X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dnn8350
    • Jun 2004

Musical thoughts

I was musing on another thread (RA-1062 with RB-1080) that the way to tell a 'music lover' from an 'audiophile' is whether their CD collection is more valuable than their system, or vice versa. Well, I'm sure it's possible to be both, but my priority now is to work on my disk collection (mainly CDs, but a few SACDs, DVD-As - including two amazing 196k/24 releases - and about to sample two Hi-Res 96k DVD-Vs). My own musical knowledge is primarily centred on the classical repertoire, but in the past some kind folks have put me on to other stuff (Ricky Lee Jones, McGarrigle Sisters, Miles Davis, etc.). I guess my tastes are quite eclectic, and if it's 'good' I'll give it a listen.

What I'm hoping is that some of you kind people will recommend some new and interesting material for my consideration - musically or sonically noteworthy, preferably both - to give my new system, and my musical taste, a good work-out. I'll start off with a few of my own:

1) 'Alkan - Piano Works' on Hyperion (especially Grande Sonate 'Les Quatre Ages') Marc-Andre Hamelin: this is an extraordinary tour de force by an outstanding Canadian pianist of the works of a one-time neighbour of Chopin, Charles-Valentin Alkan, whom Liszt apparently considered the greatest pianist of all. Once past the amazing virtuosic demands, the music gains stature with every listening. Demonstration quality piano recording.

2) Rachmaninov plays Rachmaninov - 'A Window on Time' on Telarc: this is one of two extraordinary transcriptions from 'reproducing piano' rolls (a sort of high-tech pianola) re-mastered using computer technology and an electronically actuated instrument (a Bosendorfer concert grand). The result is a spooky recreation of the master playing his own works - original 'digital' (really, think about it) recordings from the 1920s. Must be heard - and another fine piano recording.

3) Respighi 'Pines of Rome' etc. on Naxos: a budget, but stunning, recording of three of Respighi's finest orchestral showpieces. This disk definitely sorts the hifi sheep from the goats - the orchestral climaxes must be heard (and felt) to be believed, the dynamic range is stunning, and the delicacy of the quieter passages, especially in 'Pines' and 'Fountains' is quite captivating. Make sure the neighbours are out before turning the wick up (carefully!)

There's plenty more to follow if any of you folks are interested - and start those recommendations of your own coming!
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

In the "In Tune" section of HTGuide, there is a thread titled "Under the radar recordings..." This seems perfect for that particular thread. I have been thinking of adding some of my favorite classical recordings there. It would be great if you did so and we shared ideas.

In the next week or so, I'll be sure to put a few of my recent favorites in there.
    Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Well, you got me off my lazy butt and I did post some reviews in the other thread with more to come.
      Keith

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Sorry, moved your thread to the appropriate area....

You may also want to check out this thread

Jason
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"