• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Any new DVD's out ? (music)

Hey guys!

Any know of some good music DVD's I ask now before buying I have burn't too many times :cry:

Thanks!

Bam!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

1) What do you mean by "good"? Good production values (video image and sound) or good performances?

2) What kind of music do you like? If I recommended an outstanding performance of Verdi's Requiem but you were into Beyonce, (or vice versa), you might not like the disc even though it is excellent in its category.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

uuuuh yeah ops:

Dude I am into just about everything so ALL types of DVD's are welcome here my collection consists of variety so just go ahead.

For me good value...I have a hard time with that...Price of a DVD is just not important if it is good and I will listen to it then GREAT. If I spend 10 bucks on it and use it as a frisbee than NO GOOD

Hope that answers you and bring on the DVD titles !!!!

Bam!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Guide Bam!

Three disc that I really enjoy are:

Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

Fourplay- Fourplay

And between the three, there is a nice mix of styles. 8)

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Thanks John...I have to say thanks and I will check Steely Dan and Fourplay... My ball and chain wanted the cd...so I guess it is official that I can`t go wrong with this one...

merci la les boys eh!

Bam!

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

Opeth - Lamentations

Best metal band ever ...

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Probably my all-time favorite DVD is U2's Rattle and Hum. It's about 20 of their songs, all performed live in various concert settings, and are some of the most memorable U2 concert events. Denver's McNichols Arena, highway overpasses, Sun Devil Stadium, etc.

"Alright Edge, play the blues!"

I LOVE the DVD, and the point about 2/3 of the way through the movie/music film to the end is the best, starting with the powerful song "Bad" mixed with the Stone's "Ruby Tuesday", then "Where the Streets Have no Name", "With or Without You", the veritiable "Pride", and others.

Highly recommended.

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Also, You might want to check out Tina Turner's "Live In Amsterdam". I'm really not a big Tina fan however, I bought this about 5 years ago when trying to get any DVD (just to have software) was a a chore! :B

But to my surprise, I like the disc. Tina is well...Tina!!! Always giving a lot of energy. And the sound and video are top notch.

Hope you and the other half enjoy the Steely Dan! :LOL:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bam!
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2004

Hi Chris! That U2 is good...for the longest time I've been hesitant to buy it but I'll give it a go...I hate when the songs are great and the sound is like Rita Mcneil in a vacuum.....So great...Thanks...

John! I like Tina (did I say that out loud)just kidding...That one too to be picked up...

Hey guys here are some of my fav's:
                  Peter Frampton(great overall DVD)
                  Fleetwood Mac (definetly up there)
                  Eagles (incredible)
                  ELO (superb)
                  Phil Collins (superb in 5 channel stereo)
                  Dave Bruebeck(can't say enough on that one)

Anyway bring them on!

Take care guys!!

Bam!

Comment

• Dr C
                    • Feb 2003

Hi Bam - I'm a rock fan and my collection is skewed towards this. However - like you - I like to listen to a little bit of everything. Here goes ...

Essential DVDs in my collection :
                    1. Led Zeppelin - Led Zep double DVD - outstanding DVD from the best rock band in the world !
                    2. Don Henley - Inside Job Live - outstanding sound and good pix quality
                    3. Roy orbison - Black and White Nite - good sound and excellent retro feel
                    4. U2 - Rattle and Hum - I echo Chris' sentiments ... go get it now !
                    5. Paul McCartney - back in the US - brought tears to my eyes with all those memories ...

Recommended :
                    6. John Fogerty - Premonition - outstanding sound
                    7. Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - for the Eagles fan
                    8. Bon Jovi - The Crush tour - energetic with good sound - makes you feel you are there
                    9. Nora Jones - Live in New Orleans - good sound and excellent laid back atmosphere
                    10. Bee Gees - One nite only - if only to hear them as a group one last time - sound and direction is quite good

Specialties (only if you're interested in the artiste):
                    11. Deep Purple - Come Hell or High Water - ecellent music + documentary about the group
                    12. Tina turner - Live in Amsterdam - can this grandma rock !
                    13. Bryan Adams - Unplugged - small intimate acoustic feel
                    14. Carol King - live - infectious girl next door type concert

I'll go home and look for some more ...

Comment

• Bam!
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2004

Essential DVDs in my collection :
                      1. Led Zeppelin - Led Zep double DVD - outstanding DVD from the best rock band in the world !
                      2. Don Henley - Inside Job Live - outstanding sound and good pix quality
                      3. Roy orbison - Black and White Nite - good sound and excellent retro feel
                      4. U2 - Rattle and Hum - I echo Chris' sentiments ... go get it now !
                      5. Paul McCartney - back in the US - brought tears to my eyes with all those memories ...

Recommended :
                      6. John Fogerty - Premonition - outstanding sound
                      7. Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - for the Eagles fan
                      8. Bon Jovi - The Crush tour - energetic with good sound - makes you feel you are there
                      9. Nora Jones - Live in New Orleans - good sound and excellent laid back atmosphere
                      10. Bee Gees - One nite only - if only to hear them as a group one last time - sound and direction is quite good

Specialties (only if you're interested in the artiste):
                      11. Deep Purple - Come Hell or High Water - ecellent music + documentary about the group
                      12. Tina turner - Live in Amsterdam - can this grandma rock !
                      13. Bryan Adams - Unplugged - small intimate acoustic feel
                      14. Carol King - live - infectious girl next door type concert

I'll go home and look for some more ...
                      Hi Dr C!

Led Zeppelin ! great how is the sound quality? just outta curiousity?

Don Henley, John Fogerty,The EAgles..Norah Jones (have them all and you are right amazing)

Carol King I love I have not seen that one but I will find it!!!

Hey, have you the Peter Frampton? sweet, really sweet!! ELO also...really good.

Thanks bud!

Bam!

Comment

• Dr C
                        • Feb 2003

Hi Bam - sorry for the late reply. Was travelling out of the country.

You should take into account that live footage of Led Zep was quite rare and recording techniques in those days were nothing compared to what they have now. Jimmy Page remastered the entire sound in this double DVD pack and the contents span from some of their earliest footage to their last concerts. Thus standards vary thruout the disks and you will be able to hear hiss on certain tracks, ill defined bass on others.

You didn't ask me about the picture quality - again technoly then meant that this tended to be grainy and I'm not sure if i imagined it but there were a few songs that i swear had problems syncing the video and the sound. However the whole ambience thing makes up for some of the shortcomings.

The fact that this will probably be their definitive live/documentary DVD makes it an essential piece in any rockers collection. Get it cos you are going to get it sooner or later .. and sooner is better

Comment

• Bam!
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2004

Thanks bud....

And you are right sooner is better!

Bam!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"