X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bazzer
    • Nov 2004

Optical Connections?

I have recently purchased a dmre55 dvd recorder which has an optical out socket. My sony hifi also had an optical socket but I dont know if its IN or OUT.

Does anyone out there have any idea which it is likely to be?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Barry, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

First, let's make sure we are talking the same signal here. For receivers/pre-pros the word "optical" almost always is a designation for a Toslink-type connection which carries an audio signal. These are input into the receiver. Are we okay on that? Now, which Sony is it? We can look up the back panel and check that way, too.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bazzer
      • Nov 2004

David

Thanks for coming back so promptly.

The sony I have is MHC-NX3AV and on further investigation it appears to have a digital conection on the back which in the instruction manual says 'you can record from CD into the MD deck digitally by connecting an optical cable'.

I suppose my question really is can I use this connection between the stereo and DVD rather than use phono leads?

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yes you can. The difference here is that with the digital (optical) output you are using the DACs (Digital to Analog Converter) in the receiver, where with the RCA (L & R analog) jacks you are using the DACs in the DVD/CD player. If possible, listen to some music you are VERY familiar with through the analog, disconnect the two leads, connect the optical and listen to the same music again. You may be very surprised at the difference in the sound!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"