X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pereze
    • May 2006

DVD vs DVD-A/SACD

OK, you will have to forgive me. I am fairly new to all this audio stuff, especially SACD/DVD-A.

I have been reading through the thread on best CD's and found one I am interested in getting. Alison Kraus and Union Station Live. I went looking for it, and found that there is a DVD of this concert.

Which brings my question, what is the difference between a DVD (with video) and a SACD or DVD-A disc? I understand the main benefit of SACD and dvd-a over red book (from reading wikipedia) is the sampling rate which effects the quality they are able to achieve. But is a DVD just as good?

TIA,

Eric
  • nayr
    • Jun 2005

The guideline would be, with exceptions: DVD < CD < SACD/DVD-A

A DVD can hold sound in many different formats. The most common of which, Dolby Digital and DTS, are compressed in a similar way MP3's are compressed and therefore may sound worse than a CD of the same material. DVDs can also hold uncompressed PCM sound can be equivalent to a CD. A very select few DVDs have a DTS track at 24bit/96khz, but you need something that will decode the signal to enjoy the higher resolution.

DVD-A and SACD are high resolution formats. The resolution and sampling may vary from disc to disc, but almost always are higher than a CD. They may or may not be in stereo or 5.1, this also varys from disc to disc.

Comment

• pereze
      • May 2006

Thanks for the great info.

I would have thought a DVD was better than a CD since it has more storage space, but it makes sense that the video takes up so much space that they just compress the audio portion.

I will be getting a SACD to try out. Also, do you know why SACD prices would vary so much? For instance, the Alison Krauss CD I mentioned above is about $50 in SACD. I have seen many other SACD for about $15-20. What is that about?

Again, thank you for the information in my journey of learning.

Comment

• gimpy
        • Sep 2004

If you have never listened to sacd/dvd-a, then, I think you are in for a treat. I am one of those that really enjoy a good sacd/dvd-a recording, even on my limited universal player.

I have only listened to a couple of dvd "videos" and did not really like their surround. They just did not have good surround sound with them. It seems that most of the surround was of people clapping or maybe a little harmonizing, etc. But, I guess that there could be/are probably very good dvd videos out there, though. I just haven't heard any. (I have only analog hook-ups, no hdmi, so don't know if that changes anything)

Dvd-audio (dvd-a) generally shows a still picture on your tv screen during the dvd-a songs. Even though it is a dvd, there is little video. They might have one or two songs on video (generally not in good surround), along with interviews, possibly, but generally not the whole album.

Remember that sacd's do come in stereo mode and mutichannel mode (5.1) and sometimes it might be a little misleading if you wish to get the surround mode, but only get 2 channel inadvertantly (which I have done) when expecting the 5.1 disk.

If there is a Fry's Electronics near you, they may have some sacd's/dvd-a's (the one in Phoenix does, a couple hundred disks, maybe). I belong to an internet cd club (right word?) that carries about 50 or so sacd's (most of which are classical, along with some Eric Clapton and one or two other artists) for $7.00 a disk. I have seen an Allison Krauss sacd/dvd-a (one or the other, don't remember which) at Fry's. Don't know which album it is, either.

Also, there is a real good website that carries 30 or 40 (give or take) dvd-a's that is shot in a high definition type of video format on one side of the disk (also has dts 5.1 surround and 2 channel stereo mixes on that side). The other side of the disk is a dvd-audio format. They are limited in their selection but they are very good recordings ($25.00). Check out aixrecords dot com.

Sorry for such a long winded post, but hope it helps you a little.

Frank

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

That Alison Krauss SACD (I have it) is out of print, which explains the high cost (I paid around 30$ for it--it's a double disc package). It has the highest sound quality in my collection (about 100 SACDs, 20 DVD-As, 300 CDs, 100 DVDs) and is arguably best sound quality I've heard anywhere. If you're a fan, it's worth the cost. If you're not a fan, you'll likely become one. That said, Alison is easy on the eyes and I'm tempted to buy the DVD as well--but the SACD is the way to go, sound quality-wise.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by pereze
            I would have thought a DVD was better than a CD
            Hi pereze,

Yes, DVDs are frequently better than CDs. CDs are sampled at 44.1 kHz at 16 bits per sample, as mandated by the Redbook standard, whereas the linear PCM track on DVDs can be sampled at 48 kHz or 96 kHz with 16, 20, or 24 bits per sample, which explains why many music DVDs sound better than CDs.

Nigel.

Comment

• pereze
              • May 2006

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Frank, there is a Fry's so I will have to check it out. I have seen a few at Best Buy, but the selection is not the best.

Ovation, great to hear. I am not a "fan" but I listened to a few of the songs on itunes to preview them and I really think I will like it. I will have to find a good deal on the cd.

I may go ahead and get the DVD of Alison Krauss just for fun.

Thanks!

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by pereze
                I may go ahead and get the DVD of Alison Krauss just for fun.
                It's one of the best music DVDs that you can buy.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"