X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Must Have DVD-A's/SACD's

Just thought it might be a good idea to start a list of DVD-A's people have bought that are worth getting.

I currently own the following:

Neil Young: Harvest - If you're a Young fan, definately worth it, though the 5.1 mix can be a little dizzying.

Sex Pistols: No Future UK - Lo-Fi in High-Res...hmmmm

Fleetwood Mac: Rumours - I personally preffered the higher-res 2-channel but both sound damn good.

Metallica: Black Album - No chance to listen to this one yet Hear it's good though

Wagner: Sorry can't remember composer etc. Sounded good but as it's my only classical DVD-A nothing to compare it to. Also, even though I enjoy a fair selection of classical, I am by no means an expert.

Discs I have on my wish list:

-Al Green: Greatest Hits
    -Bucky Pizzarelli: Swing Live
    -Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
    -Doors: L.A. Woman
    -Eric Clapton: Unplugged (Unknown release date)
    -Stone Temple Pilots: Core
    -Frank Sinatra: Sinatra at the Sands
    -Bob Marley: Best Of The Early Years
    -Elvis: 30 #1 Hits
    -Miles Davis: Tutu
    -Santana: Supernatural and Shaman (both released at end of November)

And for cryin' out loud can we quit having rumours of the Beatles on DVD-A and see some actual discs! Maybe for Christmas! :P

Please feel free to add any comments/suggestions.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well I re-listened to Harvest and finally got a chance to listen to the Metallica disc and since no one else is replying I figured I might as well...lol

Harvest - Decided I prefer the 2-channel. It just sounds so amazing the guitar, Young's voice and Harmonica's etc all sound like they're right in the room, I got lot's of tingles The 5.1 mix is just too distracting IMO. Sure it's cool and the sound is a little fuller (duuuh) and yes that's how they were apparently postioned when it was recorded but... damnit it's distracting!

Metallica - This probably the first DVD-A that I couldn't actually pick a clear winner between the 5.1 vs 2-channel tracks. They both sounded awesome! The 5.1 mix sounds great, surrounding you with a full onslaught of heavy metal fury. It's very well mixed meaning the surrounds are used to make a bigger soundstage and ocassional throw in the odd effect for added drama, nothing gimmicky just auditory goodness. The 2-channel was just as good sacrifing some of that room filling surround for clearer sound. It was especially evident on intro's to songs where there was maybe just a couple of imstruments and the rumbling vocals and then the rise hits you like a brick wall. A very nice sounding brick wall

Anyone have any comments on the Steely Dan DVD-A? My girlfriend has it on her Christmas list.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Oh, and don't forget SACD! How about recommendations for good titles on either DVD-A or SACD?

Me personally, I've bought a few DVD-A and SACD titles already, but don't even have a player capable of playing either format yet. :roll: That's when you know you've gone too far. I'm hoping to add a universal player here in the near future.

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Scarp
        • Mar 2003

Queen: A Night At the Opera is a very good dvd-a

SACD: Joe Satriani has two out. The latest one features both stereo and multichannel tracks.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by aud19
          Wagner: Sorry can't remember composer etc. Sounded good ...
          Not to put too fine a point on it, but Wagner IS a composer. Could you check the album cover and let us know what by Wagner is on the DVD-A (like orchestral highlights from some of his operas, or is it one specific opera) and who the performers are (at least the orchestra and conductor)? I like Wagner's music but haven't bought any on DVD-A or SACD yet, and at the prices they charge for the discs, I'd like to be sure I'm getting one that someone else has heard and says is worth buying.

Originally posted by aud19
          Anyone have any comments on the Steely Dan DVD-A?
          Well, it's bound to be good if it's Steely Dan, but so far I haven't had a chance to hear the DVD-A, so I don't know if they've left the mix alone or played "cute" multichannel tricks with it. That's one I'd like to read some comments about after Christmas (assuming your girlfriend let's you listen to it after she unwraps it Christmas day). :>)

So far, I only have one DVD-A and that is Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "Brain Salad Surgery", which was a stunning album on vinyl and CD and now is even more sensational on DVD-A. If you are into their music at all, this is a disc to treasure.

Meanwhile, since you enjoy some classical along with the other great stuff you've listed, I've tallied a few classical SACDs I've enjoyed as well as a couple of non-classical titles that are also well worth getting. (Hope you can play SACDs in addition to DVD-As. If your current player doesn't support SACD, then at least the Hybrid discs would be playable via the CD layer.)

The following is single layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD only (must be played in a SACD player):

Cheap Thrills ā€“ Janis Joplin & Big Brother and the Holding Company (Columbia/Legacy CS66784)
          Janiceā€™s performance has always been, well, thrilling. (It was just the sound that seemed "cheap".) :>) Now the sound is equally terrific for the first time.

The following is two-channel-only Hybrid SACD (can be played in a SACD or CD-compatible player) but still well worth adding to your collection and listening to time and time again:

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5 / Tchaikovsky: Romeo & Juliet -- Lorin Maazel/Cleveland Orchestra (Telarc SACD-60561)
          After being unavailable for too long, this exhilarating rendition of Shostakovichā€™s masterpiece has been remastered and reissued on SACD. The Romeo and Juliet is a fine performance too, but the reason to buy the disc is the symphony.

All of these are Multichannel/Stereo Hybrid SACD (can be played in a SACD or CD-compatible player):

Rossini: Famous Overtures ā€“ Neville Marriner and the Academy of St Martin in the Fields (PentaTone SACD-66106)
          Remastered from quad, sounds like a new recording. The performances are first rate.

Dupre, Franck & Widor -- Michael Murray/The Organ at St. Sulpice, Paris (Telarc SACD-60516)
          With a properly set up system, the ambiance from the surround channels give you the uncanny sensation of being in the cathedral (as close as youā€™re going to get without an airline ticket to France). :>)

Got Swing! -- Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Orchestra (Telarc SACD-60592) featuring special guests The Manhattan Transfer, Janis Seigel and John Pizzarelli, so it is really jazz and not just overblown symphonic fluff. Lots of fun!

Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony -- Robert Spano/Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (Telarc SACD-60588 )
          A really wowie-zowie performance of this massive work with sonics to match.

Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet Suites 1,2,3 ā€“ Paavo Jarvi, Cincinnati Symphony (Telarc SACD-60597)
          This is not only an electrifying performance, arguably the best ever (and Iā€™ve heard a ton of them), but the sound is system demo quality as well (superlative, even for SACD).

Mahler: Symphony No. 6 in A Minor, "Tragic" -- Benjamin Zander/Philharmonia Orchestra (Telarc SACD-60586)
          While I personally prefer Dmitri Mitropoulosā€™. driving performance from the mid-twentieth century (he gave its American premiere in 1947 with the New York Philharmonic and performed it through the 1950s with the Philharmonic and other orchestras),.from among the various fine modern recordings of this dynamic work, we are fortunate to get Zanderā€™s thrilling reading on SACD. (His Mahler 5th is darned good too, and is also available on Telarc SACD-60569.)

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
            Oh, and don't forget SACD! How about recommendations for good titles on either DVD-A or SACD?

Me personally, I've bought a few DVD-A and SACD titles already, but don't even have a player capable of playing either format yet. :roll: That's when you know you've gone too far. I'm hoping to add a universal player here in the near future.
            Sorry Chris, I guess it's only fair to include SACD. (I don't want to be the bully kid that told SACD to go home :wedgie: ) The reason I stated DVD-A is because I own a Denon 1600 which is only capable of DVD-A but that's my own dilemna...lol

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
            Not to put too fine a point on it, but Wagner IS a composer. Could you check the album cover and let us know what by Wagner is on the DVD-A (like orchestral highlights from some of his operas, or is it one specific opera) and who the performers are (at least the orchestra and conductor)? I like Wagner's music but haven't bought any on DVD-A or SACD yet, and at the prices they charge for the discs, I'd like to be sure I'm getting one that someone else has heard and says is worth buying.
            Sorry..lol. :banghead: My stupidity... I meant to write conductor not composer. As I'm at work most of the time when I post (including now :LOL: ) I don't have that info in front of me and I have a terrible memory I'll get the conductor, orchestra and content and post it on here over the holidays for ya. Keep in mind I'm far from an expert on classical. (Gee, could you tell? I don't even know the difference betweeen a composer/conductor! ) So don't put too much weight in my comments. Though I sure appreciate any more classical reccomendations especially on DVD-A from you or any of the other fine folks on here. And I couldn't agree more about the pricing!

Well, it's bound to be good if it's Steely Dan, but so far I haven't had a chance to hear the DVD-A, so I don't know if they've left the mix alone or played "cute" multichannel tricks with it. That's one I'd like to read some comments about after Christmas (assuming your girlfriend let's you listen to it after she unwraps it Christmas day). :>)
            Let's hope she does! I have to admit I got this one a little for me too ops: I'll get back with info and "review" after I've had a chance to listen.

The following is single layer Multichannel/Stereo SACD only (must be played in a SACD player):

Cheap Thrills – Janis Joplin & Big Brother and the Holding Company (Columbia/Legacy CS66784)
            Janice’s performance has always been, well, thrilling. (It was just the sound that seemed "cheap".) :>) Now the sound is equally terrific for the first time.
            Ok, that just sucks that it doesn't have a hybrid CD layer for us poor saps that can't play SACD :M This is one disc I'd definately love to have. Man I wish I'd waited for the Denon 2200 :boohoo:

Jason

Last edited by Chris D; 21 July 2015, 23:22 Tuesday.
            Jason

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

OK Burke! The disc is (a drum roll please):

Wagner: Overtures/Preludes

Overtures - ("Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg", "Tannhauser", "Der fliegende Hollander")

Preludes - (to Act I "Lohengrin", to Act III "Lohengrin", and Liebestod "Tristan und Isolde")

Berliner Philharmoniker
              Conductor: Herbert Von Karajan

It's surround mix is the original 4.0 (quad) mix, the stereo is a 24/48 version of the CD mix. It sounds great, hard to pick a favourite between the multi-channel/surround as they both sound so good in their own respects. Keep in mind it's my only classical DVD-A so far, so nothing to reference it with and again... not an expert. At all. :LOL:

I ended up getting the girlfriend Steely Dan: Two against nature DVD-A. No chance to listen to it yet but I'll get back with info on it as soon as I can.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

The girlfriend and I got a chance to listen to a few tracks off of Steely Dan 2 Against Nature last night with some musicly inclined guests. :righton: We listened to the multi-channel track and all I've got to say is: That is how you mix multi-channel music. Period. It should be used as a "textbook" for other engineers that are learning multi-channel mixing. If you like the sort of jazzy, funky, mellow rock'ish music of Steely Dan I totally reccomend the disc. I don't know if I want to even bother listening to the stereo tracks... 8)

Jason

Jason

Comment

• elwoodbud
                  • Dec 2003

Hi all. I've been enjoying Hi-res music for half a year now and a couple of titles have clearly stood out that haven't been mentioned here including"

DVD-A
                  The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"
                  This recent reissue in 5.1 is an amazing sonic experience. It is definitely the most aggressive music surround mix I've heard. "The Absolute Sound" rated it a "Sonic rating" of 10 out of 10. It features rotating vocal tracks, drums that circle the room and more. What's more, the liner notes give a brief explanation of what was done with each of the tracks for the surround mix. If you enjoy listening to some of today's modern rock and roll, like Radiohead, give this a spin. It is truly a unique experience. The DVD-A comes half a dozen bonus 5.1.tracks, a DVD video track with some spaced out video graphics to go with a compressed 5.1 recording, and a second disc with the original CD version.

SACD
                  For SACD titles, my favorite is Beck's "Sea Change." There's good news for DVD-A only folks. Apparently this title will make its debut in that format very soon. I assume it will have similar sonics. The mostly acoustic recording is wonderfully recorded, both for 5.1 and 2-channel.

Comment

• mazuly
                    • Feb 2003

Hi,

I canā€™t believe nobody has mentioned Bjork Vespertine album in DVD-A. Am I the only one that likes this album? Well, this album is magnificent in 5.1. I do have other DVD-A, but this is the only album that sounds like it was recorded in 5.1 and not changed from 2.0 to 5.1. Her music is not for everybody, but this is one of the best 5.1 mixes that I have heard to date, and I do have Eagles Hotel California

I also purchased Beethoven Symphony No. 7, 8 (one disk) and 9 (Barenboim with Berliner Staatskepelle) and Johann Strauss in Berlin (Nikolaus Harnoncourt with Berliner Philharmoniker) DVD-A. These are all Teldec disks. I am not a classical buff so I donā€™t know if these are good arrangements and if the music is played the way it should be, but man oh man, the sound stage. You feel you have the orchestra in your living room. The recording is done in a way that front channels play the music and rears provide the ambiance information. Together you get a sense that you are sitting in front of the orchestra while they are playing.

Aud19, I do have Frank Sinatra: Sinatra at the Sands. This is a very old recording and it shows. The sounds are crisp and soundstage is very good, but no high-rez transformation can make it sound like a new recording. The surround mix is very good as well, but every time I listen to it I feel I am listening to an old recording. The music is wonderful though. If you donā€™t have a problem with old sounding recordings, then this disk is wonderful and Frankā€™s voice is just superb. Next on my list is the Rat Pack DVD-A

I am off to get some more DVD-As today before this boxing week sale is over.

Thanks,
                    Maziar

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

Jason -

Thanks for the detailed info on the Wagner disc and for your impressions of the Steely Dan disc. Sounds like you've got a couple of really good ones there!

Burke

Comment

• nicodim55
                        • Nov 2003

:?: Where can you buy these titles? Also, you've mentioned that some are only 2 channel SACD and some multi, does it say that on the jewel case? I would like to listen to SACD in multi channel so I can compare it with DVDA. I don't have any SACD in multi channel so I only had the experience in 2 channel.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

You can get them many places. You should be able to order lot's online, or check some of your usual retailers where you pick up your other software (CD's, DVD's etc). I even found the Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD at Costco!...lol (Unfortunately I have no SACD player to play it on so I have to make do with the CD layer for now :cry: ) From what I've read, The Pink Floyd disc is THE multi-channel SACD to listen to. So that's probably a good one to hunt down. Also maybe some other folks on here, close to your area can reccomend some good stores for ya..?

Yes the case should state what tracks (multi/stereo) and their quality etc.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• nicodim55
                            • Nov 2003

8) Thanks Jason I went to Best Buy and I picked up Mozart and it is in multi channel. It sounds great in STEREO AND MULTI.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

You're quite welcome When you get a chance, let us know some of the disc info, ie: conductor, pieces etc. and a review :P

Since you seem to like classical, you may want to check out some of the classical SACD recommendations Burke made earlier in the thread too

Jason

Jason

Comment

• nicodim55
                                • Nov 2003

The title is MOZART Youth Symphonies vol. 1 Academy of St. Martin in the Fields conducted by SIR NEVILLE MARRINER. It is a Hybrid and when in multi it's only 4 channel as it was originally recorded.

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Well just purchased Carl Orff's Carmina Burnana on DVD-A, released by Deutsche Gramaphone and distributed by Universal. The stereo track sounds quite good but the biggest dissapointment is that no matter what I try, I can't seem to acess the multi-channel track that's supposed to be there! :cry: This music possitively screams for a quality multi-channel presentation!!!

I have sent off an email to D.G. and Universal who have responded with a few questions of there own but have not resolved the problem as yet. I'll try to update with info when I find out what the problem is.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Haven't got a solution yet but I recieved an e-mail yesterday from Universal saying they're working on finding a Denon 1600 player (same as mine) to re-create the problem on there end! Pretty cool Hopefully they figure out the problem...(keeping my fingers crossed)

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2004

hi guys....

I lost you aud19 on that last post...

Anyhoo:Ultimate DVDA for me Metallica and Vivaldi 4 seasons...yeah from one extreme to the other.... :yesnod:

take care la!

Bam!
                                      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

lol...try reading the post right above it...lol

I love my Metallica Black Album too. I shall have to look up that Vivaldi disc I think I've heard good things about it elsewhere too. Could you elaborate a little on the disc...? A little mini-review perhaps

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2004

Hi there aud19!

Go get it...just stop everything and go get it...there is my review!

Maybe on a more serious note, just like Metallica I don't know which format I like more 5.1 or 2 channel. For critical listening...2 channel ofcourse. The soundstage is well defined, sound is beautiful, not too bright..strong recording and some really well sort of nice pictures playing on your t.v. screen if you like that sort a thing.

Anyway 10/10 for me bud!

Take care!

Bam!

Comment

• ronm307
                                            • Jul 2003

Guitar Noir (AIX) DVD-A - Laurence Juber, an acoustic jazz/blues disc. Very good performance, but the recording/audio quality is outstanding.

Ronm

"A bug! Naaa, that's a feature."
                                            "A bug! Naaa, that's a feature."

Comment

• David Meek
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Vivaldi, Metallica and Guitar Noir all in the same thread. I LOVE IT! :T

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                              Our "Theater"
                                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Al K
                                                • Feb 2004

aud 19,

Also Steely Dans latest DVD-A Everything must go! Try it, you'll like it.
                                                Good sound quality, a bit more mellow than Two against nature. I thought it was a nice addition!

Al

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                  Vivaldi, Metallica and Guitar Noir all in the same thread. I LOVE IT! :T

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
                                                  Well obviously we all have a broad range of musical tastes... and good taste too! (Except for my Sex Pistols DVD-A ops: ) ..lol. Now if we could just get a few more people contributing and reviewing this could be "the" list for people new to multi-channel audio looking for discs to spin who are un-sure on what's good or bad. There's nothing worse than diving in to a new medium and having your first listen be something that was poorly recorded and a bad example of the format. (Are you listening, Sex Pistols?)

I should be getting Sinatra Live at the Sands and Bucky Pizarelli shortly so stay tuned for my thoughts on those two

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2004

Hey Jason!

Dude I am a very bing Sinatra fan...

Please tell me E mail anything...I bought the DVD of Sinatra and it (for me)was not too good....

So I would love to know!...hey did you get Vivaldi?

Thanks take care!

You`re right quite a list.....I wonder if Patty Barber is on DVD audio?

Bam!

Comment

• aud19
                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2003

An update on my Carmina Burana DVD-A:

I've found out that the subwoofer has to be on in the player in order for the multi-channel track to be accessed I've informed Universal of the situation and I'm awaiting any thoughts/solutions they might have.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2000

OK, I'm choked, I posted some long response only to have a invalid link specified. It then dropped everything as lost :M
                                                        Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2000

Paraphrased: ops:

I'm new to SACD/DVD-A...

Should a person listen to this format in stereo or multichannel sound? I have only use Stereo on the one SACD tiltle I bought as I generally like stereo over DTS or DD surround on my music DVD's. it sounds less artifical has a more real feel, if that make sense.

I picked up Diana Krall "When I look in Your Eyes" SACD.

I picked this one because I have the Redbook version and wanted a direct comparision to what I have already considered a reference CD. I was not dissapointed. At first I though they had totally remixed and re-recorded this CD. I have become pretty intimate with the redbook version and as such I was hearing sounds that made this SACD version sound different. After listening more I realized it was the same re-cording but more prominance was placed in things such as wind intruments, that sounded more muted in the background on the regular CD. In the SACD version, track 1 at about 1:20 into the song, I noticed how much more detail of stage there seemed to be with the violins and wind orchestra. Diana's voice had more depth to me on the SACD. As I said the redbook CD is no sloutch however the SACD version just seemed to have more presence, bass, depth of stage... You name it.

My wife did a blind test and I picked the SACD version 100% of the time :T

I was going to get Steely Dan "Gacho" SACD for I have always like the sound of that album. I allso seen Donald Fagen's "Night Fly" which was always a reference LP for me.

A&B sound Saskatoon, had a limited selection od SASC/DVD-A. If they would have had any Dire Straits, I would have certainly bough one of those.

Emerson Lake and Palmer BSS? Fuggettaboutit! That would be awesome on SACD/DVD-A I grew up on that on. First it was 8 track (no, not the recording studio type ), then cassette, then Vinyl. I don't own the CD, although i do have a best of ELP on regular CD.

Does anybody have a link that lists all the SACD/DVD-A titles currently available, or a place where they can be bought on line?
                                                          Bing

Comment

• dave
                                                            • Aug 2003

the stereo layer on sacd titles isn't gimmicky as you might find on the multi-ch. layer on some sacd hybrids out there I also have found this to be true
                                                            on some of the dvd audio offerings that are available out there.
                                                            Here are a few more to add to the list,,,
                                                            SACD
                                                            #1 CCR. all of the albums that the original band released are now available. I own all but 2 and those are mardi-gras & pendulum. the sound quality of these is excellent
                                                            #2 Blood Sweat & Tears. they have released 2, Thier self titled album and more recently Mobile fidelity has released a hybrid of thier 3rd disc BS&T 3
                                                            the sound quality on this one is very very good it's a original master recording
                                                            as well
                                                            #3 The Police, Every Breath You Take, best of hybrid sacd. This one plays
                                                            Multi-Ch as well as Stereo. This one is the absolute best that i've ever heard
                                                            this band sound, if your a police fan and have sacd capabilities in your system
                                                            check this one out!!!
                                                            #4 Jeff Beck-Blow by Blow. go for the stereo version of this one, great clean-up job, George Martins string arrangments really shine
                                                            #5 The Who, Tommy. Unbeleavable is the only word that comes to mind
                                                            when listening to the difference that sacd has made here
                                                            #6 Peter Frampton, Frampton Comes Alive. On this one Multi-ch. is done right
                                                            very good sound quality
                                                            #7 Pink Floyd, DSOTM. the Multi-Ch is nice and well placed in the speakers
                                                            I,ve heard through the grapevine that the Moody Blues are releasing
                                                            some material on sacd as well, they already have Days of Future Past
                                                            and Seventh Sojourn out in the DTS format.

DVD audio
                                                            #1 Donald Fagan, The Nightfly if your a Steely Dan fan and havent heard this yet your missing out
                                                            #2 America Homecoming, Thier 2nd album and its a good one
                                                            #3 The Beach Boy's Pet Sounds, This disc has it all,,, Mono, Stereo, DTS,
                                                            etc. it is good to hear this band sound so good on this one.
                                                            #4 The Doobie Brothers, The Captain and Me. Im a big fan of this band and
                                                            this is one of those that had to be in the collection
                                                            #5 Deep Purple, Machine Head, just listen to this discs mastering of "Lazy"
                                                            #6 THe Doors L/A Woman, The sound quality is not to bad when you consider the year this one was made.
                                                            Regards,,, Dave.
                                                            Dave...

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Bing,

This place claims to have every SACD title available. I have no idea if it is accurate.http://store.acousticsounds.com/cate...eywords=g_sacd

They seem to have an extensive dvd-a section as well.
                                                              Last edited by John Holmes; 27 April 2004, 10:53 Tuesday.
                                                              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                                                                • Feb 2002

I would Blue Man Group Audio to the DVD-A list to try out, I like it alot. Also, since you mention Metallica Black, Megadeth Peace Sells from DTS Entertainment is out too. I have the STP as well, but haven't listened to it as much as I should.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Hey John, thanks for the link, however, it currently down... :W
                                                                  Bing

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                    • Sep 2001

John, thanks for the link. (It is working at this early hour of the morning.) The prices on the items I checked are not particulalry bargains compared to other stores/vendors I've looked at recently (although they are not way overpriced either), but it is nice to have "everything" available in one place.
                                                                    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 29 April 2004, 03:27 Thursday.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Burke, Pat,

Your welcome. I wasn't sure if the pricing was fair. I don't own a player that is capable of playing either format. Thus, I don't know pricing. But, I was hoping that it would be a good place to at least see "all" that is availabe in the respected formats.
                                                                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2000

I picked up the Roxy Music Avalon on SACD.

It sounds pretty good for an old album. Not as crisp with startling depth like the Diana Krall SACD I picked up, but it's still very good none the less. Once again I notice a clarity and separation not heard on the original Redbook I own.

I listened to Aaron Neville's Nature Boy which I picked up on DVD-A

It is a great sounding album, however I realized one thing.... Aaron's reverbing voice actually gets on my nerves during critical listening. Which is not fair for he has a great sounding voice and the DVD-A showcases it fantastically! In the end, I would rather have it for background listening rather than critical listening. Which is a shame for it is a great sounding disk.

John, that list is working now, thanks!
                                                                        Last edited by Bing Fung; 02 May 2004, 19:29 Sunday.
                                                                        Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 2703

Alright :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 15259

Some nice choices, Bing! Is that Roxy music SACD a hybrid? My current purchasing on disks is 90% hybrid SACD, because of the inclusion of a redbook CD layer, which is usually an excellent mastered down conversion of the SACD stereo tracks.

I'm in the peculiar position that my best overall sounding rig is CD; it has an edge in overall bass and midrange articulation, more grain free highs, and better depth compared to my Sony SCD777ES SACD player, but I know that when I can get a comparable SACD player someday, the upgrade will be worth it. I've heard good things about the Krell Standard SACD player, but I've also heard they've temporarily suspended shipments because they're having trouble getting transports from Philips. The new Diana Krall is also on my shopping list, as well as the Pat Barber SACD from MoFi.

Been so busy it's been hard to find time on the weekends to get out and do any shopping!

Regards,

Jon
                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                            M8ta
                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                            Isiris
                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                            Calliope
                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 6521

#39
                                                                              Thanks Jon :T Yes the Roxy Music Avalon is a Hybrid. I like those Hybrids as well for thet fact that they play in normal CD players.

Strangely enough when I placed this Disk into my PC's Slot load DVD player (Pioneer), it barked at me and stated it "may be a corrupt disk or in a format that windows does not recognize". I then placed it in my Lite-on DVD-/+R and it played it with out a problem.

Jon, your CD player must be one awesome unit :E
                                                                              Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 15259

#40
                                                                                SACD layers are physically the same kind of thing as DVD layers, so it depends on how the bios and drivers handle it.

Some DVD/CDR combo drives are OK with EAC, reading hybrid layers, others go nuts.

Go figure...

I'll have to pick that Roxy Music up some time...

BTW, one thing I think I've notices is that in many cases the hybrid CD layer is a down conversion from the SACD layer, and the more careful mastering really shows up, even on the CD layer.

It's interseting to compare original CD releases with the hybrid layer- for example, the Police greatest hits hybrid, the CD layer totally blows away the orignial CD release.

Now, here, we're not comparing hi rez versus low rez, but a first class mastering job versus something more mass market...
                                                                                Which really irritates me, because I think all CD's should be carefully mastered from first gen tapes.

But that's why I guess I'm also going out and getting the "Who's Next" SACD, becuase it's from first gen tapes, and the best of the existing CD's aren't.

~Jon
                                                                                the AudioWorx
                                                                                Natalie P
                                                                                M8ta
                                                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                Modula MT XE
                                                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                                                Isiris
                                                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                                                Calliope
                                                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                Obi-Wan
                                                                                Modula PWB
                                                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• gostan
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2003
                                                                                  • 445

#41
                                                                                  I just noticed this thread and would like to offer up some of my top choices:

SACD
                                                                                  Kevin Mahogany-Pride & Joy: this is a Telarc hybrid multi-channel recording. Kevin's a great vocalist with r&b, funk & jazz overtones. The recording is one of the best multi-channel I have listened to.

Ray Brown, Monty Alexander & Russell Malone: another Telarc hybrid mutli-channel. Multi-channel and stereo recordings are both above par.

Peter Gabriel- Sahaking The Tree: his greatest hits are remastered in stereo only.

Mary Chapin Carpenter- Time, Sex, Love: a superb multi-channel recording. Non- hybrid. The vocals and instruments sound true with surround efffects.

Blood, Sweat & Tears: sacd stereo only. What can you say. Great recording of a record that topped the charts in 1969.

Alison Kraus & Union Station- New Favorite: a hybrid muti-channel-stereo recording which is one of the nicest sounding. This one is a new one for me and I am listening to it more in stereo to take advantage of my new Aragon amplifier.

Aimee Mann-Lost In Space: a Mobile Fidelity hybrid recording that I love.

DVD-A:

The Beach Boys-Pet Sounds: mono, stereo, dts 5.1, dvd video with dolby digital 5.1: this is a must recording to own. You must listen to Brian Wilson's original mono recording and then listen to the new surround sound mix.

David Sanborn-Time Again: another new recording that I am still getting to know.

Personally, I tend to like the variety of recording that are on SACD better than DVD-A. Also, while I do place priority on hybrid recordings (so that I can put them on my Powerbook, Ipod & Mini-Ipod), I will purchase non-hybrid if I like the music and hear through the grapevine that the recording is worth the price of admission. I do, however, tend to listen more to the stereo recording than multi-channel recording. To me, the sacd - dvd-a recordings are worth the price as they do sound better.
                                                                                  Stan

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 6521

#42
                                                                                    gostan, Good recommendations!

Jon, you make me think of a question... :roll: Would the older audio tracks recorded earlier on (70's 80's) like Fleetwood Mac Rumors, Yes Fragile, Herbie Hancock Head Hunters.... etc, stand a chance sonically against the newer productions recorderd and mastered with modern techniques?

Throw poorly mastered/mastering aside. My thought is most of the earlier recordings Masters could (may have) degredated over time, leaving the older material in the wake of the newer stuff. So no mater how much remastering is applied, you can only get so much information out of these older tracks.

I only say this because the example of the Roxy Music Avalon, recorded cira 1982 and remastered in 2003. While The SACD does boast an improvement over my original Redbook CD, I have owned for 20 years, it still does not present that same type of sonic presence of realisim that the Newer Diana Krall SACD's and Red Book CD tend to have. Actually more to the point, I have some Newer Redbook CD's that equally compare to the Roxy Music SACD version in presence, sonic impact, dynamic purity (Christen Mcbride getting into it, Diana Krall When I look into your eyes, Roy Obeido Iguana... to name a few).

My point it I don't want to go replacing a lot of my older Redbook CD's with SACD versions of it, if sonically they are still somewhat inferiour to the newer recorded material. Remastered they are impressive, however may not stand up against then newer recorded material even in the remastered form.
                                                                                    Additionally I don't want to slight greatly done Redbook CD's for SACD/DVD-A only because of it's promise of more dynamic response.

Is this a limitation of my system to appreciate the remastered stuff? If so I should just keep on the redbook bandwagon for the older recordings.
                                                                                    Last edited by Bing Fung; 09 May 2004, 12:01 Sunday.
                                                                                    Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15259

#43
                                                                                      Unfortunately, Bing, when you're talking older recordings, there are some limitations in the original studios at times, microphones, mixing boards, etc. A new recording might be done quite well, and take better advantage of an all digital recording path because of the advances in the electronics, especially A/D.

But for this reason, many older recordings really benefit from re-mastering. In many cases, the original CD wasn't made from masters but from safety tapes one or two geneations removed. I've picked up a lot of new Redbook disks because they've been remastered in the last 5-6 years, going back to the original source tapes. Yes, Eagles, and many others have benefited from this.

The other side is playback. A moderate price SACD player does sound better in general than the same player playing back the redbook layer, or redbook in general. But, put a first rate CD rig up against it, and things look a bit different. I think we're about at the point where for $1,000, with the right purchase in a DAC, you can get CD that's 95% or more of the best that CD can offer. That's because some recent product in that price range have become relatively competitive with the performance of what previously has only been available for multi-kilobucks.

Nothing comparable for SACD exists at that price point, or two or three times it, yet. Especially because the development of outboard converters is still hamstrung by not having an officially blessed data and security interface, so the current solutions are all proprietary- i.e., expensive. Hopefully, in time that will change. At this time, even the best "bargain" high end SACD player, the Krell SACD Standard, at $4000, doesn't compare in some critical aspects of measured performance to a Benchmark DAC1. And unfortunatley, due to delivery problems with Philips transport used in this unit, Krell is having trouble producing this in quantity.

Sigh....

Regards,

Jon
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 6521

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                                        Unfortunately, Bing, when you're talking older recordings, there are some limitations in the original studios at times, microphones, mixing boards, etc. A new recording might be done quite well, and take better advantage of an all digital recording path because of the advances in the electronics, especially A/D.
                                                                                        I think that is what I was getting at... That basically some / most older recordings can only sound so good, compared to the well executed recordings of today.

I understand and agree that the older recordings can benifit from remastering, but it all boils down to diminsihed gains for me... Generally I'm looking for the SACDs /DVD-A's that really showcase the sonic qualities of this medium, and although the older recordings may standup well, I just wanted to know how well.

The Roxy Music is a case in point. It sounds good, but really can't compare to Diana Kralls When I look in your Eyes in sonic realisim (on my system). Granted, I think Diana's music is better suited for a modest system such as mine and has a better chance of creating the realisim for it's has varing crescendos from a silent whisper to medium levels, where as Roxy Music's is more Rock music levels and really requires a powerfull system with better speakers to create that sonic realism illusion.

I'm just seeking the most sonic bang for my spending dollars and just don't want to replace all my old redbooks just yet with SACD/DVD-A of those versions unless I really have to. On my system, it would seem i really don't have to ops: But I still do want to replace an older classic that I truely love such as Emerson Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery. Even if my system isn't capable of making it sound real... sentimental or nostagial wins over the technical aspects.

Somehow I just can't bring myself to buy Pink Floyd DSOTM, even if that is with out a doubt the album that has recieved the most play time in my life. I can't bear to buy another one for I think I have bought this album 6-8 times already :evil:
                                                                                        Last edited by Bing Fung; 10 May 2004, 06:36 Monday.
                                                                                        Bing

Comment

• Ross Smith
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • May 2004
                                                                                          • 43

#45
                                                                                          Listened to my 1st DVD A "WOW"

I just bought a Pioneer DVDA-SACD player and listened to my first DVD- A disc today ( Doobie Bro's, The Captain and Me), wow this format sounds superb. It brings music to life, listening to 2 channel is like listening to mono I couldn't believe that an old recording could sound so good.
                                                                                          I can't waite until I get more disc's, it's a pity that there's not more titles out there to choose from. At $A32 they are a bit expensive but I was lucky, I get 2 bonus disc's with my Pioneer I have ordered "Hotel California" and "Harvest"

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"