X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • volfandan
    • Nov 2005

New To HT...PLEASE HELP!

I am currently in the market searching for a HTR. I had basically decided on a Denon 3803, but then found out about this whole THX ultra 2 stuff. The only Denon equiptment that is "THX" is the 4800 series. I really can't/won't spend the $1000+ for a 4806, but had been thinking about maybe getting a used 4802. Here is my dilema....can you really tell a difference in sound/processing with something that is THX, as opposed to a receiver that has Dolby Digital and DTS-ES???? The main difference other than the THX certification between the 4802 and the 3803 seems to be the 120 wpc as opposed to 110 wpc. Any info would greatly appreciated.
    danny
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Other than as a deciding factor betweeen two otherwise equal pieces of equipment, I wouldn't put a huge amount of weight in THX status myself...
    Jason

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

I think if you get a good DVD player, you can't really tell the differenct between and thx ultra and dolby digital/dts

Comment

• Rolyasm
        • Dec 2004

You shouldn't base your decision on the certification alone. Sure it is nice to see it, but there are many receivers that are just as good that don't have it. I was told you have to pay to have this certification on your equipment and that is why many products don't do that. If a receiver company saves the fifty bucks from certification and puts it into the receiver then I know who I would pick. Did you see the movie Tommy Boy? 'If you want me to take a dump in a bag and put a guarantee on it to make you feel warm and fuzzy, I'll do it. But what you have is a bag of you know what...' Not the exact line, but you get the point. Pick out a receiver based on your needs and if it has the certification, great. If not, who cares.
        Roly

Comment

• Rolyasm
          • Dec 2004

Here is a thread you can read.
          whats THX? (hides behind a couch) kidding aside ... a yamaha rxv750/757 costs USD428 and an RXV 1500 costs USD785 (thats converted to USD) is THX worth the extra clams? what difference is there?

Enjoy, it is a long one.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"