X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Troy R
    • May 2003

About to Start Modula MT Project - Have Questions

I'm going to take my first shot at a DIY speaker. I've built a few subs, but I've always wanted to try speakers. I want something low cost and I've read a lot about the Modula MT so I figured that would be a good start. I have the mids, Seas 27TDFC tweets, but I still need to buy xover parts. I'm a bit "nervous" about putting together my first xover, but we'll cross that bridge when I come to it. First, I have a few questions before I get started on the enclosures.

Can I make the Modula MT a small floorstanding speaker? Or does the height of the baffle matter? I know the width is important...

Is the internal volume .82 cubic feet the correct internal volume before adding the port and drivers? Or is it .75 cu ft?

I've been tossing around the idea of making a curved sided cabinet and was wondering what would be suitable material for the sides? I've seen the "wiggle wood" used but what does that stuff usually cost? Could hardboard (pegboard like material) be used?

I've seen the word masonite thrown around here a lot, are hardboard and masonite the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any help! :T

Troy
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yes you can make it a floorstander. There's little benefit to doing this other than not needing stands.

The stock PE box has a gross internal volume of .75cu ft

Wiggle wood is very expensive. Last time I bought it (many years ago) it was $50 a sheet.

Masonite is a type of hardboard.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Troy R
      • May 2003

Thanks for the reply Thomas!

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Yes you can make it a floorstander. There's little benefit to doing this other than not needing stands.
      I'm only doing it so I don't have to mess with stands.

Originally posted by ThomasW
      The stock PE box has a gross internal volume of .75cu ft

Wiggle wood is very expensive. Last time I bought it (many years ago) it was $50 a sheet.

Masonite is a type of hardboard.
      Thanks for the info!

So would multiple layers of the hardboard be a sufficient side panel? I'm hoping the 1/4" stuff will make the bend, if not then 1/8" will do.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

So would multiple layers of the hardboard be a sufficient side panel? I'm hoping the 1/4" stuff will make the bend, if not then 1/8" will do.
        Sure, that will work. I saw a pic, but can't remember where now, where someone alternated layers of solid masonite and pegboard for curved sides. I thought it was a slick idea as the excess glue squishes into the holes in the pegboard.

Comment

• Troy R
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Dennis H
          Sure, that will work. I saw a pic, but can't remember where now, where someone alternated layers of solid masonite and pegboard for curved sides. I thought it was a slick idea as the excess glue squishes into the holes in the pegboard.
          That is a pretty good idea. I like it! :T I think I'm going to HD or Lowes tonight to brainstorm.

Should I just use wood glue for layering the side panels? I have some Tite Bond II. Or should I use something else.

Comment

• JoshK
            • Mar 2005

yeah, that will work fine. I like using my glue roller (glue bottle with roller pad) for spreading glue about.

Comment

• Troy R
              • May 2003

Thanks for the help, guys!

I really have love/hate feelings with this site. It's so helpful but it makes me want to build, build, build! 8O

Comment

• berlin07
                • Jan 2006

Can I make the Modula MT a small floorstanding speaker? Or does the height of the baffle matter? I know the width is important...
                I just finished the Modula MT as a floorstander (internally closed off at .82 cu ft) and I can assure you they sound great. :T I'll be posting picks soon.

Comment

• Troy R
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by berlin07
                  I just finished the Modula MT as a floorstander (internally closed off at .82 cu ft) and I can assure you they sound great. :T I'll be posting picks soon.
                  Please do post pics. I'd really like to see pics of them as a floorstander. I can't wait to start building. I'm curious how they will sound compared to my Dynaudio's.

Comment

• berlin07
                    • Jan 2006

I'll start a thread and post better/more pics when I have some more time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	847799

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	847800
                    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 20:31 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cgr
                      • Feb 2006

Just curious on your impressions of the MT vs MTM. Which crossover is in the MTM?

Comment

• berlin07
                        • Jan 2006

Which crossover is in the MTM?
                        It's the Natalie P.

Just curious on your impressions of the MT vs MTM.
                        I just finished them yesterday so listening time and break in are limited. That being said they are both great but Natalie gets my vote. Slightly more detailed with an open sound stage not to mention it can play
                        louder. :twisted:

Comment

• Troy R
                          • May 2003

I'm digging this thread up from the grave. I started to build the Modula MT many years ago but my needs changed so I built the Modula MTM instead. Well now I am getting around to building the Modula MT again...

I have a question on the Seas version Xover. Are there rules for steel laminate inductor placement? I took a picture of what I plan to do. Will this layout work or do I need to turn the inductors at all? Thanks!

The values are:
                          Steel Laminate 2.5mH inductor, 15 awg
                          Sidewinder 0.22 mH Air Core Inductor 16 AWG

Name:	DSC_1865.webp
Views:	22
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	944752
                          Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 20:31 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

That should be OK- the core tends to concentrate the flux and there's less radiation/coupling at a distance than for an air core inductor. What kind of power level is that steel core inductor rated at? I've found I get the best results if high grade core inductors are used at less than half their rated power- soft saturation and increase in distortion usually kicks in above that. You probably will have no issue with this size system.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Troy R
                              • May 2003

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure of the power level of the inductor. this is all the info I have on it

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Yeah, that's hard to know, when they don't publish any spec, unless you can measure for yourself- which I've done from time to time. For a smaller system like the Modula MT, should be OK. Nice size and DCR, of course. The originals used air core inductors, but those are pricier.
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                Obi-Wan
                                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Not2Evil
                                  • Dec 2008

It looks like there is exposed copper on the top part of the sidewinder inductor. Is that just from the camera, or are there some defects?

Comment

• 1Michael
                                    • Sep 2006

It's the lighting...
                                    Michael
                                    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"