Man, I was on "Cloud Nine"! At least it felt like it. Enjoying "The Temptations"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Man, I was on "Cloud Nine"! At least it felt like it. Enjoying "The Temptations"

Yesterday, USA-Network aired a special on the "Temptations". I decided to watch it. Afterwards, I couldn't wait to get to my little corner of the world and fired up the turntable.

Man-o-Man!!! It has been years (a decade) since I've played this album (5315ML). I still makes me want try to imitate the Temps moves while singing these classic hits. "My Girl" "Ain't To Proud To Beg" "Cloud Nine" "Ball of Confusion" -(my favorite). Oh...the list goes on and on.

I don't know how one could have gone through the 60's and early 70's, and not have this group's music influence them to just enjoy life.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Strangely enough, John, as much as I liked their music, I really don't have anything of theirs on vinyl, tape or cd. Guess I should check out the oldies but goodies section next time I'm in a music store.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Strangely enough, John, as much as I liked their music, I really don't have anything of theirs on vinyl, tape or cd
      I think many of us fall into this catagory. When I was a kid, buying music was not on my list of important things to do. I had a radio and it played all the music that I needed. It wasn't until I got older and got a real job, that I began my quest for music without a radio dj! So naturally, a many of artist got missed when I began building my collection.

I was lucky to find a lot of pristine vinyl, when I was in Gemany. And for a good price to boot. Because of such, quite a few of them have different cover-work than the same U.S. release.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

John
        After the first time I watched Jackie Brown I went out and bought a Delphoics album. I enjoyed it so much that I then bought some Temptations, Marvin Gaye, and the Four Tops. Love it all.
        By the way, on the subject of rediscovery. I pulled my Henry Belefonte live at Carnegie Hall album out the other night and gave it a spin. I had forgotten how much fun it was.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

That's a terrific album, Bob. Is yours vinyl, too ?

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hello Bob!

You're right. A lot of the groups during that era, had a sound (Motown sound) that was just "good music" no matter what your main genre of enjoyment was. I recall watching "The Big Chill" many moons ago. It's soundtrack included many of the same groups mentioned here. It was great to see the actors in this film, relate the music to the up and downs of their lives.

By the way, on the subject of rediscovery. I pulled my Henry Belefonte live at Carnegie Hall album out the other night and gave it a spin. I had forgotten how much fun it was.
            I don't own that album but, I'll go out to give it a listen. And since George has given it a thumbs up too, I'm sure I'll enjoy it! :LOL:

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Yeah, John, it was a double LP recorded during two live performances on April 19 and 20 in 1959. The music covers much of what he was doing in folk/calypso at the time. The last side of disc two is devoted to a wow rendition of Matilda. He has the house shakin'.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
                • Jul 2000

Was I listening to vinyl, heck yes. Also, Belfonte Returns to Carnegie Hall is alot of fun. I especially like the track with Odetta.
                Presently using a Clearaudio turntable with the Tangent arm and the Sigma wood stylus. If I knew how to upload pictures here I would show a shot of it.
                If you like blues at all the 45s from APO are pretty tasty.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Turntable Master Bob
                  a Clearaudio turntable with the Tangent arm and the Sigma wood stylus

Wow, which ClearAudio is it? 8O Bob, you are THE MAN.

The easy way to post a picture is to click on the Gallery button at the top of the page and then click on the New Image button on the left side of the page that comes up. Log in and then click the Browse button and it'll let you go to the directory on your PC that has your images in it. Select the one you want and add a description then click the Upload Image button. Then in your post, just add a link to the photo in the gallery.

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Cool guys, I'm on it!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"