room equalization help.. spectrum analyzer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

room equalization help.. spectrum analyzer?

I am wondering what is the best way to calibrate my audio system. I have used an spl meter and tested/adjusted speaker levels. I have heard that the AVIA DVD is the best HT calibration program.... true? I was also intrested in looking at a spectrum analyzer or HT analyzer to see what kind of response I am getting from my system. Any suggestions on programs/tools to measure frequency responses?? I know that velodyne digital drive subs have tools to do this..... but I dont want to buy a sub to measure and equalize my system hhahahah
    All input is appreciated
    Thanks
    Stew

Rotel 1068
    Rotel 1095
    B&W 803s
    B&W HTM3s
    Rel Stentor III
    Stew
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Well most of the EQ needs would be in the subwoofers range so since you already have an SPL meter download Sonnies BFD worksheet and see what kind of response you're getting with that. Once that's done if require (likely) purchase a BFD (~$110 USD) and fix up the sub's response. You'll see the BFD sticky thread at the top of the page.

Comment

• stewfoo
      • Jul 2005

Where can i find the Sonnies BFD worksheet ??? Pardon my ignorance
      Stew
      Stew

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Hey Stewfoo,

There are some places that rent test equipment such as RTA's, But what it cost to rent one you could possibly get a local tech who will come out and run some pink noise and get your system response.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Snap
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2005

:agree: Lots of AV companies will do set up and tune for 150-250. At least in NC they do. (75-125 an hour is the rates down here) If you have not used a RTA or some of the other test equipment and do not plan on using them on a regular basis than it is probably better to just have a tech come in and set it all up for you. You will spend half your day hooking up test equipment and learning how to work it at first. Most of your good AV compaies would love to come in and do that for you. Works out on both ends for all parties involved. They make some money and possibly get your future business of equipment. And you get a professionally tuned system. :T
          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"