X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stidrvr
    • Sep 2005

Need Help with Sub Placement

I hope you guys can help me out with this. I just started to play around with my Kenwood SW-X1 (I guess it was Kenwoods high end) sub that I want to use in my Living Room until I finish the rest of my DIY stuff. I have tried a couple different placements on the right side of the entertainment center. Ive had it every way, facing the corner, the wall, facing out, even facing up. I switched side of the Ent center and that was no help. My living room is 16x18 with Cathedral ceilings, and mutiple hallways/doorways. The sub sounds ok from my listening postion but about midway down the hallway, its rediculous. Thats what I want where I sit. How do I do this? Thanks for the Help. Here are some pics so you can see what I talking about.
    Attached Files
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Stidvr,
    The walk around the room method is the best for choosing sub placement. Just walk around the room with a sub cable attached and listen to the same sub passage. You'll hear where it sounds best. I'm thinking where you have it in picture #2 will be the best. Corner placement usually adds alittle more oomph to the overall sound.

Comment

• Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Hi there John :welcome: to the Guide and thanks for posting.

I am not sure I understood your dilema.

Am I correct in understanding that you are satisfied with the sound from the Sub in your listenning possition (Sweet spot) but down the hallway in pic#3 (which seem to lead to another room) the LFE is not so desirable?

If so, this sounds to me that there maybe a standing sound wave issue or echos thats bouncing around and down that hallway. Also if so, could you enlighten me as to why the hallway is important to you?
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• ajpoe
        • Jul 2004

Clive, I believe what he meant is that it sounds OK at his listening position but halfway down his hallway the sound is a lot more powerful and that's what he wants at his listening position.

I've heard the best way to find a location for your sub is to move your furniture at your listening position and put ur sub where you'd be sitting. Play some bass and walk around the room to see where it sounds the best. The place where it sounds the best is where you should move the sub. It should sound just as good at your listening postion when you swap places.

You may also want to consider adding a BFD. It's the best price/performance investment you can make IMO at $100. A BFD can be used to flatten out any peaks or valleys in your bass response in your room.
        AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by stidrvr
          mutiple hallways/doorways. The sub sounds ok from my listening postion but about midway down the hallway, its rediculous.
          Ooops, my bad, now I get it. When he said "rediculous" I thought in a bad way.
          Last edited by Clive; 03 November 2005, 12:45 Thursday.
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• stidrvr
            • Sep 2005

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah ajpoe is right, I would like the to have the sound that I get from the sub that is in the hallway in my listening postion. I only have a couple more options as far as sub placement. Which right looks like its either going to be behind me is the closet or under the end table next to the couch. So pretty much my only options are to just move the sub around until I move the sweet spot to my listening postition then?

Comment

• ajpoe
              • Jul 2004

It's easier to put the sub at the listening position and move yourself around to various areas to see where sounds best instead of moving a heavy sub around to various spots and then going back to your listening position to try to hear the differences. The sub should sound the same when you swap the sub from the listening position to the position that sounded best.
              AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• stidrvr
                • Sep 2005

Oh ok, well that definately makes it easier. Cool, thanks for the help

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ajpoe
                  It's easier to put the sub at the listening position and move yourself around to various areas to see where sounds best instead of moving a heavy sub around to various spots and then going back to your listening position to try to hear the differences. The sub should sound the same when you swap the sub from the listening position to the position that sounded best.
                  You should crawl around on your knees also to help determine your optimal sub placement when using the method previously described.

Azeke

Comment

• stidrvr
                    • Sep 2005

You should crawl around on your knees also to help determine your optimal sub placement when using the method previously described.

Azeke
                    Yeah that was one thing that I noticed in its current placement. I can definately feel it in my calf area on my legs, and even somewhat in the couch too.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by stidrvr
                      Yeah that was one thing that I noticed in its current placement. I can definately feel it in my calf area on my legs, and even somewhat in the couch too.
                      I believe Azeke meant as you'll be placing the sub on the floor that's where you should do your listening with the reverse positioning test
                      Jason

Comment

• stidrvr
                        • Sep 2005

Well a little update. I put the sub on the couch and walked all over. The house was a constant dead spot, with the exception of the corners. I then started to move the sub around just trial and error. The door in picture 3, right next to the hallway is a coat closet. For the hell of it I threw it in there. If I have the sub pointed up and the door cracked about 6-8 inches it sounds wonderful. The only problem now is that the sub rattles the whole closet like crazy. Oh well... I tried. I guess thats the motivation that I need to get stated on my dedicated room in the basement.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"