X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas Music

This is some of my favorite Christmas music. The Trans Siberian Orchestra has created two albums of Christmas music, but they are very unique. The albums are actually Rock Operas, telling stories through music, both instrumental and vocal. Some of the songs are original compositions, while others are renditions of classic Christmas tunes, modified from the mild to the radical.

The writers and composers of this music are geniuses--the music is absolutely incredible. It's not just entertaining, this is well written stuff that is expertly done. There's jazz, soft rock, hard rock instrumentals with electric guitar, and both adult and children choirs. Everyone is guaranteed to like this music, from children to your punk rock teenager to young and "not-so-young" adults alike.

I had the pleasure of also attending their annual Christmas concert tour last year, and loved it. Unfortunately, I was travelling this year. They put on a great show, performing even more than what's just on their albums. (incidentally, TSO has also put out "Beethoven's Last Night", which is based on classical music, not Christmas music)

Their website:
    The Official Trans-Siberian Orchestra Fan Club

Do yourself a favor and check out this group and their music, especially during the holidays. You'll thank me, I promise.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Robbie
    • Aug 2000

Chris,

I saw these guys on TV a couple of years ago. They were great but the show format was a little weak IMO. They had several "guest" singers which watered down their act. Even the wife liked the show and she's not really into rock.

I haven't had a chance to check out their CD but would certainly like to give it a whirl.

Thanks for reminding me.

Robbie

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

Picked up Christmas Attic. I now have a new favorite Christmas CD. Well OK, maybe tied with John Denver and the Muppets. But an awsome record.

Robbie

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

BTW, I just got TSO's DVD last night of "Christmas Eve"... sadly, it's not something I can recommend, if you're an enthusiast and already own the album. Most of the video was just a man and child watching a private stage performance of TSO performing the songs. Nothing really ground-breaking. One song, "Sarajevo", had some extra images and video story, but still not too interesting. By and large, there was little new material on the DVD, and several songs from the album were left out of the video, leaving it short. I didn't find the audio quality to be a step up at all from the CD's, even on the Dolby Digital track. Two notable exceptions were Jewel and Michael Crawford as guest singers. Michael Crawford gives a bone-chilling rendition of "O Holy Night". By far the best part of the DVD, and one I thoroughly enjoyed. Man, that guys has fantastic pitch control. What a voice.

Having seen TSO live in concert, I know firsthand that they can be a LOT better than this video showed. I do hope that they make another video, perhaps of the "Christmas Attic" story. There's so much potential there for story. Whatever happens with the video, though, it still doesn't take away from the sheer geniousness of the music. Brilliant arrangement with the music, interweaving new music instruments and styles with classical songs.

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Robbie
          • Aug 2000

BTW, I just got TSO's DVD last night of "Christmas Eve"... sadly, it's not something I can recommend
          That is disappointing.

Thanks. BTW Jewel and Michael Crawford were on the TV special if I remember correctly. They had a real audiance tho. Maybe it's the same show.

Robbie

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The only CD of theirs I have is Christmas Eve And Other Stories, but Christmas Eve In Sarajevo (I think that's right) from that disc has been one of my favorite Christmas songs since I heard it on the radio in 1996 or so. Too bad the DVD is not up to par.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

There's a brand new Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD out this year (Christmas, 2004) called "The Lost Christmas Eve". It's very similar in style to their other works, a rock opera with lots of Christmas songs and themes. I like it a lot, but I wonder if these guys can really put out any more albums without it just becoming too repetitive. There are some songs on the album in other styles, such as jazz and blues, which sound good. FWIW, the TSO website says that this album is the final one in their "Christmas Rock Trilogy". http://www.trans-siberian.com/intro.html

I'm going to see these guys in concert in Seattle, the day after Christmas, I think. I saw them 2 years ago, and they were great. This one should be good too!
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Bump for Christmas 2005
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Foxman
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                  Bump for Christmas 2005
                  Wow, I am surprised this hasnt gotten more play. This is my review after going to a show on November 19th.

I can not overstate how fantastic last nights show was. I have seen my share of concerts, mostly rock and I can say that these guys put on as good a show if not better than just about anyone. The production of people it takes to pull off one of these showes is pretty amazing, I counted 23 people on stage singing or playing music at one time. They played most of their more popular stuff, some stuff from a new cd to be released, some not as popular stuff from their Beathovens Last Night cd and even did a cover of Led Zepplins Rockin Roll. All I could think about was whether or not all these older people knew they were coming to a real live rock concert? The light show was awsome and included snow that sparkled when the laser's hit the invidual flakes. I was thouroughly impressed and stunned. The group played a narrated set that was more or less what you get on their DVD and I was prepared to call it a night. One of the guitarist then came out with a Carolina Panthers Jersey on and introduced the band and thats when he informed us that they were going to be playing for a lot longer and it would include music that they had never done in previous tours, (I assume from their upcoming cd). Thier upcoming cd is not a Christmas cd and it is called Castle... something, I forget now. I suspect it will be out after Christmas so as to not confuse the buyer.

If you get a chance to witness this group do yourself a favor and get tickets. Our stadium was not full so tickets were still availabel, which is a shame considering how good these guys are.

Everyone pretty much stayed in their seats, but most everyone was rocking their heads back and forth with the beat....now picture a group of people ranging from 7 years old to 65+ all nodding their heads back and forth to music ranging from Led Zepplin to Beethoven...

Yeah it was pretty cool.
                  I really like this group, I have all of their releases and am excited that they have a new project in the works, although I read that it has actually been in the works for a while now, so maybe we will finaly get this overdue project soon.
                  Last edited by Chris D; 31 December 2012, 23:51 Monday.
                  IMO

My Movies
                  Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

I bought "Christams Eve and Other Stories" yesterday. I didn't get a chance to listen to the whole thing (decided to go with the LOTR series on TNT-HD).

The little it I have heard is VERY impressive.
                    Danish

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Yeah, I've enjoyed the two concerts of theirs that I've been to, in 2002 and 2003. Actually, they played some of their "new" stuff in both of those concerts, which still hasn't been released yet--the most notable one I remember being a version of "Carmina Burana".

Did you know that their lead guitarist used to play for Megadeath? If you know TSO's work, and the high caliber of their music, symphonic in many ways, that's a surprise. But if you know the guitarist, and then hear TSO music for the first time, you're surprised too.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Don't forget you can get the Trilogy Box set for $39.99 shipped which is all three CDs and the DVD... so basically $10 a pop.
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

Well, you got me all psyched up. I have some of their music. I'm a gonna put some on right now to get into the Yule time spirit.
                          Keith

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Merry Christmas, all!

Reviving an old thread. These TSO discs are still my #1 choice for holiday music every year. Spinning them right now.

I've made it to two of their concerts. Not this year, though--these guys don't travel to Alaska.

It's been 6 years now, since I hear them first previewing their Carmina Burana material, and the disc still isn't out yet.

BTW, I discovered this group, which is the same guys doing similar music before they became TSO. Sounds like some really creative musical composition.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Claw
                              • Apr 2005

Whenever TSO comes up I think of this:
                              Guy with WAY too much free time on his hands. Rigged up his house with holiday lights and syncronized them with a Trans Siberian Orchestra song.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

For other TSO fans, their new album is FINALLY.... FINALLY coming out. Sheesh.. they've been saying it's coming out for about 4 years now.

Comes out Oct 27th.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

I bought the new album on a "mostly" blind purchase, since I've heard some of the new album songs performed in previous concerts over the years as previews. It's pretty good. Not fantastic like the original Christmas albums, but pretty good. Some of the songs are great, like those from Carmina Burana, and others are just so-so. It's a double album, so lots and lots of music. It'll take me a while to give it multiple listens and really develop a firm opinion about it.

Buying it from Amazon, you also get a free MP3 download "bonus". I got in on a sale, and got the double CD for only $7.99. You can still buy it for $9.99, which is still a good deal, with the full album MP3 download for $7.99.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"