X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markb571
    • Aug 2005

Energy Subs

This is my first post here, so please be gentle :unsure: *** See, I meant to post this in the Home Theatre Forum*** ops: *** can it be moved? *** ops:

What subs are people using with their Energy Connisseur speakers? I am considering an Energy 5.1 HT (100%) setup, and would like to know if the Energy subs are okay or if I should look at getting one from a dedicated sub maker.

The one in question is the S10 and the room is approx. 12 x 15 - carpeted. Will 10" match for my size room? Would a 12" dominate sonically? Other speakers will likely be C-5, CC-3 (or CC-1) and CR-3 (or CR-1). Associated electronics are Rotel 1075/1068.

I'm a bit lost when it comes to subs so any help is good help afaic.

Thanks! Mark.
    Last edited by markb571; 05 August 2005, 08:46 Friday. Reason: Wrong Forum
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Mark, welcome to The Guide. :welcome: I've moved your post as requested.

Of course we'll be gentle. Kinky maybe, but gentle. :B

For your room, a 12" or even 15" would be my recommendation. I'm running a 15" Velodyne in an 11'-3" x 13'-3" room. The beauty of a sub is that it can be tailored to perform the way you want it to. And, I'm a believer in having more rather than less (not just in subs, either) so that if you decide you want more, it's already there for the using.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

Depending on where you live will depend on whether I'd recommend a dedicate sub maker or not especially since we are talking about Energy subs which are stellar performers.

If you are in canada, then the Energy S12.3 would be a great candidate.
      Acording to the recent testing by Tom Nousaine, the S12.3 outperformed the well renowned Veldoyne 15" FSR15

If you are in the US, then SVS is a good recommendation and provides great bang for the buck. They aren't as good of a value in Canada because of the brokerage and shipping fees as well as converting the US price to Canadian funds.

If you are anywhere else then you need to do the $$ comparisons but SVS is great bang for the buck. The S12.3 is too.

Comment

• markb571
        • Aug 2005

Thanks for the quick responses and the input so far. I should have specified in my original post that I'm in Brisbane - Australia.

The more I get into this, the more choices there seem to be (and the more confused I seem to get). I've now decided to move away from Energy and go for Paradigm (Studios). The Energy sub (S12) can be had for around AUD$1500, and something like the Velodyne CHT-12R is somewhere around $1599. Not sure if this is an even match based on sound.

Anyway, thanks for your input. More to think about.

Mark.

Comment

• brendon
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by markb571
          Thanks for the quick responses and the input so far. I should have specified in my original post that I'm in Brisbane - Australia.

The more I get into this, the more choices there seem to be (and the more confused I seem to get). I've now decided to move away from Energy and go for Paradigm (Studios). The Energy sub (S12) can be had for around AUD$1500, and something like the Velodyne CHT-12R is somewhere around $1599. Not sure if this is an even match based on sound.

Anyway, thanks for your input. More to think about.

Mark.
          Hi Mark ,HSU subs has an agent in Australia and will give in home trials for a modest restocking fee (Actually I think they maybe doing a special deal with free in home trials at the moment.)they appear to be the second biggest internet only Sub maker after SVS and have a good rep as far as I can tell,I will be giving them a go myself early next year when funds build up again.I looked at importing a SVS but I think going with a local outlet may be a safer bet and will have to wear the extra cost of going through an agent.
          I listened to the 10" energy sub recently (for a small room) but will have to go back for a proper listening session as I did not have a suitable demo disc of my own with me.
          Brendon

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Mark,
            If you read the output charts, you will see that the CHT 15(larger than the one you are comparing) is there and it as well was outgunned by the Energy.

Brendon,
            What pricing does HSU offer in Australia? I'm waiting until the HO models come out to see if I want to go that route or not.

Comment

• brendon
              • Aug 2004

Hi Shane, Try hsuresearch.com.au 1 AUD =0.76 to 0.77 USD approx
              No pricing on the HTO's last time I looked but hopefully they will be available to audition in Australia by the time I am ready to buy early next year.
              Would be interested to hear any opinions of people who have been able to audition against other well known brands.I am most likely looking at VTF2 model.Anybody heard the HO series yet?
              Brendon

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Nobody has reliability heard the HO series yet. Maybe a few beta testers but that's it.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

If I was in the market for a sub, a Nousaine recommendation would certainly push me to consider a particular sub. His measurements and comments about the Energy would put it on a short list for me.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"