X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Home Theater line-up

Let's just say I have a clean slate..... no gear what-so-ever. If I were to start looking and buying my gear, what would be the best why to go about it in terms, what should I start with from beginning to end.
    I'm buying separates! Budget $4500.00.

Best ideas?
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
  • kalihi
    • Aug 2005

I just purchased my first serious high-end HT system and below is my setup:

Power: Rotel RSX-1056 $1,300
    Front: B&W DM603 S3 $1,000/pr
    Center: B&W LCR600 S3 $500
    Rear: B&W DM601 S3 $400
    Sub: Velodyne 3750 $600

I must say that it rocks for both HT and music. The 5.1 HT setup is truly amazing with the clarity in both highs and lows. The sub gives it a punch that will get your heart pounding and the center channel makes the movie come to life! All for under $4,000.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Part 1

I'd recommend study/research first. Find out what you like in the sound and picture of a system. In audio do you want "forward" or "relaxed", "detailed" or "euphonic", "cool" or "warm", etc? In video do you do a lot of gaming (worry about burn-in), do you need black detail, do you need high contrast, etc? Start auditioning the types of components that fall into the performance areas you need. Then decide if your budget fits what you've decided is the range of componentry you want. If $4500 works then move on to purchasing.

Part 2 later. . . . Gotta do some work.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Uncle Clive
        Let's just say I have a clean slate..... no gear what-so-ever. If I were to start looking and buying my gear, what would be the best why to go about it in terms, what should I start with from beginning to end.
        I'm buying separates! Budget $4500.00.

Best ideas?
        That's $4500CA? I don't think that will be enough for seperates, speakers, DVD player and a display with seperates. You may have to move "down" to a receiver from Rotel or Sherwood Newcastle etc.

Short of that you're looking at the more budget to midrange speaker systems from the likes of B&W, Energy, PSB, Paradigm, Polk, Totem etc maybe even Fluance. (Buy as big of a centre in the line your looking at as you can afford)Get a sub from SVS or HSU or even better build one yourself if you have the skills to get even more performance/$.

You could probably pick up one of the $200 (+/-) universal players from Denon, Pioneer etc. Not a big concern, lot's of options there.

For a display, to keep in your price range you're best bet is probably a Hitachi or Toshiba CRT RPTV between 42" and 50". Still the best picture out there, just big cabinets but you'll get the most size and PQ for your money
        Jason

Comment

• taz13
          • Jun 2004

If buying with intention of staying static, I don't think for 4,500 (if you are talking canuck bucks even less chance) that you can build a system with separates that will perform as well as a HT Rx from NAD, Sherwood etc.
          If buying with the intention of upgrading then you are on another path that may allow building that system over time as you can find very good used equipment at decent prices.
          But for that to work you have to have a starting system. Personally I would find a set of quality speakers that are used, either at my local upscale audio shop or in local classified and go and listen. When you like, buy. Buy an entry level HT Rx from a good maker and a reasonable universal transport. Then plan your upgrades in the order you want and start doing them as yur budget allows.
          That would be my way to start.
          I can't remember what Andrew Pratt was asking for his rotel and sony transport and speakers but was only about 1000 over your budget iirc.
          The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
          Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

David where's Part deux?

How much more Cnd$ do you think I'd need though? Or should I forget about going separates and get a Rx that can be used later as a pre-pro?
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

How 'bout "sometime today or tonight?" :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Clive do you need a display too or is this just pre/amp/source/speakers?

If you have a couple older speakers you could use for temporary surrounds what you could do is put all your money in to a pre, amp and front three speakers for now and upgrade the rest later. Getting a quality amp on the used mark would be another good option to save some money. Even a couple year old amp should provide years of great performance without getting "out-of-date" A pre from Sherwood Newcastle, Rotel, Nad or Outlaw will get you more current features etc for decent $ and like I said for between ~$200-~$400 there are plenty of options for decent universal players
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"