X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

NINE? Star Wars Movies?

The following article was taken from here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,75540,00.html

George Lucas 'All Set for Failure'

More from my conversation with George Lucas this past Sunday night (you can read Part 1 of this interview in Monday's column):

The director says he's got plans for his post-Star Wars career. After 30 years of being tied up with the phenomenally successful series, Lucas will set off to make "more personal" films after 2005.

"I'm going to go from complete success to complete failure," he told me, without a wink or a smile. On the contrary, Lucas said he anticipates utter rejection from his fans once Star Wars concludes. "I'm going to make a bunch of movies like THX," he said, referring to his earliest effort. "And if people don't like it, too bad. There will be no Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan for me," he said of pal Steven Spielberg's "serious" movies."There won't be any big dramas or Oscars."

Lucas did tell me that of the current movies in release, he loved Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York. "We showed a print of it at the Skywalker Ranch," he said. "I was amazed by what he did with it and where he went. It was terrific."

But Lucas' own career is clearly on his mind these days. He's busy working on Chapter III of Star Wars, which links Attack of the Clones to the original Star Wars.

"I know what I want to do," he said. "It was mapped out from my original writing for 30 years. But still you have these two pieces — Clones and Chapter IV — and you have to make them fit together. You're going to see a lot about Anakin and Luke and Princess Leia's mother, all the adults. And of course Luke and Leia will be infants in it."

I asked him whether he cared about the criticism of Hayden Christensen, who played Anakin in Clones. "Not a bit," Lucas said, "this is a talented kid. Years from now people are going to say, was he always so good, and look at Clones, and realize yes."

Lucas also told me that he and Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson have become good friends, commiserating with each other in Australia and New Zealand on their shoots about making their two series.

"Essentially, Peter is making three three-hour movies out of one book," Lucas said. "And I'm making nine two-hour movies from one book." Of course, Lucas wrote his own book, but the mythology harkens back to Lord of the Rings. "We discuss it a lot because they are similar in nature," said Lucas.

I must say that I've met a few of my heroes in my lifetime and some of them have been disappointments. But George Lucas turned out to be refreshingly candid and enormously pleasant. We don't seem him in New York very often; I hope once Star Wars wraps for good he'll come here more often. And so, yes, "The Force" is with him!

Did anyone else catch that? And I'm making NINE movies....I thought he was stopping after Part III? I know a while back I heard there were rumors of Parts 6-9 but those were nixed by Lucas...so which is it? Anyone know?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Part of what made the original Star Wars so great was we feel in love with the characters, and the actors playing them. George wrote the script but, the actors brought the characters to life and it was their individual personalities that infused the characters.
    Now with the live actors playing oppisite cartoons each new episode gets more and more uninteresting. They are sterile and uninvolving.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

E, yes when the first movie came out it was set to be the first of three telling the middle of the story, the next three tell the beginning of the story and the final three tell the end of the story, taking up where Return Of The Jedi finished.

For many years I was pumped at the thought of the 9-movie series, but the thrill has been diminished by the direction the series has taken (see Bob's comments above).

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Either a slip of the tongue, or, as some might hope, he really does plan on making or allowing to be made a third trilogy and just is denying it so people won't bother him about it. That's always been my take.

BB

Comment

• efarstad
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2001

Brandon, I'm with you...I think there will be three more that follows Return of the Jedi....time will tell!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Money talks but I'm not so sure I want to see the end...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Six is enough already. Besides, I'd like to see Lucas do something else, and not just to see him fall flat on his kisser either. I'd just like to see if he has anything good left in him after the Star Wars thing.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

The other wrinkle in this is I pretty distinctly remember Mark Hamill saying in an interview right after ROTJ was released that Lucas had signed him to appear in a picture, unnamed film and role, for the year 2012.

BB

Comment

• Eduardo
                  Moderator emeritus
                  • Jun 2002

Mmm very interesting. I hope he does add more too the movie line. But time will only tell.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"