X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TSG
    • Jan 2003

Looking for new music..

Hi.. I'm looking for some new music to listen (redbook cd) to so I'd like your opinions. Something along the lines of Jazz, R&B & instrumental/classical

What are your top five (or 10) must have, well recorded favorite albums?

Thanks

Tom
    Tom
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

For classical, I'm listening to an absolutely wonderfully recorded Aaron Copland, Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring Suite, Third Symphony with Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra. A reference recording if there ever was one.

If you like Beethovan, I have a ton and the one that I most enjoy is Carlos Kleiber leading the Wiener Phoilharmoniker in Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7.

If you like classical spunk and an incredible feeling of comraderie, I'd recommend Quartetto Gelato.

For Jazz, I love Time Out with the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

Most of Coltrane's albums have been pretty nicely recorded and A Love Supreme would be a great place to start.

Miles Davis transformed himself so much during his career. A great career overview is The Essential Miles Davis which contains about one song from most of his releases.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Well, I happen to own a few Jazz and R&B titles that are well recorded and I happen to like! :LOL:

Jazz

Dave Koz - The Dance (HDCD)

Wynton Marsalis/Ellis Marsalis - Joe Cool's Blues

Pamela Williams - Saxtress (HDCD I think)

Peter White - Glow

Paul Hardcastle - The Jazzmasters II

R&B

Baby Face - The Day

Soul II Soul - Keep On Movin'

Earth, Wind & Fire - Millennium

Rachelle Farrell - Rachelle Farrell

Alicia Keys - Songs In A Minor

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Tom,

Can't come up with 10 at the moment, but one VERY good disc I've been playing recently is the soundtrack to the movie The Falcon And The Snowman, by Pat Metheny and his group with David Bowie on vocals for a couple of songs. Very good music, very good arrangement, very good production. Give it a try.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Tom,

You may also want to view this thread. Some great info!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

If you are looking for some exceptional R&B try Solomon Burke, "Don't Give Up on Me". I would say that it is a must have for anyone who likes R&B. If you like that let me know, I can give you a long list.

Comment

• dave
              • Aug 2003

While listening at the listening station at a local music/book store I came across this 2cd srt for 9.99 called The Most Relaxing Jazz Music In The Universe (actual title) put out by denon. This is a various artists set & is very good. Also one of my favorites is Miles Davis- Kind Of Blue,Dave Brubeck-Take Five & also Red Hot & Cool by Brubeck . Also, Donald Fagen- The Nightfly. I have others but want to keep this short. As For Classical I tend to lean toward Tchaikovsky as does my wife of 26 years but I do also enjoy listening in the dark to Mark-O- Conners Music.

dave
              Dave...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"