X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdecker
    • Jun 2002

Im looking for a new receiver

Im in the market for a new receiver, budget is no more than $2500.

I currently have a Rotel RSX-1055(preamp)and 7 channels of Rotel amps(RB1070 and 985mkII). I use Klipsch speakers and SVS subs. The Rotel equipment will be sold to help finance the receiver.

I'm trying to cut down on the number of electronics as space is becoming tighter. We have 2 young children and priorities are changing. So please stay to the topic of receivers. Im currently just using the 1055 in a 5.1 setup, I plan on running a 7.1 system.

I am looking at the following receivers:

Rotel RSX-1067($2199)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi($1500)
    B&K 307

Anyone here using any of these receivers? Any other receivers to recommend. If I go with the Pioneer I may be able to get one of the Pioneer universal players with I-link.

Im partial to the Rotel, as I currently am using it. Are the DACs and processers in the 1067 comparable to the 1068 preamp or the 1055 receiver?

I've heard great things about the B&K receivers.

TIA
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

If I may throw 3 others to audition:

Yamaha RX-V2500
    Marantz SR 7500/8500
    Denon-2805/3805

okay that's actually 5 but check out the feature set and see what applies to you needs....processing wise they will be mostly similar it's just amplification is where they'll be mostly different.

Having young kids Dolby Headphone may become your friend and that would give you good reason to further audition the Yammie (has their own proprietary version) and the Marantz has Dolby headphone...

Mind you is the main purupose movies or 2-channel. What's the mix...you mentioned 7.1 so I'm guessing 80/20 movies/2-channel or something like that.

Note Rotels still don't have a headphone jack which requires an additional purchase of a headphone amp (more $$$).
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

Any news of a 4805 from denon? If they make one, that will probably be a good one to look at, since it will have trickel down technology from the 5805.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I've spent a little time with the 1067 and its a very capable receiver that will be very similar in sound to what you have now...which is to say great! The 1067 will get you the newer features like the video upconversion and PLIIx that your 1055 currently lacks and the display is nicer on the 1067 being larger.

Comment

• CJ Paul
          • Oct 2004

Since you mentioned that you are trying to cut back on pieces of gear, I'm assuming you wont be using a receiver AND an amp. That being the case, from a current Yamaha + amp owner, I'd caution against Yamaha if your room is big at all. The last 3 years, Yamaha has fallen grossly short of their rated output levels in their non-flagship models.

Sound & Vision tested the 2400 which the 2500 replaces and it only put out 35wpc all channels driven. A lot of receivers dont put out their rated wattage with all channels driven, but that's pathetic.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Some info I've picked up:

1. B&K has a new line coming out called the Series II. Should be doable in your range.

The 307 appears to be toast.

2. The 4805/6 is coming but at $3500 and has I-Link, HDMI, and the super Audessey EQ in the 5805.

Denon AVR-4806 THX Ultra2 Certified 7-channel A/V Surround Receiver
            Model nomenclature aside (most people think this is the AVR-4805, while Denon has informed us that the official model # is AVR-4806), this new receiver from Denon will have other manufacturers scrambling to match its capabilities, especially at its $3,500 MSRP. The features list on this unit is pretty robust to say the least:

THX Ultra2 certification and processing
            7 x 130 Watts per channel (8-ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.05% THD)
            IEEE 1394 interface (2)
            Audyssey MultEQ System (room EQ/calibration and setup)
            DVI-HDCP input
            3x1 HDMI switching
            Auto surround back channels ON function for autodetection of supporting sources
            The AVR-4805 owes much of its chassis design to its more technologically advanced, critically acclaimed sibling, the AVR-5805. We look forward to reviewing this receiver and are pleased that several components such as Audyssey's MultEQ and DVI/HDMI switching are trickling down the product line.

Available April

3. I would suggest you look at the following other receivers:

Arcam 300 - seem to find quite a few QC issues though
            NAD T773 - See Arcam
            Sherwood Newcastle R965 - this is a beast

Of the bunch you posted, the Elite is a stellar piece. Elite + Klipsch is good.

The biggest knocks on the Rotel/NAD/Arcam niche' receivers is they lack the Room EQ and auto setup functions of the more up to date receivers. Missing the room EQ is a big mistake IMHO.

Comment

• Jraducha
              • Aug 2004

I own a RSX-1067 and I would like to say that I am overly happy with the product. It sounds great and it is easy to use. I have owned many different recievers..from Denon...I switched to Rotel and havent looked back....I highly recommend the 1067...

Comment

• sdecker
                • Jun 2002

Gordon,

The Marantz 8500 looks good. Im not interested in Yamaha or Denon. My Rotel dealer also carries Marantz. Thanks for the heads up.

Andrew,

The 1067 is at the top of the list. I love my current Rotel stuff, sounds great its just taking up too much space. I figure the 1067 will be very close to what I'm used to. Besides there is something nice about having a companys flagship receiver.

Shane,

The Sherwood R965 sounds pretty good. I need to do some more research.

Earle

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

Sdecker,
                  Marantz has a new flagship coming too that will feature a vast majority of what the Denon 4806 has. Remember, Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company.

The new Marantz 9600 is due out in March/April. While it will have a list of $3500, You might be able to swing it for your range. The biggest gains you will get over the Rotel will be:

THX Ultra 2
                  Firewire for a digital link for SACD/DVD-A
                  HDMI switching(will be nice for future stuff like HDDVD)
                  Room Correction/EQ

Marantz America introduced its flagship Model SR9600 THX Ultra-certified A/V receiver (SRP $3,499), which joins the company's recently introduced SR8500 ($SRP: $1,599).…

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

As I understand, the Denon 4806 will be better than the 5803. I will be going for training on the 5805, 4806, and 5910 in a couple of weeks. I'll report back what I have learned.

I'd agree Shane, the S-N R-965 is an awesome and very underrated unit.

Jim
                    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• hidefdvd
                      • Jan 2005

My votes for the 56TXi. Beautiful looking and sounding unit. :T

hidefdvd

Comment

• sdecker
                        • Jun 2002

I ened up going with a B&K 507. Found one local at a great price.

THis is a serious receiver. Tons of power and sounds great. I dont think I downgraded only downsized. If this was my first receiver I would have been overwhelmed while setting it up. I new the 507 was flexable, but WOW. Glad the manual is fairly easy to understand.

Comes with a great remote too(MX-700). Of course now I have to learn how to program it. SOftware doesnt seem more complex.

more to come...

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Excellent Earle! :T

Keep us posted on your thoughts, how you enjoy it, etc.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2001

Did you get a series II?

Comment

• sdecker
                              • Jun 2002

No I got the original series

Comment

• anthonyh
                                • Feb 2005

I am sort of in the same boat, except that my budget is considerable less. Right now I have been auditioning the Elite VSX-56TXi and the Rotel RSX-1056. I have already removed Yamaha 2500, Denon 3805, NAD-T763 and Marantz 8500 from my list. The Sherwood and Marantz do not really have retailers in the Austin, TX area where I live. I am wanting to stay at or below $1500 +or- a $100 or so. I am pairing them up with Phase Tech's Teatro Series speakers on a 5.1 system. I am upgrading from a Carver HR-895 Pro Logic receiver that has served me extremely well over the past 12 years. I am looking for an upgrade that can do the same. After some trial A/B tests in my home, I'm not convinced either the 56TXi or RSX-1056 sound as good in 2 channel as my Carver. Your input and thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"