Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I've picked out a HT system for my new house

We've decided to go with this for our HT system when our house is rebuilt:

Bose Lifestyle 28 Series II

I'm thinking of using this television:

Daewoo DTQ-27S5FC 27-inch Television

Has anyone used this combo in their system? I'm looking for a system that excels in both 2 channel and surround sound (I have an extensive collection of vinyl and SACDs) and something that will shake the floor during action movies. I hear Bose makes the best stuff, so what do you think?

KJP
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Excellent, what ever you do, make sure you get Silver Cats through out to bring out all the subtle details that system will deliver. 8)
    Bing

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

:roll:... You don't know anything about home theater. Everyone knows the new 3-2-1 Bose system is the best...

Newb... :B
      ~Nick

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Really? I thought more speakers was better, so I went with the system that comes with 5 of them, plus that awesome subwoofer!

I'll have to check out that 3-2-1 system next time I'm at the Bose store. I'll have to ask the helpful salespeople which system I should get. Decisions, decisions...

Oh, I have one other question. How come when I watch movies on DVD I only get half a picture? I mean, only the middle part of the screen has a picture, the top and the bottom are black!? When I watch the Lifetime channel on cable the entire screen has a picture! Is there something I have to do to make my DVDs show the entire picture??

Silver Cats Bing? I hate cats! They shred the furniture and shed all over the place, and that smelly litter box! And they always want to play and be cuddled when I want to be left alone! Danged felines, it's all my wife's fault, she wanted one of those pointy-eared rodents!

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Are you buying the Director's Cut dvds? If not, there's your problem. Only these discs display over the entire screen.
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• RickS
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

I'll have to go out and check out that amazing audio setup......DVD-A should sound great.

Rick

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Kev, why don't you go to the head of the class and get one of those systems that does the full surround-sound with just one speaker? Less cables to buy, less SAF to deal with. C'mon man, get with the times! :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ekkoville
                • Aug 2004

Man, all that "performance" in suck, I mean such a small package! There is the future right there!

Comment

• Patt
                  • Feb 2005

Think of the upgrade possibilities!
                  Later on down the road you could pick up another Lifestyle 28.....Then you could have two High end systems with twice as many speakers for only twice the price.
                  ......Pat

Comment

• hhcan
                    • Mar 2005

Everyone knows Bose makes the worst speakers and hype up their price. The more you listen to it, the more fatique you get. Bose also augments the sound from the original records. It seems to me that way because it absolutely not acurate at all. I listened to it many times coming to my in law's house and at the Bose store. There are many thing I hear from my speakers but didn't show up when played with Bose. However, I must admit Bose makes a good impression the first minute when you start listening. You would think that it's a great speaker. That impression won't last. I thought about buying Bose when I first started looking for speaker a year ago too and I can tell you, for the same price, you can get something much better.

However, if you like the Bose sound, go for it; but try to listener to it for more than an hour to see if it's still make you feel good. It didn't work for me though.

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

I think hhcan forgot what day it is today...

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                        • Apr 2005

He seems very serious

This thread might be largely satirical

Satire=
                        implies an attempt to be amusing or provocative by saying usually the opposite of what is meant

Happy april 1st
                        Andrew

Comment

• Patt
                          • Feb 2005

Pssssst......Dexter, it is April 1st :W
                          ......Pat

Comment

• Nick M
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

~Nick

Comment

• hhcan
                              • Mar 2005

Crap, you guys got me. No wonder I was so confusing about reading your posts; especially the "full surround-sound with just one speaker?". Man, at least I made you laugh!

Comment

• marshahu_cr
                                • Aug 2003

Surround sound with two speakers?? I never thought those algorithms actually work. They sound good on paper but when I actually audition them they are nowhere near as good the real thing. Whilst these fake surround technologies do sound better than stereo most of them just distort the soundtrack.

Take one popular algortihm which is used in many 2CH Denon systems. When listening to my music or watching downloaded TV Shows using Dolby Virtual Speaker the surround effects are processed well but the main dialogue and stereo material is distorted especially on the Wide 1 and Wide 2 setting - the reference setting doesn't sound that much different to stereo unless you really listen carefully. Also because all the effects and ambient music from all channels are being processed into two speakers, the effects can drown out the dialogue - especially when watching the Simpsons encoded in Dolby Surround there are scenes where there is an orchestra playing and someone is talking - with the Virtual Speaker algorithm the orchestra drowned out the dialogue!!

Don't get me wrong Dolby Virtual Speaker makes music and moveis sound better than stereo but it's no replacement for the real McCoy - you want proper surround sound your gonna have to roll your sleevs up, deal with a heap load of wires and speakers and have as much fun setting these systems up as these guys do!!

Comment

• Kevin P
                                  • Aug 2000

I'm closing this thread as it was originally intended to be an April Fool's joke. I'm not putting any Bose stuff in my new HT, nor am I going to try and get full surround effects out of a single speaker.

If you want to continue your discussion on Dolby Virtual Speaker, etc. feel free to start a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"