X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefteris
    • Feb 2005

The question remains the same

Hey everyone!

I've been considering lately several options in amplifyinng my system, since I'm stuck with a sony reciever (STB - 840) that has great pre-amp functions, but its amplification stages suck... I have a 5.0 system, (no sub...) and I use it mostly for music. So, I thought at first to go with a 5-channel amp, but it wouldn't go so well with music. So a 3-channel amp and a stereo amp for my fronts would actually be better. I've been considering the anthem's MCA - 30, and rotel's RMB - 1095. Also, parasound's A-52 seems nice. As you can tell, I haven't auditioned any of these. I know adcom has a 3 channel amp, but frankly I haven't found any others.... The thing is that if I could find a relatively musical 5 channel amp that would be the best, but I have my reservations for rotel's 1095. Moreover, I saw that anthem released a new amp, A5. Anybody heared this amp?

Generally, any help would be great guys, I'm looking for a big S/N ratio, and the amp should be able to produce alot of current, since my speakers are relatively demanding for thir price. The are B&W's 604S3, 602S3 and an LCR 600S3.

I think that this is a problem that torments most of us, and truly I don't think that there's an amp that can drive a setup like my own fairly adequately, and with a cost below 2000 Euros.

Waiting for some replies!

Cheers mates
    Miles Smiles
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

First I would say check with our sponsors, Next Level AV at top of page, and a sponsor that does not have an ad up as yet, Media Design. But since you are international, that does make it more of a challenge I guess.

As a last resort, you could look for a used Proceed HPA-3 in Europe. Fantastic amp at 250 watts per channel X 3. Money wise, these are still probably fairly expensive, though not sure exactly how much. I'd say it was 5K US$ when new. So, something less than 2500 US$ used for a high quality amp.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lefteris
      • Feb 2005

I hate to say this, but I'm located in Athens, Greece! Hence, my selection is fairly limited. However, the Proceed amp seems nice, but still a little too much for me (or is it?) Thanx for the help, any other suggestions would be hot here!

How about the yamaha RXV 2500 instead of a power amp? But how musical can it get?
      Miles Smiles

Comment

• Patt
        • Feb 2005

I've been looking at 2 channel and integrated amps for a while now and I've never owned one. When I do make a decision there is a good chance I will buy from an online vendor.

There are so many choices here in the states it is mind boggling, you named a few of what is available here. It is my understanding there will be quite a step up in power and control of the speaker with a dedicated amp versus a reciever. Around here Yamaha is a popular unit along with Harmon Kardon and Denon for the all in one convenience package.

Let me add I have never really heard someone say an amp wasnt musical. The S/N ratio is something I never considered either or heard anyone else talk much about.

Good luck on your search
        ......Pat

Comment

• Lefteris
          • Feb 2005

Thanx, Pat.

Either way, the S/N ratio is quite important, since it expresses whether you'll hear alot of hiss when the soundtrack of the movie or music source has a silent part. Furthermore, it gives a preety good idea whether the amp has alot of current to deliver, especially when you don't set the volume too high. Lately, the anthem products have grapsed my attention, so I'll just have to demo them. If I had the money, by the way, I'd stay as far away from recievers as possible... but unfortunately I don't!

Cheers
          Miles Smiles

Comment

• Patt
            • Feb 2005

I'm curious...How do you like your B&W 604's? I auditioned them a couple times in the past in a less than ideal setup but eventually settled on Paradigm studio 40's.

I'd be glad to hear what you end up with....I've been considering an integrated or some mono-blocks for some time now.

As they say.....enjoy the hunt.
            ......Pat

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"