X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeybutts
    • Sep 2009

Lineup F4 build (Lots o' pics!)

Well, I procured () two TB W4-1337's through some deals and what not. Figured I would give the Lineup full range a shot.

Read more about it here -

Why did I start this build? Cause I can't help myself. And funds are low at the current time. So with the left over hardwood from my cornhole boards, I figured I could use some of it up on these. The enclosures ended up being bigger than I thought they would (seems that always happens), not that they are BIG, but just bigger than expected.

This is also the first time I have used the rabbeting technique for joining panels, and I must say, I really like it. There is no question on lining things up or positioning. Just glue, set, clamp and go. I think I may use this from now on in my builds. I think I like it much more than butt joints.

Why am I posting pics now? Because man are they going to look a lot better than I ever thought they would (at least in my mind). Only issue I am faced with is the port opening with the awkward back side of the hardwood and also not thinking about how the rabbet would effect the aesthetics at the front. Oh well. Good thing these are being done as a quick side project. (catch that joke? )

On to a lot of pics showing little by little.

Boards selected for panels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Velodyne004.webp Views:	0 Size:	26.3 KB ID:	938295

Brazillian Cherry boards

Click image for larger version  Name:	Velodyne006.webp Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	938296

Gluing boards into panels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Velodyne009.webp Views:	0 Size:	41.7 KB ID:	938297

Click image for larger version  Name:	Velodyne011.webp Views:	0 Size:	42.8 KB ID:	938298

Click image for larger version  Name:	Velodyne015-1.webp Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	938299

Getting a straight edge to cut off of.

Click image for larger version  Name:	VelodyneF4s001.webp Views:	0 Size:	38.6 KB ID:	938300

Click image for larger version  Name:	VelodyneF4s004.webp Views:	0 Size:	31.3 KB ID:	938301

Panels all cut

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s002.webp Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	938302

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s003.webp Views:	0 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	938303

Almost stepped on this "little" guy

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s023.webp Views:	0 Size:	211.9 KB ID:	938304

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s025.webp Views:	0 Size:	195.0 KB ID:	938305

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s027.webp Views:	0 Size:	197.3 KB ID:	938306

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s029.webp Views:	0 Size:	202.8 KB ID:	938307

Checking panel lengths

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s005.webp Views:	0 Size:	99.6 KB ID:	938308

Mock up after rabbeting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s015.webp Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	938309

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s017.webp Views:	0 Size:	107.1 KB ID:	938310

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s019.webp Views:	0 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	938311

Click image for larger version  Name:	F4s021.webp Views:	0 Size:	177.7 KB ID:	938312

Gluing panels

Click image for larger version

Name:	F4s034.webp
Views:	82
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	938313

Name:	F4s035.webp
Views:	85
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	938314

That's it for now! Hoping to glue them up by Monday.

Like mentioned previously... just unsure about what to do at the port. Going to see if A massive roundover may help.....otherwise I'll just leave it. I don't think many would notice but if I can fix it easily I'll go for it.
    Last edited by theSven; 29 May 2023, 06:07 Monday. Reason: Update image location
  • numberoneoppa
    • Sep 2009

Make sure you use a clamp in the middle so your boards don't bow out (three clamps instead of two). Otherwise, looks cool.

I like the scrapwood idea - they could look pretty nice when they're done. I am looking forward to more pictures~ keep progress coming!
    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• joeybutts
      • Sep 2009

If there is any bowing it's minimal. Kept the tolerances pretty tight on the rabbet and no parts are flush with the edge. I do need to get some more clamps just for this reason you point out though.

Yeah, flooring is pretty versatile if you want to take the extra time to prep it to work as panels.

Comment

• joeybutts
        • Sep 2009

Question. The top panel of the enclosure, which also serves as part of the port, do I need to fill the grooves in or should it be ok? The grooves I speak of are the on the bottom of the top panel.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I'd fill them in and sand it smooth simply because they are going to cause port restriction to some degree.

Comment

• joeybutts
            • Sep 2009

Thanks Dougie. I'll fill and sand! It shouldn't be too noticeable, if at all.

Comment

• joeybutts
              • Sep 2009

Progress.

Name:	F4nine2x001.webp
Views:	87
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	938315

Name:	F4nine2x003.webp
Views:	88
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	938316

Name:	F4nine2x019.webp
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	938317

Name:	F4nine2x021.webp
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	938318
              Last edited by theSven; 29 May 2023, 06:10 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• joeybutts
                • Sep 2009

Enclosures all glued up, sanded, routed.....basically done. I do need to finish sanding with finer grits, then poly and put the crossover in.

My impatience did get the best of me though and I wired through the port and am playing the driver raw in the enclosure. What a BEAUTIFUL overall tone this driver has....I am totally wowed and can't wait to see what happens with the crossover implemented.

Comment

• TacoD
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by joeybutts
                  Enclosures all glued up, sanded, routed.....basically done. I do need to finish sanding with finer grits, then poly and put the crossover in.

My impatience did get the best of me though and I wired through the port and am playing the driver raw in the enclosure. What a BEAUTIFUL overall tone this driver has....I am totally wowed and can't wait to see what happens with the crossover implemented.
                  Nice woodworking, wrap up the x-over and the sound will be even better .

Comment

• joeybutts
                    • Sep 2009

Thanks Taco and I can't wait!!

Pics!!

stuffed.

Name:	F4002.webp
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	938319

Rough sanded, flushed and ready for the driver cutout.

Name:	F4018.webp
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	938320

Name:	F4019.webp
Views:	83
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	938321

Name:	F4021.webp
Views:	86
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	938322

Name:	F4024.webp
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	938323

ANOTHER ONE?!??!?!

Name:	F4026.webp
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	938324

Loaded.

Name:	F4032.webp
Views:	84
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	938325

Name:	F4034.webp
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	938326

Name:	F4035.webp
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	938327

Name:	F4037.webp
Views:	80
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	938328

I really wish I would have taken this build a little more seriously instead of just a whim build. They could have been unreal. No doubt I think they look great, but the port really gets me and a bunch of other little things. Oh well. They already sound fantastic, and that is what really matters.
                    Last edited by theSven; 29 May 2023, 06:14 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

I think they look great! Nice job.

Comment

• joeybutts
                        • Sep 2009

Thanks Jed!

I did get them completely sanded down to 220 on the orbital today. I need to pick up a finishing sander so I can get some higher grits on there efficiently.

They are going to look pretty slick all polyed up.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                          • Sep 2009

I really wish I would have taken this build a little more seriously instead of just a whim build.
                          Yes. I find myself rebuilding my overnight sensations for this reason.
                          -Josh

Comment

• TacoD
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2004

Thanks Taco and I can't wait!!

Pics!!

stuffed.

I really wish I would have taken this build a little more seriously instead of just a whim build. They could have been unreal. No doubt I think they look great, but the port really gets me and a bunch of other little things. Oh well. They already sound fantastic, and that is what really matters.
                            These speakers already look better than I can make with my woodworking skills. Nothing to be ashamed of! One thing I always wonder with these solid wood cabinets is the question if the panels will crack due to ageing of the wood.

Comment

• joeybutts
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by TacoD
                              These speakers already look better than I can make with my woodworking skills. Nothing to be ashamed of! One thing I always wonder with these solid wood cabinets is the question if the panels will crack due to ageing of the wood.
                              Thanks taco! Somebody else mentioned this I think on the PE forum. I'm hoping the high humidity in this area helps. I'm also thinking about using tung oil for the finish.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                • Sep 2009

Last of the crossover components ordered! Should be done by the weekend, def end of the month!

Comment

• mtmpenn
                                  • Jan 2010

Looks great. FYI: klingspor woodworking has high grit sanding discs you can use on your random orbit sander (like up to 1500 grit). Their website is shady looking, but I've ordered from them several times and never had an issue. Their prices are also quite good.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                    • Sep 2009

Thanks Penn for that heads up! I'll have to give them a look.

First coat of tung oil is on. That's all I can "say."

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mtmpenn
                                      Looks great. FYI: klingspor woodworking has high grit sanding discs you can use on your random orbit sander (like up to 1500 grit). Their website is shady looking, but I've ordered from them several times and never had an issue. Their prices are also quite good.
                                      I came across this site a long time ago and I've been searching for it again ever since. Thanks!
                                      -Josh

Comment

• joeybutts
                                        • Sep 2009

oh YEAH! CROSSOVER PARTS ARE HERE!! YEAH!

Speakers done this weekend!!!

Comment

• TacoD
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Feb 2004

oh YEAH! CROSSOVER PARTS ARE HERE!! YEAH!

Speakers done this weekend!!!
                                          Good luck with soldering

Comment

• joeybutts
                                            • Sep 2009

Thanks mang, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

pics of finish so far.....not sure how much further I want to go.....

Name:	EHQS8T-lineF4s048.webp
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	938329

Crossover mocked up!

Name:	EHQS8T-lineF4s052.webp
Views:	87
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	938330
                                            Last edited by theSven; 29 May 2023, 06:21 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• TacoD
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Feb 2004

That looks very nice, I would keep it like this.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                • Sep 2009

THanks Taco. I think I may keep them as is for now. In the future may go a bit glossier, but not much.

Crossovers all replanned, and soldered together. Next is binding posts, install crossover, and evaluate!

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                  • Sep 2009

Would this work well if I integrated it into the system?

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                    • Sep 2009

I wish my W4's weren't aesthetically defective.

These things show quickly how terribly a lot of mainstream radio music is recorded, especially hip hop/some pop. Anything else sounds amazing. Females sound incredible, most "bands" sound soooooo good. I have rekindled my liking for things like DMB, Rusted Root, etc. and am much more likely now to listen to female artists and other genres I would normally steer clear.

There is such a warmth and smoothness to them that is a bit awkward at first after listening to "typical" stereo. And the imaging is so fantastic. I lost myself at lunch today "staring" at the imaging and my gf had to bring me back asking me what I was doing.

And for the last few days I have been listening to them at work there has been a HUGE boost in the low end, and was thinking to myself....this can't be right......Well...it wasn't. I have them sitting on the opposite side of my desk on another desk but perfectly butted flush to my desk (so essentially they are on the same plane as my desk extended out) and it is boosting the low end. So I'm going to have to make stands for them and raise them quite a bit.

I think these are now my favorite speakers as far as SQ goes. As stated before, makes me want to rebuild them and buy new drivers......

Still need to take completed pics....

Comment

• Jed
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Apr 2005

Glad you're enjoying the speakers. The TB W4 1337 is a remarkable driver.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                        • Sep 2009

No, thank YOU. I was astonished with the driver raw in the enclosure. Then with the crossover,......remarkable just doesn't cut it. They bring a whole new life to music.

By the way, Jed, where abouts in NY are you? I'm from the Buffalo area....now living in VA.

Comment

• john trials
                                                          • Mar 2009

Aesthetically defective? Make a grill or a simple grill-sock wrapped around the box.

You give such a good review of these F4s...I feel foolish for making Statement Monitors for surrounds. My hearing fails somewhere just above 13kHz, and I have a sub, so these F4s would have probably been perfect, and saved me some $.
                                                          Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                            • Sep 2009

Hmmm.....I could make a grill, though I do love exposed drivers, especially these titanium cones. I may have to, unless these go on sale again and I can pick up new ones.

They really are impressive full range speakers. I'll swap you the F4's for your Statement Monitors.

Pics! Lighting was a bit weird in my room due to the new Promethean Boards and the lights washing out the projector.....

Name:	F4scomplete001.webp
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	938331

Name:	F4scomplete003.webp
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	938332

Name:	F4scomplete005.webp
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	938333

Name:	F4scomplete008.webp
Views:	80
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	938334
                                                            Last edited by theSven; 29 May 2023, 06:24 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• TacoD
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Feb 2004

Those turned out very nice!

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by TacoD
                                                                Those turned out very nice!
                                                                Thanks Taco! I'm still thinking about steel wooling them and putting a couple more coats of tung oil on to get them a touch more glossy.

Comment

• cbark
                                                                  • Jan 2010

Nice!

After class...flip on the lava light...grab a cold one and flip through the latest PE sales flyer...listening to some smooth sounds.... 8)

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cbark
                                                                    Nice!

After class...flip on the lava light...grab a cold one and flip through the latest PE sales flyer...listening to some smooth sounds.... 8)
                                                                    Hahahaha...I do everything but the cold one at school. Maybe even during class

Comment

• Jed
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2005

By the way, Jed, where abouts in NY are you? I'm from the Buffalo area....now living in VA.
                                                                      Just outside Rochester, NY.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2009

Very cool. If I still lived up there, I would try to hit you up for a listening session and to maybe learn a few things (that is if you so accepted to do so ).

Comment

• Jed
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2005
                                                                          • 3621

Very cool. If I still lived up there, I would try to hit you up for a listening session and to maybe learn a few things (that is if you so accepted to do so ).
                                                                          Absolutely. :T This winter I'll have a half dozen or so new speakers "in-house."

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2009
                                                                            • 476

Parents ended up loving them this past weekend so I gave the speakers to them for their kitchen. Going to set them up over Thanksgiving.

I'll need to build a new pair for myself......

Comment

• BeerParty
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2008
                                                                              • 475

#39
                                                                              Parents ended up loving them this past weekend so I gave the speakers to them for their kitchen. Going to set them up over Thanksgiving.

I'll need to build a new pair for myself......
                                                                              What a shame, you have to build another pair... :roll:
                                                                              Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                                                                              My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Apr 2005
                                                                                • 3621

#40
                                                                                You know ya got the speaker building bug when you look for ways to give away your speakers to build more. :-)

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2009
                                                                                  • 476

#41
                                                                                  Hahahahah. Yeah Chris, though I think the next ones may be R4's or 44's.

Jed, I've had the bug for 4 years. I think it's terminal.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2005
                                                                                    • 3621

#42
                                                                                    I've been looking for someone to work with for a new Lineup D44. If you're interested let me know. Maybe we could do some new build thread for that down the road.

What's one more speaker on my plate....

Also got some RS125-8s to play with.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2009
                                                                                      • 476

#43
                                                                                      That would be awesome Jed. Let me know what you have in mind when the time comes.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2005
                                                                                        • 3621

#44
                                                                                        That would be awesome Jed. Let me know what you have in mind when the time comes.
                                                                                        I'm game now if I can get someone to buy the drivers from me afterwards. Basically, I just have to pick a tweeter to go in the new D44. I really liked the Seas 22tafg used in the Lineup Maxx L16 MK2, but I see they have a new soft dome version of it out that looks to have a nice flat response as well.

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2009
                                                                                          • 476

#45
                                                                                          So you just need me to purchase drivers, or build cabinets, or......

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"