X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macvidguy
    • Dec 2004

Anyone have good inwall speakers?

I am now looking toward inwalls. Wife pleasing and architech pleasing unfortunately. But this may allow me to pick up another hockey team and play another night a week.

Anyhew, am looking at B&W, Polk, Speakercraft, Infinity (less).

Anybody have any opinions, I know that I should be looking for some back boxes, caskets, or speaker cells to properly enclose. This is also all pre construction so I have some options.

Powering with a Denon 2805, will be doing 5.1 with future option of 6.1.

Thanks,
    Mac.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Mac.
    8O
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Sonnance and Elan make some great in-walls/in-celings too. Earthquake as well.
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If you're a bit of a builder of stuff, there are some interesting things that can be built.

One is to use the Magnepan MMGs as built-ins. All these need is to be attached to the studs and to cripples at the top and bottom. They have significantly more radiating area that any standard cone/dome combo. They also sound very good. I use a pair of MMGs for my rear effects channel.

Another equally state of the art option is to use the B&G RD Series Planars These have available metal grills or colored socks for in-wall applications.

Several people have used the RD40, 50, 75 as inwalls with a midwoofer at the bottom of the stud bay.

I realize that there are a bit unconventional ideas. I assure you that they are well worth the extra effort to create.

If you have any questions as to how to utilize either of these drive units, I can basically walk you through the process since I have both kinds. My mains contain RD-75s.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Klipsch also makes 3 lines of great sounding inwall speakers. As a builder I can testify that they are easy to install and as asthetically pleasing as any of them out there.

One feature that you should look for is paintable grills. Many manufacturers use perforated metal that they back up with ultra thin acoustical mesh cloth. When you then try to paint them the cloth clogs and the speaker sounds muffeled.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Rolyasm
          • Dec 2004

I listened and I cried.

Mac,
          I am also starting from scratch, building a home and HT. I have been listening to all kinds of speakers. For in-wall, the best I have heard were Triad Silver mini monitors. They sounded better to me than the other speakers I was listening to, including the B & W 703 ($3,000/pair), Energy Veritas2.4($2,000/pair) and the
          M & K THX certified 750/850 series ($1,000/pair) and Def. Tech 7,000 ($3,000/pair).
          They had setup for 7.1, but I only listened to 5.1. The imaging was incredible. I could close my eyes and tell exactly where the voice, noise, whatever was coming from. The only problem for me is the price. They are $2,800 pair. My budget is about 10k for the entire system, so this would take me over my budget, though I am considering taking out a loan. I don't know anything about speakers, so this is just my untrained ear's opinion.
          Roly
          P.S. Good luck. Let me know if you find any great deals or have any great ideas on HT setup.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Adam,

I just noticed you're in Denver, as am I :T

Drop me an email, perhaps we can get together and discuss some options.

Since you're looking for 'hidden' speakers, you might find my my subwoofer an interesting alternative to a standard design. You're invited for an audition if you want. :wink:

Just so people don't get confused; theAudioWorx and KloneAudio are not businesses, they're hobbiest DIY websites ..... 8)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Recently read a very favourable review of the PSB in walls. Worth a look I'd say
              Jason

Comment

• Fishy
                • Jul 2004

Kef's Ci range of flush mount speakers might also be worth a look. Ci Range

Fish

Comment

• macvidguy
                  • Dec 2004

Hey all,

Thanks for the info. Thomas, didn't know you were in the area. Since the basement is going over budget I am trying to get away with some mid level (for me at least, low for you guys) range speakers. In Boulder there isn't a ton of actual listening options. I have heard some B&W, Boston, Polk, Infinity, Speakercraft, Niles, etc. The problem is, the shops all carry the model that is either way above, or below my range. Cheap bugger that I am, my budget is about 400/speaker not including the sub.

To be perfectly honest, a pair of Speakercraft MT6.3 have been the nicest sounding...even compared to their MT8.3 at about $1000 more a pair.

Ah well...the listening goes on. Thanks for all the input and advice. I found a couple of reviews on www.hometheatermag.com searching for inwall.
                  Thanks in Advance,
                  Mac.
                  8O

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"