Which artist and or group dominates your music collection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Which artist and or group dominates your music collection?

Fourplay is easily my favorite music group, period. Then I realized, I'm still short atleast two or three of their releases.

Then it came to me, thru my late teens and early twenties, I was a serious Prince fan. OMG! I own every U.S. released album! That means I own more vinyl from a guy I almost never listen to anymore, than I do of my favorite group.

I have 8 Prince albums. And a few of his cd's here and there. I only own three Fourplay cd's and one Fourplay dvd.

So what's your story? Let's hear it!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Without a doubt, Sinatra dominates my music collection in both LPs and CDs. I have just about everything he recorded, and he recorded plenty from the forties right up to the nineties.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

hmm by the number of disks I have 4 Queen CDs, 6 Garth Brooks, 4 Jesse Cook, around 7 by the corrs and I think theres a few other groups I own a few of. By group though rock and 80's dominate my CD jukebox.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Good topic John. I'm not sure of the answer. At last count I'm at about 600 CD's and 500+ albums. My Access DB is at home so, I'm guessing here - The Doobie Brothers with 11 titles, Alan Parsons with 10 titles or Pink Floyd with 9 titles (if I didn't forget some by each of them). My largest category of music is by far 70's, 80's and 90's rock, with slowly growing sections of jazz, new age and classical.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I would say, of my currently listened to CDs, Diana Krall is first, as I have basically everything she's done. Maybe 6 CDs, next Miles Davis maybe, but counting box sets as individuals, maybe 10. Counting just the sets, maybe 5. But I am not to much the bean counter.

All CDs, I don't really listen to my LP collection. Mostly 70s rock and roll, and just not really my thing now.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Pat
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Well, I just checked and the heavy hitter is Led Zeppelin, weighing in with 17 cd's in my collection.
            All 10 studio albums plus some remasters and imports.
            Next was Joe Satriani (awesome guitar player) w/12 discs
            Then ZZ Top w/10 (if you count the sixpack as 6 albums)
            Then Stevie Ray Vaughan w/ 9

Pat's Page
            Pat's Page

Comment

• Pj
              • Dec 2001

I have a lot of LP´s (vinyl) does they count And then i guess Frank Zappa is one artist wich i have much of. Others are Stanley Clarke, George Duke, Rippingtons, Acoustic Alchemy, Supertramp, Genesis.

PJ

PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia
              PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia

Comment

• Bob
                • Jul 2000

Frank Zappa! Use to go see him all the time at the Olympic audiotorium in Los Angeles. He usually played at least once a month, sometimes every weekend.
                My largest collection by far is Bob Dylan, and other people singing Dylan songs.
                I also have every Doug McLeod CD and every Fairfield Four CD, which isn't many.
                Without actually counting I'm not sure who would be next, let's just say blues in general.

Comment

• Pj
                  • Dec 2001

Yeah Zappa, to bad i never got to see him perform live before he´s to early death!

I have listened to him on and off from the age of 12 and i guess i have like 30 albums or so with him. Im not sure of the numbers but he made a lot of albums!

PJ

PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia
                  PJ's DVDs @ DVD Profiler

PJs HT@Telia

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

This is where we reveal what generation we're from, right?

There's not one artist or group, but quite a few that I have five or more albums from. Among them,

Acoustic Alchemy
                    Arvo Pärt
                    Beth Nielson Chapman
                    Patricia Barber
                    Jonatha Brooke :-y
                    Camille Saint Saen
                    Miles Davis
                    Dire Straits
                    Enya
                    Bela Fleck
                    Fourplay
                    Gentle Giant
                    Glenn Gould
                    Michael Hedges
                    Jacque Loussier
                    Harry James
                    Ottmar Leibert
                    Pink Floyd
                    The Who
                    Michael Penn
                    Jethro Tull
                    Thelonius Monk
                    The Yes
                    Joni Mitchell
                    Bonnie Rait
                    Return to Forever
                    Sara Maclachlan
                    Steeleye Span
                    Yellojackets
                    Andreas Vollenweider

If I was stuck on a desert island but had all my CD's from these artists, I'd be OK, at least for a while....

-Jon

Earth First!
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Pat
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bob
                      I also have every Doug McLeod CD
                      Bob, I have only heard 1 Doug McLeod song...the one on Stereophiles test disc 3.
                      I like it...what 1 disc of his would you recommend of his to someone who dosen't have any of his albums?

Thanks,
                      Pat
                      Pat's Page

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

There are a ton of great artist here. And what a great mix of music too!

Jon,

Don't worry about giving away the age, I'm told that it is proof that one has lived! :B

Jon, I also did a quick listen (while at the mall) to Jonatha Brooke a week ago. I forget the cd that I listen too but, recall not really being moved. Could you lead me towards your favorite one of her cd's?

David,

Every now and then we try!

PJ,

Of course they do! And you and David are kicking my butt in albums. I only have around 300.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Robbie
                          • Aug 2000

Hmmmm.... I'm at work so I can't do an accurate count but as far as I remember I have:

4 CD's

Mary Chapin Carpenter

3CD's

Iris Dement
                          Emmylou Harris
                          Fleetwood Mac
                          Emerson Lake and Palmer

When I had a vinyl collection Cat Stevens and Bruce Springsteen were by far the largest as I had almost every one they did. When I converted to CD I went with a lot of best production or greatest hits CDs.

Robbie

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                            Former Moderator
                            • Jan 2002

Well for me it would be Diana Krall. Her secretary has been sending me free Cd's ever since I hired Diana Krall about four years ago once, to perform at one of my client's functions. But the artist/s I've collected and listen to more are (1) Prince (2) Smokey Robinson (3) Frank Sinatra.

Well George Bellefontaine now you know

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                            CLIVE

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

You have such good taste, my friend.

My Homepage!
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

UC,

You had the pleasure of a private show (more or less) from D. Krall and continue to receive free cd's to boot??? Life doesn't get much better than that. :T

And don't lead George on with Frank, he has work to do! :W

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Hey John,

You know, music is a little like falling in love; you can't predict what will make for good chemistry, and one person's raging romance may leave another completely indifferent!

That said, Jonatha Brookes has rather different sounds on the various CD's she's been on.

The early ones, in a band called "The Story", feature another gal on vocals also, and could be called "Alt Folk" with rock and jazz influences. Here, there is at times emphasis on etheral harmonies, such as "Grace in Gravity's" title track, and its closing cut, "Love is more thicker than forget".

"10cent Wings" and "Plumb" are sort of transitional albums, moving to a solo vocal presentation, with Jonatha doing her own backups, and with somewhat more complex instrumental arrangements. A lot of stuff on love themes; my favorites on 10c Wings are "Crumbs", "The Choice", and "Ten cent wings". On Plumb, "Nothing Sacred", "Inconsolable", "No Better", "West Point", "Is this All", "Paris", and "Charming" are my favorites. (BTW, most of her albums are masterd at Sterling sound, so quality is quite good).

"Steady Pull" is her most recent album, on her own independent lable, and probably "rocks" the most. She also plays a lot of instruments on some cuts, to surprising affect (though she primarily plays acoustic guitar), on "How Deep is your Love?" she plays bass (quite well), , piano, and wurlitzer electric, plus "piano effects" (plucking directly) (this cut also features Joe Sample on Wurlitzer electric). Some songs use much simpler arrangements, like "Red Dress", which revolves around the end of a relationship- it's strength is the vocal, but the instrumental parts support it perfectly. "Your House" is more a ballad in her earlier style, but with a different backing style. "Look at you" returns to a rocking style, with a very unpretentious instrumental style- lacking refinement on purpose- she says she was going for a garage band style, and even has some of the recording engineers singing backup. Maybe it's because I was in the business (musician, and studio), that I find that both hilarious and endearing. (inside joke?)

"Steady Pull" is also available on a combo DVD-V/DVD-A disk (a flipper), and both sides are plenty of fun, plus the A side is one of the few 192 kHz DVD A disks I know of.

Any way, if it's an acquired taste, or not to your tast, I understand. I don't really know why I acquired a taste for her so quickly.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, when hearing the first album "Grace In Gravity", remarked, "It sounds like some Irish girls"- and from someone born and raised in the UK, 25 miles southeast of London, there's not anything much nastier you could say....

PS. The weekend has been pretty bizarre and chaotic, plus my daughter graduating, but I DID get the Hollywood plus and it's accesories all packed up to send off to you- should be on it's way tomorrow.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                    Former Moderator
                                    • Jan 2002

Originally posted by John Holmes

You had the pleasure of a private show (more or less) from D. Krall and continue to receive free cd's to boot??? Life doesn't get much better than that.
                                    Yea, when you go black.......... well so they say :LOL:

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                      • Sep 2001

Hard to say that any particular artist or composer “dominates” my collection.

I have about two-thirds classical (as a generic term encompassing early music, Baroque, classical, Romantic, modern, post-modern, etcetera), as opposed to jazz, pop, rock, folk, show tunes, soundtracks, rap, etcetera, and one-third everything else (which would include jazz, pop, rock, folk, show tunes, soundtracks, rap, etcetera). :>)

But in taking a quick count, without trying to track down discs that may be out of sort order in the collection, there are a few composers and artists who stand out from the crowd at least in terms of numbers of discs (and arguably in terms of musical ability as well):

LP albums -

25 - JS Bach (10 of these are multiple disc box sets)

22 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

18 - Ludwig Von Beethoven (9 box sets)

11 - Gustav Mahler

12 - Bobby Short (cabaret singer)

8 - The Beatles

The above numbers represent about 15% of my collection of LPs.

CD -

2 complete cycles of Beethoven Symphonies plus several other individual recordings of symphonies (I have at least five performances of the Fifth and almost as many of the Seventh –which is my favorite piece of music)

Many other Beethoven discs including all of the piano sonatas and most of the quartets

2 complete cycles of Brahms symphonies, plus numerous other works

Nearly half of the Haydn symphonies (he composed over 100)

All of Schubert’s symphonic works and much of his vocal music

A lot of Mozart, mostly chamber music

All Mahler symphonies (multiple performances of several) plus several vocal/orchestral works

Shostakovich – all string quartets and many symphonies

Complete Vivaldi Bassoon Concerti (that represents about a dozen discs) numerous other Vivaldi discs (yes, about five versions of The Four Seasons) :>)

Some real jazz –John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Cannonball Adderly, Oscar Peterson, Mike Garson, McCoy Tyner, Grover Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis

9 Holly Cole albums

All of Patricia Barber’s albums

The Beatles are well represented :>)

The above selections represent about 25% of my collection of CDs.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

UC,

:rf

Burke,

Most impressive! My collection of music varies along the same genres you mentioned but, I have know where near as many in the classical or rock genres. They may if lucky account for 1% combined. R&B dominates my software. However, Prince is the only artist or group that I own more than three releases of. ops:

Jon,

I fully understand about the love aspect. What I heard of Jonatha intrigued me. I could tell she has talent but,I didn't feel captured. I'm not sure if it was the enviorment or the tracks that I auditioned or just bad timing on my part. That is why I asked for your best list. So thanks for leading me to your favs. I'll check those out.

Thank very much for the Hollywood plus card. As I stated, I know you are a busy man & I am in no hurry!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"