• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

HDMI Switchbox?

Hey guys,

Long time no-see.
    I'm sort of out of the whole HT thing but I have a friend just getting started. He's in need of a switchbox for feeding multiple HDMI sources to a single HDTV. He says the only models he's been able to find start at $250.

Is there anything cheaper out there? I know it's kind of early for mass market HDMI switching (as very few people have a single HDMI source much less multiple). Just curious if this has been discussed yet.

Thanks in advance and it's nice to see a lot of familiar names out there.

-Camp
    www.campmurphy.net
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

There are a few manufacturers of these (Gefen being one) that have multiple HDMI inputs and unfortunately the price point he has found is around $250. There will be more coming out in time but for now, from all I know, that is what is available on the market.
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

Starting this month, the flood of HDMI switching receivers is starting. Pioneer Elite just started theirs and JVC plans to offer a 7 channel HDMI switching receiver for under $600.

With HD DVD and such coming, It might be best just to invest in a new receiver and get the new formats as they come out to boot. If he wants the latest formats, I'd wait for CES 2006.

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

...or get a new switching receiver as Shane said...
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

A few months ago, I bought a Gefen 4x1 switcher. (4 sources, 1 output) Had occasional video flicker and snow, and a few other problems. (i.e. wouldn't pass audio, and had HDMI input, but DVI output, requiring a DVI-HDMI adapter) So I sent it back for a refund.

Parasound has announced a HDMI switcher. I'll most likely be going with that. Should integrate well with my Parasound Halo setup, too.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

What about something like this?

I have not tried it but it is HDMI to HDMI 2 in and 1 out, with remote triggers, and a RS232 port. Just something to think about.
            The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Hey senor Sili, long time no see. I'm glad to see you dropping back in! :T

Unfortunately, at this point I haven't seen anything below the US$225-250 range. At least not in any Google or Yahoo searches....

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Snap
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2005

Here is a new one from Key Digital. This is probably the only one that I would trust that was stand alone. Key Digital is a very nice product. How ever......it is WAY above your price point. Just thought I would through it out there for people to see.

The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"