X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • britrover
    • Sep 2005

How high is your surround speaker ?

How high do you have your surround speakers mounted? I’ve seen some pictures where surround speakers are mounted close to the ceiling and am trying to the ideal height to mount my Monitor audio silver surrounds.

Looking for suggestions on optimum mounting height.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Depends on your room, seating location etc.

Generally speakers are only placed higher to get them further from the listening area, ie: a smaller room where the speakers are only a few feet from the listening area. If you have a large room where your surrounds are already 10+ feet from the listening area there's no need to have them higher than around ear level
    Jason

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

The rule of thumb is about 2 feet above the ears. Domestic contraints put mine at 3.5 feet above. Not ideal but works great given my circumstances.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Dolby recommended height is above ear level (and higher than the fronts), because soundtracks are likely to be optimized for that location. Just remember to test each position before permanently mounting if possible, moving the speaker even a few inches will sometimes make a change in sound.
        I'm using dipole speakers and my height is approximately 2 feet above my head, as previously suggested, your mileage may vary of course.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• ekkoville
          • Aug 2004

Azeke and the rest, are the dipoles behind or to the sides of the listening position? If you use dipoles what is the best placement; and if you use direct radiating what is best? Hope that was clear!

Comment

• britrover
            • Sep 2005

My Monitor Audio surrounds can be set up as dipole or bipole…………….any suggestions of which set up sounds better for HT.

Comment

• Tha Freak
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by britrover
              My Monitor Audio surrounds can be set up as dipole or bipole…………….any suggestions of which set up sounds better for HT.
              tests & tries...

you're the one that knows what sounds better...
              - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Here's a link to Dolby's recommended speaker placement with additional tips etc

Jason

Comment

• saurabh
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ekkoville
                  Azeke and the rest, are the dipoles behind or to the sides of the listening position? If you use dipoles what is the best placement; and if you use direct radiating what is best? Hope that was clear!
                  Monopoles (direct radiating) are placed to the sides just to face your ears but never behind.

Dipoles are again placed to the sides and slightly ahead of the seating position to get that surround effect.

Recommended height is 2 ft +/- from your ear level up.
                  Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"