X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dotay
    • Oct 2004

Pre amp suggestions

I think I have just about convinced myself to go through a major upgrade cycle. I recently built a 15" Avalanche sonosub and have been bitten pretty hard by the DIY audio bug. I currently have 5 Energy C-7's (soon to be for sale if anyone is interested ) being powered by an entry level Denon receiver (1603 I believe). I am pretty happy with this package but I feel that I can really get some good quality stuff by going the DIY route. I want to build the Natalie P speakers designed by JonMarsh...err...I mean Evil Twin :W in the tower format and either the Modula center or the RS 3 way center in dawaro's thread and the Modula MT's for rears. I'm pretty sure my receiver won't like the loads of these speakers so that brings me to my next phase of upgraditis...the amps.

Keeping with the DIY theme I'd like to build LM3886 kit from chipamp.com for all 5 channels. Since I haven't really heard of any DIY HT processors I figured I'd just buy a quality pre-amp and that's where my question comes in. I'd like to stay under $600 on this if possible (way under would be nice) but at the same time I want something that will give me good quality and won't be the weak link in my new system. I will probably look almost exclusively at used items because I feel this is a good way to maximize the dollars spent. Right now I'm leaning pretty heavily towards an Outlaw 950. It's gotten rave reviews when bang for the buck is taken into consideration and I don't need any fancy video switching or anything. I've seen these go for ~$500 so it also meets my budget.

So do you guys think this would be good choice? Any other suggestions?
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

For the amount of money you are going to spend, I believe the Outlaw 950 is an excellent choice, including bang for the buck. Here is a review:

"Using the latest surround processing technology from Cirrus Logic, the Model 950 is the only product in its price class to offer a complete range of surround processing modes. The Model 950 is the only surround processor under $900, and is one of the few units at any price to offer Dolby Digital® Surround EX®, Dolby ProLogic II®, the complete suite of DTS-ES® and DTS Neo:6® processing and decoding, and Cirrus Logic’s Extra Surround™, in addition to 5 Channel Stereo and 7 Channel Stereo modes. This incredible array of surround options assures compatibility with the widest range of source material, delivering 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channel sound fields, depending on the user’s speaker configuration." _Audioreview

I actually saw an Outlaw 950 on audiogon for $400.00, of course it's already sold.

Rotel 1066 is also another consideration, but you would have to spend a little more money.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Dotay
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Azeke

I actually saw an Outlaw 950 on audiogon for $400.00, of course it's already sold.

Rotel 1066 is also another consideration, but you would have to spend a little more money.

Good luck,

Azeke
      Yeah, I saw that today as I was looking...too bad I didn't see it earlier. Thanks for the suggestion on the Rotel. :T I was actually looking at those earlier today but I think I'd have to get really lucky to find someone selling one in my budget.

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

If you're considering used... on Audiogon you'll find a Marantz AV9000 pre/pro... their X000 series is well past 5 years old now, but that particular series was incredibly well-built and reliable... the Outlaws, while OK for movies with their sharp, 'crackly' sonic signature, can't begin to touch the Marantz for sound quality, especially for music.

If you research the 9000, you'll find it is very loaded despite its age... it may not have the latest DACs, but there's plenty there... DD, DTS, DPL1, AC3 (laserdisc), THX, component switching, multi-ch analog inputs -- and a tuner!... it's a flagship model with flagship build.

I have no connection with the Audiogon seller, btw... but I did have a modest SR5000 receiver, and can vouch for sound quality... heck, I even used its DACs for music, as it easily beat those of any player I've had.

Happy hunting.

EDIT... ooops, my bad: NO multi-ch analog input... a deal-killer if you like m-ch DVD-A or SACD.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Dotay
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by gd
          If you're considering used... on Audiogon you'll find a Marantz AV9000 pre/pro... their X000 series is well past 5 years old now, but that particular series was incredibly well-built and reliable... the Outlaws, while OK for movies with their sharp, 'crackly' sonic signature, can't begin to touch the Marantz for sound quality, especially for music.

If you research the 9000, you'll find it is very loaded despite its age... it may not have the latest DACs, but there's plenty there... DD, DTS, DPL1, AC3 (laserdisc), THX, component switching, multi-ch analog inputs -- and a tuner!... it's a flagship model with flagship build.

I have no connection with the Audiogon seller, btw... but I did have a modest SR5000 receiver, and can vouch for sound quality... heck, I even used its DACs for music, as it easily beat those of any player I've had.

Happy hunting.

EDIT... ooops, my bad: NO multi-ch analog input... a deal-killer if you like m-ch DVD-A or SACD.
          Hmmmm...interesting. I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that this is primarily for HT but good musical quality is definitely a plus. If I had to put a percentage on them I'd say 75/25 HT/music. I'll have to do some research on this particular model. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"