X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazznsoccer
    • Apr 2004

Down to the wire(s)...

Down to the wire(s)....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new construction is finally wrapping up and the cabinets for the entertainment wall are due in 10 weeks.

The new Sony SXRD 70" KDS70XBR100 is due the first part of January (I'd love to have it but too expensive right now so wil wait to see what shakes out mid year0. I've picked up the Arcam AV8 (got a great deal :B for a 2 month old demo which made the choice over the Bryston 1.7 and Anthem D1 - also great pre/pros which made this real tough, until I found this deal).

I'm still debating between the Arcam DV27A and Denon 3910 as the DVD player. I have seen sikoniko's post about a 5910 due in a couple months and also the talk on HD formats so I'll hold tight for a few weeks (unless I stumble onto another deal).

I've been really torn between the Revel Ultima Studios and the B&W Nautilus 802s, but think I'll go with the N802s since the HTM1 & SCMs cost a lot less than the Voice and Embrace. And although I'm mostly into this level of equipment for music, if I spend this much I'll want it for HT as well.

I'm considering the CineNova Grande 5 for the amp if I can find it at the right price. (I'm making some calls tomorrow - thanks for the leads guys!)

At this point I'll stick with the 5.1 format since I'm more than a little over budget. After all I have to leave something for upgrades in 2006... then I can add some N805s and an upgrade amp for the N802s. A question for the forum - how critical is it to have the same amp for the center as the mains? Hey Jim, maybe you could unplug that Bryston 7B and drive the center with your CineNova to check it out....

Also, with the N802s I'm not sure about the need for a sub, so that's another upgrade item to be "savored" for later.

I guess I have to turn to Lex for some advice on the wires. I've also posted in the cat cables area to get into cables.

Thanks to all the folks on the forum who have helped immensely in convincing me to spend far more money than I thought I would... :rofl: Seriously, you have all provided a ton of information. :T I can't wait to get into the new setup.
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

My experience is that you can use different amps for the center, if is has the same sonic charataristics as the amp for the fronts.
    Ex. - dont use bright and dark sounding amps together.
    But, having saĆ­d that, I also have learned that even small differences like different speaker cables on the same kind of amp's, can clearly be audible..

Comment

• jazznsoccer
      • Apr 2004

Well - I pulled the trigger and placed the order for the CineNova.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"