X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

Component video vs. DVI

Hi there,
    Am in the process of looking at replacing my current player(DVD) which is a Marantz DV 8300, with a Denon 3910. Main reason is to make use of the DVI capability of my In Focus 5700.
    Then I came upon this article:http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/122868.html
    Anyone changed from component to DVI and what did you experience:
    Night and Day? or imagined?
    Thanks.
  • Radec
    • Jan 2005

The answer--unsatisfying, perhaps, but true--is that it depends. It depends upon your source and display devices, and there's no good way, in principle, to say in advance whether the digital or the analog connection will render a better picture. You may even find, say, that your DVD player looks better through its DVI or HDMI output, while your satellite or cable box looks better through its component output, on the same display. In this case, there's no real substitute for simply plugging it in and giving it a try both ways.
    Good article.
    I am in the process of building my theatre and the above reason is why I ran DVI and Component from my Rack up through the ceiling to where the projector will be mounted. I am guessing that as the author above said the picture quality might change from component to component. Plus, when I change DVD palyers, projectors, or any other component (which I'm going to do :twisted: ) I'll have to explore the best option again!!

Im about a week I'll post which looks better for my setup.

Rad

Comment

• georgev
      • Jul 2004

Look forward to hearing what your experience is with both. I have bee running component till now and have been quite happy, but with the desire to get an even better picture I decided to change players.

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

I agree "it depends" is often the answer, but I believe with the components you have you will see a small but worthwhile improvement.

I went from component to a DVI deck and the result was very worthwhile. Cleaner picture, and after calibrating to the new source, was able to get my projector a little closer to its optimum contrast.

BB

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

No difference here but I own a CRT set.

Comment

• brendon
            • Aug 2004

Hi ,here is another article on the subject https://www.projectorcentral.com/DVI...onnections.htm
            Brendon

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"