X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

To cross or not to cross...

I have 4 powered subs with one blended into each of the FL, FR, SL and SR speakers to essentially make 4 full range speakers. Because of this, I HAVE to run my Studio 60s and Studio ADPs full range out of the pro so the bass isn't cut to the subs. I am using a 1068 Pro and a 1075 to power all channels on a 5.1 system. There isn't much room on the back of the 1068 for splitters so I run my analog cable from the Pro to one of these plugged into the amp input. The analog from Pro is plugged into the middle female plug and my sub cable is plugged into the end female plug. I don't have any complains about the way it sounds, but I am wondering if I could get even cleaner sound if I were to put a xover on the Paradigms somehow. I emailed Paradigm and they said that as long as my amp has the power, the speakers can run full range without a problem and crossing them over would just take some of the stress off the amp. I'm pretty sure the 1075 is plenty of power for my speakers... but, what I was thinking of doing is putting in an inline RCA high pass xover on the amp input and plug the Y adaptor into it. That would still allow the full range RCA to the sub so I can use the sub's built in dialed xover for blending. I was thinking of using 50 high pass for the fronts and 70 high pass for the rears. Now from you experts out there... is this really going to do much for me or is it just a waste of money. It's about $50 total for the pair of 50s and 70s. I was also told by my dealer that the Studio 60s generally only run flat down to around 50-55 hz anyway so is a xover at that point really going to do much? I know the rolloff would be much faster with the xover in place because the Studio 60s do extend down to the lower 30s. Or, I could put 70 high pass on the fronts and 100 high pass on the rears instead but I think that might be too high. I guess I could get them, try it, and return them if I don't care for it, but I thought I'd get some advise before I go through the hurdles. Any ideas/suggestions/thoughs would be much appreciated.

AJ
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The F-MOD devices are really intended for car audio. And the actual crossover frequency will vary depending on the input impendance of the power amps. Interesting that they don't provide that info..... :wink:

If you want a good quality, moderately priced active crossover look at the Paradigm X-30. They aren't amplifier dependent.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ajpoe
      • Jul 2004

Thomas, thanks for the input. I can't find a back panel diagram of the x-30 but I'm guessing I would need 2 of them, one for the fronts and one for the rears. I really like how my system sounds but I thought I might be able to raise it another notch with a simple $50 addition. I don't know that I am able to spend $300 plus at this time. Do you think what I am trying to do is going to be that noticeable of a difference over just running them full range?

AJ
      AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"