the AV Receiver? (My Yamaha RX-V2600 has a DTS Decoder). So if I get the DVD-C950, will I be getting DTS? Does anyone know?

Thanks!
  • locomk
    • Dec 2005

yes, you will, as long as you use a fiber optic or digital coaxial cable. if you hooked up your dvd player with 6 analaog cables for the sacd/dvda capability, than you can test weather it has a built in decoder by putting your receiver into the analog multi channel in, and playing a dts encoded movie.

Comment

• EastCoaster
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by locomk
      yes, you will, as long as you use a fiber optic or digital coaxial cable. if you hooked up your dvd player with 6 analaog cables for the sacd/dvda capability, than you can test weather it has a built in decoder by putting your receiver into the analog multi channel in, and playing a dts encoded movie.
      Hi Locomk, thanks for this! The DVD-C950 has an HDMI hookup, as well as six cables for SACD/DVDA, but I don't think it has a DTS Decoder... But, is it enough to have the DTS Decoder in the AV Receiver? (my reciever does, and it also has HDMI). Or will I not get the DTS when playing a DTS encoded movie if my DVD player doesn't have a DTS Decoder?

Comment

• locomk
        • Dec 2005

Hdmi is more than capable of handling Dts and dobly digital. i'm not sure weather you have to go into the setup options of your yamaha dvd player and enable dts and dolby digital. yamaha receivers decode Dts very well ( i have a rx-v3300). if you hook up the hdmi cable to your reciever, than you will get dts 100%. if the hdmi version is 1.2 on your receiver and dvd player, than hdmi will also carry sacd. so you really only need one hdmi cable to your receiver to take advantage of all your dvd player has to offer (both picture and sound) oh, and depending on what type of of display you have, try changing the output of your dvd player to 720p, when i used the dvd-c950 using upconversion via hdmi, i was dissapointed with how much dotcrawl and artifacts i was seeing, and the video was a bit jagged. the dvd-c950's Auto video mode is 1080i. but if you have a lcd screen for expample, 720p is native to the lcd, so the picture should be smoother.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"