This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddiespaghetti
    • Sep 2006

Well, I am joining the party late (as usual). Player is on order (Denon 2910), and the titles are on their way, too -
    Dire Straits Brothers in Arms DVD-A,
    Elton John Madman Across the Water SACD,
    Dvorak Symphony No. 6 SACD (Sir Colin Davis),
    Diana Krall The Girl in the Other Room DualDisc (but supposedly DVD-A)

This thread has been dormant for a while, and I hope it is because everyone is busy listening.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by eddiespaghetti
      Well, I am joining the party late (as usual). Player is on order (Denon 2910), and the titles are on their way, too -
      Dire Straits Brothers in Arms DVD-A,
      Elton John Madman Across the Water SACD,
      Dvorak Symphony No. 6 SACD (Sir Colin Davis),
      Diana Krall The Girl in the Other Room DualDisc (but supposedly DVD-A)

This thread has been dormant for a while, and I hope it is because everyone is busy listening.
      Don't feel bad, I still do not own any. Just three DTS cd's. Oneday I'll get with the times.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• pbarach
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
        Mstislav Rostropovich is doing a complete cycle of Shostakovich symphonies with the London Symphony Orchestra. Proving that SACD is not completely dead, the "LSO Live" label is releasing each disc in both a CD and a Hybrid SACD edition. So far, I've had the pleasure of listening to the 8th, the 11th and the 5th. Shostakovich's 5th is probabaly his most widely heard work, and the LSO and Rostropovich give it an electrifying performance -- if you've heard it before, it will almost be like listening to new music; if this is your first exposure, it is a great place to start!
        I have always prized Rostropovich's earlier recording of this piece with the National Symphony, although the sound quality suffers from early digititis. I did not find the LSO performance all that exciting, and I thought that the sound quality was dry and lacked depth--reflecting the sound quality of the hall, from what I've heard.

Now, the best-sounding Shostakovich SACD I've run across (and an excellent performance, too), is #13 with Wigglesworth on BIS. This is an outstanding demonstration of multichannel SACD. The surround channels add to a sense of involvement in the music without losing precision of imaging (as in the Tilson Thomas Mahler 1, where at times instruments come from the side, at other times not).

Comment

• riceaterslc
          • Aug 2006

where is the best place to buy SACD/DVD-A's? amazon seems to have a ton, but are their prices competitive with other places? thanks!
          chris

Comment

• pbarach
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by riceaterslc
            where is the best place to buy SACD/DVD-A's? amazon seems to have a ton, but are their prices competitive with other places? thanks!
            cduniverse.com stocks a lot, has competitive prices and frequent sales, and good customer service. For classical SACD's, arkivmusic.com is excellent, too.

Comment

• riceaterslc
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by pbarach
              cduniverse.com stocks a lot, has competitive prices and frequent sales, and good customer service. For classical SACD's, arkivmusic.com is excellent, too.

thanks~!
              chris

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Hiromi- Young Japanese (woman) jazz pianist (Corea-like)

Just got these two SACD's in- not a lot of time to listen to them, BUT I think they have legs... particularly for an old 70's jazz fusion guy like me.

Time Control

Sprial

Hybrid SACD's, muli-channel, play on SACD and CD players.

Very Recommended.

This is the YouTube link ThomasW sent me which convinced me to order these sight unheard.

Hiromi on YouTube

~Jon
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Jon,

All I can say is Wow! After viewing the You Tube link, I too am willing to give her a shot. I really haven't/don't listen to fusion jazz but, the energy as well as skill displayed on what I just watched, has made me reconsider.

I do not own a hi-res player, but I'm going to pick up Hiromi and give her a test run at home. Besides, you mentioned that these are hybrid so, I may just get a player down the road as well. :T

Thanks for the heads up.
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by John Holmes
                    Jon,

All I can say is Wow! After viewing the You Tube link, I too am willing to give her a shot. I really haven't/don't listen to fusion jazz but, the energy as well as skill displayed on what I just watched, has made me reconsider.

I do not own a hi-res player, but I'm going to pick up Hiromi and give her a test run at home. Besides, you mentioned that these are hybrid so, I may just get a player down the road as well. :T

Thanks for the heads up.

You're very welcome, John- it's not easy to find cool new stuff, not the way music is promoted by the majors these days.

Here's another suggestion, not in high res format, but if you like Michael Hedges, try Kaki King, "Everybody Loves You" (std CD is inexpensive on Amazon). I'm considering picking up the Japanese import just to be annoying to people. I haven't heard any of her other disks, but I'm going to try some based on this one.

~Jon
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

One of the guys at PS3SACD posted a link to this interesting thread on the trials of SACD:

[Moderator note: merged conversation about early/promo SACDs from another thread] I didn't manage to snag a copy of Innocent Man in the original slip,...

An inside look at what happened.

Comment

• 2gumby2
                        • Jun 2010

The DVD-A Bluegrass Sessions by Bela Fleck is great.

Comment

• Brandon B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2001

Some recent (last year or so) additions for me:

King Crimson on DVD-A: Red, Lizard, The Court of the Crimson King (Islands is coming soon)

Beach Boys: Pet Sounds

Zappa: QuAUDIOPHILIAc

SACD: Bought about 14 of the RCA living Stereo classics on SACD. All are quite nice. Favorite is probably the Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue.

Also: Ultimate Mancini. May be my favorite SACD for listening to in surround.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by pbarach
                            I have always prized Rostropovich's earlier recording of this piece with the National Symphony, although the sound quality suffers from early digititis. I did not find the LSO performance all that exciting, and I thought that the sound quality was dry and lacked depth--reflecting the sound quality of the hall, from what I've heard.

Now, the best-sounding Shostakovich SACD I've run across (and an excellent performance, too), is #13 with Wigglesworth on BIS. This is an outstanding demonstration of multichannel SACD. The surround channels add to a sense of involvement in the music without losing precision of imaging (as in the Tilson Thomas Mahler 1, where at times instruments come from the side, at other times not).
                            I like to pick-and-choose by symphony but, for a set, I would go for the Kitaenko on Capriccio. A bit slow but weighty and powerful. Big, crunchy sound, too.
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Thanks, B. I just added the Ultimate Mancini SACD to my Amazon list based on your recommendation.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Wow. Nearly eight years since anyone added to this thread. I don't have time at the moment, but I'll be back with a (partial) list (I have 300+ SACDs/DVD-As and still buy SACDs, though not as frequently as I used to). Blu-ray Audio discs are also part of the high-resolution mix (though, even going back to when this thread started, I mostly buy any of these formats for the MCH mixes).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"