X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Pre-Amp Processor

Any products/manufactures or recommendations for a home theater preamp with the bells and whistles and great decoding?

Under $2k USD?
    Over $2k USD?
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

This will be a decent list for sure!

Here are the ones I am thinking of:

UNDER $2K USD:

Rotel RSP-1068
    Sherwood Newcastle P-965
    Anthem AVM-20

OVER $2K USD:

Rotel RSP-1098
    B&K Ref-50 (2)
    Anthem AVM-30
    Anthem Statement D1
    Bryston SP 1.7 (no bells & whistles just phenomenal sonics)
    Arcam AV8
    Parasound Halo C1 or C2
    Krell
    Lexicon MC-12

Probably many more I am forgetting about.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• JürgenW
      • Jul 2004

For over $2K USD, I would add:

Audionet MAP V2 (from German origin)

Jürgen

Comment

• ekkoville
        • Aug 2004

I have heard great things about the NAD T163, under $2K. Personally, I am happy my 1068. Would love to own Bryston some day.

Erik

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

I really like the customization properties of the BK 50, but don't have a clue of what the sound quality is.

Main thing is Dolby Digital EX/DTS decoding/pro logic 2. I could care less about any other simulation sound field.

I would like 2 sets of SACD/DVD-A as well....and HDMI video switching. More than 3 component video inputs...etc

Seems like I have to spend over 2k to get all these features. I hate to say it, but I wish denon would release just a pre-processor of their 5805? Reciever....it seems to have all the features i'm looking for.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

It appears from my recent studying that the Sherwood Newcastle P-965 uses the same chipset as the Rotel 1098 and has more features. I sent an email to Sherwood and they arent planning on replacing it until 2006. They are commited to upgrading it via firmware and are currently looking to add a parametric EQ to it. Oh ya, it is about the same price as the Rotel 1056 also. I have a great connection for getting a good price on this unit if anyone is interested PM me.
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

Fair enough, I haven't posted in any of the other categories.

Is there a link to better cables? No, you don't need one in the pre/processor but its just one less box to deal with. In my opinion the idea of a pre/processor or reciever is to be the switching device for video/audio.

What information can you share about the sherwood? Website link to the specifications?

Is there a way to move this thread to an appropiate location in the forum?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2003

JazznSoccer,

Is there a way to move this thread to an appropiate location in the forum?
                Your wish is my command

Geoff

Comment

• junior77blue
                  • Nov 2004

Any more thoughts on this topic before it dies?

Comment

• junior77blue
                    • Nov 2004

I'm still debating between the following:

Rotel RSP-1068
                    Adcom GTP-880
                    Rotel RSP-1098
                    B&K 50

They have all recieved good reviews, its extremely hard for me to purchase something like this since no store has more than one and some stores do not even carry them. Mail order only.

So, I'm at the mercy of people's opinions and personal experiecnes.

Comment

• hired goon
                      • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by junior77blue
                      I'm still debating between the following: Rotel RSP-1068 ....
                      You might want to check out this thread comparing the Rotel RSX-1056 receiver to the Rotel RSP-1068 pre/pro. Some people reckon that the sound quality of the 1056 is the same as that of the more expensive 1068. In addition, the 1056 also has a tuner and an inbuilt 5x75w amp.

So: listen to the 1056 if you are thinking about the 1068.

--Geoff

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Junior:

Why not consider the Sherwood Newcastle P-965? It has received rave reviews and is every bit as good as any that you mention and a tad more economical.

If you are looking for a tuner to go along with your pre-pro, it has it. It also has automatic room equalization (I believe S-N is still providing new owners a free microphone too).

Just wondering why you seem so shy about this unit.

Jim

Comment

• junior77blue
                          • Nov 2004

Probably the main reason I'm shying away from the Sherwood is the fact it only comes in silver...(As far as I can tell). So, if it comes in black then I would consider it as well.

I have a seperate tuner connected to my stereo preamp, so not necessary.

I like the adcom for a couple of reasons....I mainly have adcom equipment, it has 2 sets of multichannel input.

I like the Rotel 1098, because of the display, upgradebility, 4 sets of component inputs.

B&K....no specific reasons, except that it has had good reviews.

Like I said, its hard for me to make a decision but the factors I'm looking for:
                          Sound/Video Quality;
                          Decoding Capability;
                          Ease of use;
                          Connectivity, (i.e. 2 sets of multichannel in/4 components video in)
                          Upgradebility;

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

I wouldnt rely on the upgradeability of the 1098 to last much longer. That unit has been out for 2 years. When I bought my 1055 they pushed it being upgradeable and there has not been 1 upgrade out for it since I bought it. Rumor is they will release an HDMI update for it, but that will probably be the last thing.

I will be selling my Rotel 1055 in January and probably never buy Rotel again. I just have no confidence in them. I have been reading up on the Sherwood P-965 and with people saying it has the same chipset as the anthem D1 and little noticeable difference in sound while carrying a very affordable price has me sold. Im not trying to sell this pre to you by any means, but I am in a similar situation of looking to upgrade my pre and I can't say I'd recommend Rotel on their promises of upgrading let alone that I'm tired that when audio types change there is a couple second silence for the processor to catch up and lip synch issues w/ my model. My old Yamaha never had those issues. These are not qualities I look for in a brand to want to upgrade to their flagship model.

Comment

• junior77blue
                              • Nov 2004

Thanks for the input, this is the kind of 'experience' i'm looking for. But I have read they will be offering a software upgrade on the 1098 early next year. Not sure what that will cover.

Is there physical proof the sherwood is the same as the anthem?

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

From a picture I saw, it appears the P-965 is available in a charcoal gray too. It has three component 'ins' vs. 4 on the Adcom and yes, only one set of multi-channel inputs but the P-965 has something the Adcom doesn't, it has 7.1 for multi-channel audio --- very futuristic. Do you currently have two multi-channel audio sources?

The Adcom, while perhaps matching your system, has an MSRP price tag of ~ $1,000 more than the MSRP of the P-965. If you don't have two multi-channel audio sources at present, this is a non-issue, IMO, as if you did in the future, there are devices available that allow for multiple multi-channel audio inputs to a single output. And if you currently have four video component sources, then the Adcom is a better choice (or maybe one of the others) unless you want to purchase an inexpensive outboard device that works extremely well that has 4 component 'ins' and 1 'out'.

I owned the 1098 and while it is a dynamite sounding pre/pro, the display is well overrated --- I thought it was useful early on but found it of no use later on and since I no longer have it, I don't miss it in the least. If you are thinking Rotel, the 1068 is a honey of a unit but it doesn't have as many inputs as the 1098.

Jim

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

the following taken from the links on AVS I sent you.

quote:
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  Originally posted by Razvanel
                                  That is very interesting. I have the Anthem D1 and recently heard the Anthem AVM30. In my opinion the difference between the two, sound wise, was minimal, if any. If the Sherwood sounds better than the AVM30 then it also sounds better than the D1. That would make the Sherwood the steal of the year and the D1 one of the most overpriced processors ever.

R
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's entirely possible. The P-965 shares parts with the likes of Meridian (DAC's), Krell and Arcam (DSP's). Actually, the P-965's DSP is more advanced than both the Krell Showcase and Arcam, and its DAC's are the same as Meridian.

and another:

just checked the specs for the D1 and it uses the same AD1896 upsampling chip as the P-965. Just does not have the user option to turn upsampling off like the Newcastle.

The D1 uses a higher quality AKM DAC (AK4395) than the AVM-30. The AK4395 DAC specs at THD+N = -100dB (2dB less than P-965) and DR = 120dB (6dB more that P-965).
                                  The D1 is not able to toggle the upsampling whereas the P-965 is.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                    • Nov 2004

I do have 2 units with multi-channel. A dedicated SACD and DVD-A...however they are in different rooms since I can't input them into a single preamp.

The Adcom only has 3 component video inputs. The rotel has 4.

The only company that i know of that has 2 multichannel inputs is the Adcom.

List Prices:

Adcom $2500
                                    Rotel 1098 $3000
                                    Rotel 1068 $1800
                                    Sherwood NewCastle $1500 IIRC

I wasn't aware they offter the sherwood in other faces than the aluminum.

Comment

• gd
                                      • Jan 2003

Another option @ $2500... Cary C6.

Two sets of multichannel inputs, but none of the video switching you're looking for (though IMO the kind of extensive video switching you seem to need is best done through an external unit).

Haven't heard it myself, but Cary enjoys a prestigious reputation, at least for their tubed gear.

greg (gd to you)
                                      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

junior77, if you're interested in either Rotel or Parasound, (or Integra, etc) feel free to stop by the specialized Clubs here on the Guide for more info. I'm in the Parasound one myself...
                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"