X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bradu
    • Dec 2004

Center Channel Placement TV offset on Right

Hi,

Just wondering if I still want to place the center channel speaker on top of the TV even though it is not in the center of the room.

I have a built in TV shelf in my familyroom which is on the right side of the room.

If I place the center channel speaker on top of the TV it will sit roughly 1 ft inside and 1 ft below the front right channel speaker. Is that going to be OK, or will the two speakers "muddy" the sound coming from one another?

Cheers,
    Brad
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Brad, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

Keep the CC as close to the TV as possible as that will reinforce the illusion that the dialog is coming from the screen and not a source somewhere in the room. One foot separation? If at all possible, I'd try to get a bit more, as this miminal distance will compress the soundstage on that side of the TV when compared to the other side. It may not muddy the sound - that depends on a number of factors not necessarily related to the distance between the CC and main speakers.

Good luck.

P.S. Can you move the main further from the TV? Or, is it built into the cabinet also?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• bradu
      • Dec 2004

Right Main Channel

Hi Dave,

I'm glad to be here! Thanks for the advice..., it's my first home theatre so it's cheap and will require some fine tuning.

Unfortunatley my family room cabinet is built in oak cabinetry with shelving above the TV shelf. The right main will sit on a shelf above and slightly to the right of the TV.
      I will try to move it as far right as I can and maybe put it up one shelf higher with a downward tilt. I guess it'll have to be trial and error for the time being.

I have found no-name 12 awg and 14 awg speaker wire and am soldering on gold banana plugs from Radio Shack, again cheap but should do the trick for now. I did some rough calculations and I am planning to use 14 awg for the front 16 ft speaker cables and 12 awg for the rear 25 footers. That way the cable impedance should be about equal front and back. For the sub I am picking up some RG-6 Coax and some gold RCA connectors, also cheap but better than what comes with the HTIB. The component cable for the TV to dvd player is prolink, and a monster digital coax for the digital audio connection from the receiver to the dvd player.

As you can tell it certainly is not a high end system but it'll be better than the stereo speakers from the TV.

Cheers,
      Brad

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"