X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bundi1098
    • Nov 2004

Running Speaker Wire

I now have my new Receiver, Yamaha RX-V2500 , and have bought some good quality 12 gauge speaker wires from Parts Express, great people. Now I just need to run it. I am hooking up 7.1 so I need to run 4 lines to the rear. I know I need to be careful about running near electrical wires but do I need to separate the speaker wires?

I was thinking about running a pipe from the front of the room to the back and run the four wires in the pipe. I do not know if this is Audio sin.

Help.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Nope, not a sin. I've never come across anything saying speaker wires cannot be run side-by-side.

Now, when running the speaker wires, if you are in the attic or basement try to stay 2 feet away from electrical runs parallel to the speaker wires, and if you are crossing any electrical, be sure to do it at as close to 90 degrees (a right angle) as you possibly can.

P.S. If you are just running cables along the baseboard the last comments obviously don't apply.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Speaker wires carry high-level signals, unlike interconnects. They are virtually unsusceptible to interference as a result. Therefore, running them close together shouldn't affect the sound. Even having them near an electrical run shouldn't have much of an effect, though it's a good rule of thumb to keep them away from parallel electrical runs just to be safe.

This is why interconnects are shielded, and speaker wires are not.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"