X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willbrosk
    • Sep 2004

update on speaker choice

I recently posted a request for some speaker advice on a 1500 dollar budget with klipsch and wharfedales as possible canidates, figured I would give a little update
    I decided I would simply just go listen to everything in my price range and buy what I liked best. After listening to the likes of B&W, def tech mirage and paradigm, the klipsch was completely taken off the list. It just could not compete in the terms of clarity or presence.
    For home theater I fell in love with the def tech 7002 with BPX surrounds. There were two problems: One they were out of my price range and the cheaper 7006s were simply poor. The other being I felt they just didnt do well with music.
    So on to paradigm: Overall fealt they were a great bang for buck speaker. Using the in store amp my only complaint was the mids were a bit lacking. Now I hooked them up to my yamaha 1500(yeah i wound up going for a bit better reciever) low and behold there is some truth to that whole yamaha and paradigm dont mix stuff. When connected to the yammy amp they went from a good speaker to something on par with infinity alphas.
    Ok now to the B&Ws 600series: I realy liked these speakers epecially with music the mids were excellent, the highs were nice and the base was adequate. They actually even sounded better attached to yammy amp than the dealer rotel. My only comment here is that I would definately have to go with the 604s the 603 just didnt have enough low frequency for me.
    So now we are back to one of my origonal choices the wharfedale evos. To my ear these we very close to the B&W for both music and movies. When comparing the Evos 30s to the 603s I would have a hard time picking a winner. Now when comparing them to the 604s, the 604s take the cake. As far as the evos 40s hmm not sure why but these were just not as good as the evo 30s even with the lower frequency range.
    I previewed many other speakers including saphire and mirage but didnt feel they needed a mention( the saphire audios were freaking awful)

So the overall winer is.................................
    Wharfedale evo 30s(620us shipped)
    Wharfedale evo center (195 us shipped)
    Def tech BPX surrounds (600 us shipped)
    sub to be determined
    yamaha rvx 1500 reciever(544 us shipped)
    denon 1910 dvd player
    sony 60we610 grand wega

So the reason I chose the wharfedale combo was price and real wood veneer. Plus I figure when I have the cash I will be upgrading to def tech 7002s for home theater(hince the bpx surrounds) and seperate B&W 604s for music. Please feel free to leave feedback or suggestions on a sub
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"