X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cfarha
    • Mar 2005

Amplifier Recommendations

Need some advice on good 5 channel amplifiers that will match up nicely with B&W 803’s.

To begin with I will be using an NAD receiver as my processor. I will eventually upgrade the processor, so that needs to be somewhat taken into consideration.

Your thoughts on the differences between Aragon, Anthem, Rotel and any others that you may recommend would be great.

Use will be 50/50 music/HT. I’ll be looking at used equipment to save some $, but will only look to the latest models. My budget is around $1500 but will go up to $2K if needed.

Your help with the subtle differences in amps is appreciated. Thanks - Chris
    Last edited by cfarha; 31 March 2005, 13:10 Thursday.
  • Mia
    • Mar 2005

cfarha-

I would stay away from Rotel, (though many will disagree with me) as I've rarely found them to be powerful enough or detailed enough to drive speakers well. Rotel is like Beginner Hifi.

Check out AudioPort in Overland Park, there are some pretty good reps in there that can steer you in the right direction.

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

I have not heard these but they are very popular at the various forums. I know there is a long thread at AVS about it.

Used wise:
      Bryston 9b
      ATI
      Krell
      Earthquake

Are all popular.

Comment

• hidefdvd
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mia
        cfarha-

I would stay away from Rotel, (though many will disagree with me) as I've rarely found them to be powerful enough or detailed enough to drive speakers well. Rotel is like Beginner Hifi.

Check out AudioPort in Overland Park, there are some pretty good reps in there that can steer you in the right direction.
        Sorry but myself and others would have to disagree. My 1095 had no problems powering my Paradigm Studio's(v3).

On another note if you like the sound of your NAD then you may want to checkout SaturdayAudio as they have a NAD T163/NADS250 combo for $2300. Sell off you receiver to recoup some of the cost.

Comment

• jazznsoccer
          • Apr 2004

I'm happy with my Earthquake CineNova 5 which can be had for <$2.5k.
          It delivers 300-watts x 5 @ 8-ohms with less than 0.003% THD and 600-watts x 5 @ 4-ohms with less than 0.006% THD and 1000-watts x5 @ 2-ohms with less than 0.006% THD. I've been happy with it for aout 4 months now

Comment

• rdram
            • Mar 2005

cfarha,

I've been on a similar quest for almost two months now. If I could make one recommendation...take your time with the purchase. Listen to as many amps as possible, read reviews, join forums (like I did), pick peoples brains, and do the leg work. Don't discount any brand off hand. If you can, find a dealer that will loan equipment out for a weekend. I did, and he's got the sale when I finally purchase. I spent last weekend with a Rotel 1075 (only because the 1095 is not available to demo here). This weekend its an Anthem MCA50. Maybe next weekend a B&K 200.5. In your price range, there are many fine brands. My three choices are limited to whats available locally for me to audition. Shane listed some fine brands if you go the used route. There are Bryston amps listed all over the internet and they get rave reviews.

As for my impressions of the 1075, I'm currently running an Integra 7.1, 100w/ch receiver, so when I hooked up the 1075 (120w/ch), volume wise there wasn't a whole lot of difference. But what a difference in almost every other aspect! Soundstage opened up, better definition and detail, smoother high end, way better bass response. I spent most of the weekend listening to two channel with the sub off, something I haven't done in a long time. Next week I'll try and post some thoughts on the Anthem vs. the Rotel. But remember, its not what I think, its what you think. Put 100 people in a room and you'll get 100 different opinions. Your 803's eat watts, so the 1075 may not be enough amp for you, based on your listening room size and preferred volume levels. Take a look at the Rotel 1095. I'll know better next week which direction I'm going, but for $850 out the door, the Rotel 1075 will be hard to beat. The MCA will have to be really impressive to warrant more than double the expenditure. Any money you save on the amp end can go towards a higher end pre/pro...and IMO that's probably where most of the really important stuff is going on anyway. 1000watts a channel doesn't do you much good if your pre/pro 's got lousy bass management.

It may be beginner hi-fi, but when I finally hook up that good looking amp with the cool blue LED, I won't care.

Rich

Comment

• soldonandy
              • Mar 2005

Oh Mia, those are fighting words to many here (although I don't entirely disagree with what you said). Wait until Mr. Pratt finds out that you referred to his beloved Rotel as "beginner hifi". In fact there is a psuedo Dr. guy who will chime in that Rotel is "high value" not budget gear. All joking aside, this forum prides itself on peaceful exchanges of joy about audio gear, you may want to try the AVS forum, you'll find plenty of takers who will agree/debate with you on those sentiments.

Rotel is what it is, I actually find Rotel to be a little more refined than it's budget piers like Outlaw, ATI and Adcom. You find a good amount of complaints about the integrity of various Rotel gear but Rotel is a popular step up from the chain store stuff and people have pride of ownership, nothing wrong with that.

Comment

• cfarha
                • Mar 2005

Thanks all for your replies. I still haven't made my decision other than the fact that the N803's need more power than my NAD receiver has.

Rich,

Did you have a chance to review the Anthem vs. Rotel? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks - Chris

Comment

• DrBoom
                  • Dec 2003

I have 804's, and I started out with a Rotel 1075.
                  Trust me, you don't want to do that, I sold it after 3 months because it sounded absolutely terrible.
                  Maybe the 1095 is better, I don't know, never heard it.
                  I got myself a Parasound HCA2205AT, never regretted it at all.
                  If you can still find it, it sells for $1995 in the US, I don't think you can beat it at that price.
                  I got mine used, but it was in perfect mint condition, and it's worked great ever since I got it.
                  Parasound is a pretty good match for B&W, and is often seen together.

Comment

• cfarha
                    • Mar 2005

Thanks to all. Looks like I have struck a deal on a used Anthem MCA50. Should have in a week to 10 days and I'll post my thoughts.

MCA50 and the AVM30 had a good review on HomeTheaterMag: http://www.hometheatermag.com/preamp...ors/305anthem/ not that it is the end all be all by any means. Should pair up well with the N803's (I hope).

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"