X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doug S
    • Dec 2004

Sub recommendation

Can anyone recommend a moderatly priced decent Home theater sub? I am using Axiom fronts [M3's]and rears [QS2's]and a Paradigm center....power with a Yam.5280......I am looking at a Mirage LF150...Any advice would be welcome.....thanks
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What's moderatly priced to you? In the $500 price range I'd highly recomend any of the following.

This website is for sale! svsubwoofers.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, svsubwoofers.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

This website is for sale! svsubwoofers.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, svsubwoofers.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

What he said ... or a DIY unit if you've got the skills....
      Jason

Comment

• Neal_C
        • Feb 2003

For the most damaged picture frames and angry neighbors for your buck, definitely consider SVS.

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

I heard a 25-31 recently in my friends' smaller home theater room. I was literally amazed at the level of bass I was expereicing for $500. I don't believe there is much that can touch this for this amount of cash.

Comment

• Doug S
            • Dec 2004

Thankyou all for your imput thusfar.....I was hoping to stay around the the three hundred dollar mark.....but at the risk of sacraficing quality,sound & happiness.....I may have to kick in a couple hundred more bucks

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Doug if you can I'd HIGHLY sugguest saving up for one of the models listed above. The cheaper subs tend to bottom out when watching bass intensive movies or sound bloated since they don't extend down deep enough to fully cover the low freq effects in todays movies. The end result is a sub that you can never get to integrate with your other speakers properly and so sooner or later you end up selling it and upgrading anyway.

Comment

• Patt
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Neal_C
                For the most damaged picture frames and angry neighbors for your buck, definitely consider SVS.
                Oh my Gosh....that get's a smile from me.

Sorry, I don't have any DIY recommendations.
                ......Pat

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

The DIY road is certinaly an option though if you've got any woodworking skill as all (or know someone that does) Building subwoofers is extremely easy and can be very cost effective...though to be honest the Rava that Adire sells is pretty much at cost as far as parts go so it would be my suggestion if $500+ is too much.

Comment

• billz260
                    • Dec 2004

For $300 you can build a Adire 12" Shiva Box. I have had mine for about a month or so and it rocks! I havn't heard an SVS for comparison so I can't help you there, but if you want an easy DIY project build one

Just another note, a freind helped pic the box design but it's tuned for 27Hz I believe and if I had any fillings, I'm almost positive I would have lost one by now... :B

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

The Shiva is approximately equal to the non improved SVS driver so depending on which alignment you built you could consider it pretty much equal as far as output goes.

Comment

• Neal_C
                        • Feb 2003

If you have to, just wait a month or two longer until you can save up enough money. You would be better off waiting and getting a better sub, than spending $300 now and feeling the need to upgrade in 6 months.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2001

Neal is correct and took the words out of my mouth.

Having heard the Rava and the 25-31, The 25-31 squashes it.

Comment

• Doug S
                            • Dec 2004

Thanks much.....I'm going to wait on that cheaper sub and opt for a better on down the road....so for now I can keep the pictures on the wall ... lol.....and my neighbors??....HUMMMMM.....?

Comment

• Jim-surround
                              • Feb 2005

You may want to look at Sunfire Subs. I have one and it is very, very clean and gets way down there. I don't know what they are going for now, so I'm not sure how Sunfire might match up with your budget.

If you want to check Sunfire out: www.sunfire.com
                              We're all Bozo's on this bus.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"