X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Live from Union Station

If you have any interest in good live music, especially vocal and acoustic instruments (but amplified, granted), you just may want to check out Alison Krauss and Union Station Live.

It's available on CD, and on SACD Hybrid, which includes a DSD down converted CD layer, so it will play on any player.

Let's make this review simple and quick.

It sounds fabulous for a live disk, the performances are superb, and you get both SACD and state of the art CD layers... what's not to like? :B :banana:

Of course, when it comes to Alson Krauss, I do have a bit of a weakness... ;x(

:leghumper:

Well, I'd better close this down before I get any more out of control....

~Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Thanks for highlighting this remarkable album. It has a permanent place in my CD changer (both discs). That it also has a SACD layer is great future proofing although it was really icing on the cake regarding my purchase decision, given the low introductory price I found for it at Best Buy the week it was released.

As if the engaging peformances weren't enough, (gotta love Allison's voice whether she is singing or talking to the audience), the stellar sound makes it even more of a joy to listen to than their studio album with some of the same material, "New Favorite", which was also quite entertaining, but has been superceded here for sound quality and vivaciousness of the performances, in my opinion.

Even if you think you are not a fan of folk and/or bluegrass music, there are still bound to be several tracks that will get your attention and have you coming back for more. Well worth the relatively bargain price (even this far after release week). I just hope the artists are getting a fair share of the many sales dollars this one is bound to rake in.

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Well, you know Burke, they're on Rounder Records, and this is one label that seems to be quite successful working outside the "normal" studio and radio system, and does a serious job (including a regular newsletter) of promoting their artists. I usually buy my disks from the direct, as a result; they have convenient web ordering.

Shop the official store for Rounder Records. Limited Edition Vinyl, CD's, Apparel and Merch.

The performances are quite good on this disk, and highlight a slightly different approach to many cuts, but certainly reveal that the "original" success is due to talent, not just careful studio production.

Another gal I like from Rounder is Kathleen Edwards... very different style, but an interesting song writer.

With song titles like "One more song the radio won't like", you know this gal isn't quite mainstream- but as it turns out, that's in good way, IMO.

~Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

First off, that look that Kathleen Edwards gives in that photo is seductive as...

Secondly, I have a hard time keeping up on newer music because I don't listen to music on radio and I have very varied taste.

However, when I read you talking about Alison Krauss, it definitely piqued my interest, especially as I really enjoy bluegrass and have heard a lot of buzz about her on the internet.

I took the plunge and went out and bought the CD and am offering my thanks. I love her singing. The song selection is excellent. But, to be honest, what I love most is the picking going on. What a great accoustic carpet they lay for her voice: guitar, accoustic bass, dobro, banjo...

I can't see how anyone can avoid tapping there feet to the music.

A suggestion to anyone with DVDA who enjoyed this disc: Get Nitty Gritty on the AIX label.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Yes, there's some really fine pickin' on all the Union Station albums, and very well recorded, to boot. Even the live dobro work is excellent.

~Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"