X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I miss my reel-to-reel.

Back in 1984 I purchased a Teac-1000. My reason at the time was to get all my albums and cassettes on one medium. Then when I heard the quality of playback, I was hooked. There was something in the quailty of sound that it produced, that just seemed more pleasing than the original source.

The only tape that I ever used were Maxell XL II (position EE). I was so thrilled with it's sound that, I never ventured to try another type or brand.

Does anyone else have a simliar bias or feel for this medium? Is it just something unique to the software's abilty of wide dynamic range?

I lost my reel-to-reel in my first marriage. And now just have several recorded reels that have been collecting dust for 15yrs!!! I plan to get another deck, when I can stop buying dvd's and cd's. :LOL:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

John, one of my earliest memories is of my father's reel-to-reel (according to him it was a Teac). He picked it up in the PX when he got back from Korea in 1962. I've never owned one myself, but the quality of the music that he produced on his was outstanding. Plus, the coolness- and audiophile-ratings were off the charts!

FWIW, I guess the reason it's one of my earliest memories is because I drank a small bottle of the head-cleaning fluid (what does a 4-year-old know?) and had to have my stomach pumped.
    :uhoh:

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

John

I loved my **** reel to reel deck. Gosh can't even remember the name of the thing but it was the one where the capstan went up/down to load the tape. It was only a 7 in. deck but way cooooool. And great sound to boot. I realized it was going away when some guy told me he preferred his HiFi VHS better. 6 hous of music on one cassette with better freq response.

Robbie

Where did I put my turn table?????

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Back when I had a small musical group playing for weddings and what-not, the clarinet player owned a reel to reel that we used to tape our rehearsal sessions. The sound quality was superb, but I really couldn't tell you the name of it. This would have been in the early sixties. This fellow also archived all his jazz 78s, which was a good idea because old 78s became scratchy quickly.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

David,

That was a great story. Sorry you had to go thru the stomach pumping. :boozer: lol!

I bought mine at the PX as well, in germany though.

Robbie,

There were quite a few models that the caps were up&down. But, like you said, to have one was way cool regardless of brand or size. I did have the 10 1/2 though!!! 8)

I used to hear about people using vcrs for music but, I have never tried it. It does make sense. Are the dynamics better on VHS as oppose to Studio quality open reel tape?

George,

When I hear people speak of the quality of SACD, I often think about how people used to exclaim the same about reels. It was from individuals that did some of the same things that you mentioned.

Maybe we will get lucky and it will make a comeback similar to vinyl!!! ...Yeah right.

The deck that I had also had an auto-reverse feature which was really nice. I enjoyed the extend play with no hassle. I just can't recall if it was 4 or 6 hrs of music. Oh well, guess the old noodle ain't what it used to be!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Big John
            I used to hear about people using vcrs for music but, I have never tried it. It does make sense. Are the dynamics better on VHS as oppose to Studio quality open reel tape?

I did this a bit with a Mitsubishi "hi-fi" stereo VCR back in the mid 80's. It produced some tapes with sound quality that blew cassettes down the street and into the gutter! But, beating out a studio level reeler? I was never able to compare, so I can't answer that. It would have been a good A/B comparison to do.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"