X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

The Cloud

So, I'm one of those that absolutely hates buzz words of any kind. Cloud is the latest buzz word being tossed around. It's an interesting topic, whether you think it's a viable solution or not, so I'm curious what people here think.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, it is essentially the idea that you no longer store your data locally, on your own physical hardware, but out on remote servers owned and operated by someone else. The pros/cons are pretty obvious, with a pro being that you don't lose your data if your hardware fails, and a con being the dependency on the speed/reliability of your connection to the outside world to access your own data.

Just thought it would be worthy of discussion here...
    -Chuck
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

The term may be newer but the idea has been around quite a while, I remember a movie about building the 100 dollar computer and they used something similar to that. I'm sure some day it'll become main stream, but it's not ideal in my eyes. Connection speeds have a very long ways to go before it's like having it stored locally. The other problem is that you're then going to be paying for storage for the rest of your life so essentially it'll be more expensive.

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

Similar systems have existed, like VMS/VAX systems with dumb terminals and such, but that was before people were storing hundreds of gigs of important data.

My biggest worry on the idea is security. There is no greater security out there than the ability to yank the cable.
      -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yeah that's another big thing is the security for sure.

Comment

• Isaac
          • Jan 2006

Cloud sounds similar to Skynet.

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Cloud or Claude?

The major concerns have been addressed above, security, size and connectivity.

My biggest issue is connectivity. I need to have connection or else I lose access to everything.

Storage space? I don't think there is enough storage available, yet, to compete with having my stuff stored locally. But it might be a matter of time.

I am willing to believe that my files will be secure in the 'Cloud' plus I can add additional password protection. But this is also an issue.

I do like the offsite backup nature of the cloud and recently I've started to use dropbox (let me know if you want a referral code) for some files and I quite like this service. I have a copy on my local drive that will sync with my other PC's. That way I have pretty much the latest version of what I am working and the process is quite seamless.

What I am not really sold on is the cloud apps, like Google Docs and how MS is moving towards that route with their next office.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Same concerns for me, which is why I'll never do it. The security thing has two parts for me, the first being trusting that the company won't lose it. They have just as much ability to lose it as I do, with multiple hardware failures and such. But the 2nd is my biggest concern, that someone else might have access to my data. When it's on my hard drive or NAS in my house, somebody has to deliberately break into my house to physically steal the data. But how many times in the last decade have you heard news stories of companies accidentally releasing private information? It's always a "wow, we are so sorry, and take every security precaution, and it will never happen again". But, too late... it's already out there. Once it's released, you can't take it back.

I'm already concerned about the amount of private information about me and my family that is out there that could possibly be distributed. Why in the world would I voluntarily increase either the amount and sensitivity of data, or the risk of it getting into somebody else's hands, by posting my private files onto online servers?

No thanks.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                Same concerns for me, which is why I'll never do it. The security thing has two parts for me, the first being trusting that the company won't lose it. They have just as much ability to lose it as I do, with multiple hardware failures and such. But the 2nd is my biggest concern, that someone else might have access to my data. When it's on my hard drive or NAS in my house, somebody has to deliberately break into my house to physically steal the data. But how many times in the last decade have you heard news stories of companies accidentally releasing private information? It's always a "wow, we are so sorry, and take every security precaution, and it will never happen again". But, too late... it's already out there. Once it's released, you can't take it back.

I'm already concerned about the amount of private information about me and my family that is out there that could possibly be distributed. Why in the world would I voluntarily increase either the amount and sensitivity of data, or the risk of it getting into somebody else's hands, by posting my private files onto online servers?

No thanks.
                I second all your concerns as well. Is it really that hard to store data yourself? You can nab over 1TB drives for ~50.00. Get a NAS and run it in RAID 1 mirroring. Now you have a backup to your backup.
                Peoples laziness nowadays never ceases to amaze.

Some people see these things as a big step forward and so do I towards big brother,I tell you it's a conspiracy man. :B

So far the only "cloud" type thing that interests me is Sony offering to put your PS3 game saves on their servers. Which is a bonus for me as I have 2 PS3's so I would just have to log in and I can continue playing with out having to think which one was I playing this game on?

Comment

• noel_w
                  • Mar 2011

Hi, Just on the previous post about Raid 1 being a backup to a backup. Due to past experience I'd like to add a warning. If data gets corrupted on one drive it will be similarly corrupted on the other drive. Raid 1 is merely a mirror. If one drive fails then there is still another copy on the other drive however if the data fails then all is lost. I use a raid 1 NAS as my primary data storeage but i have another copy on a USB drive that is backed up once a week and stored at my workplace. Call me paranoid but it almost cost me my marriage when SWMBO lost all her Uni assignments due to data corruption on a Raid 1 NAS. And I work in IT to boot. I should have known better then but I can assure you I do now.
                  Regards
                  Noel :T

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by noel_w
                    Hi, Just on the previous post about Raid 1 being a backup to a backup. Due to past experience I'd like to add a warning. If data gets corrupted on one drive it will be similarly corrupted on the other drive. Raid 1 is merely a mirror. If one drive fails then there is still another copy on the other drive however if the data fails then all is lost. I use a raid 1 NAS as my primary data storeage but i have another copy on a USB drive that is backed up once a week and stored at my workplace. Call me paranoid but it almost cost me my marriage when SWMBO lost all her Uni assignments due to data corruption on a Raid 1 NAS. And I work in IT to boot. I should have known better then but I can assure you I do now.
                    Regards
                    Noel :T
                    Good to know :T
                    I've never used a NAS before or RAID of any kind for that matter. I have my photos backed up on a flash drive because of a close call I had with my current PC nearly lost all my pics of my daughter from when she was born up til she was 7 that I hadn't gotten printed yet. That was enough to give me some serious paranoia when it comes to things you can't get back.

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Some people see these things as a big step forward and so do I towards big brother,I tell you it's a conspiracy man.
                      Given our gummints current direction , paranoia seems prudent.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

My theory is the "cloud" is great for things that I don't deem "sensitive" and for backup and near global access to this not sensitive data.

Nothing and I mean nothing that is personal information will end up on their but it's handy for large file transfers etc.

Otherwise I'll be keeping my tax/finance documents etc on my own damn gear thanks.
                        Jason

Comment

• mjb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by impala454
                          My biggest worry on the idea is security.
                          Big generalization here, but lots of people concerned about "security" tend to have gmail and/or facebook accounts
                          - Mike

Main System:
                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"