• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

How many records do you own?

I have 267 Lp's and 1 45.

Quite a few titles I purchased while in Germany so, the artwork (cover) differs from the United States release. So replacing them would be difficult to say the least.

I've been meaning to place them on some digital format, but, never decided which may work best for my needs.

So, how many of you still have a ton of wax?

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I haven't counted lately, but I recall doing so several years ago and came up with something over 500 12 inch lps, about 30 or so 10 inch lps, a couple of dozen 45s and over 100 78s. Some of the 78s got damaged during various moves so there maybe a few less than 100 now.
    I still love the sound of vinyl.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Wow George! Now I feel like a rookie. :B

You have also educated me. I was not aware of a 10" Lp.

What cirrca were they popular?

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Hi,John,
        The 10 inch lps were out around 1949 to the mid fifties but faded quickly because the 12 inchers were a better value for the money. More songs for a buck or so more than the 10 inchers.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

George that's interesting. I was ignorant to their existance. I am going to hunt one down. It would be kinda cool to own a few.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I have titles on Capitol, Columbia, MGM, Decca and RCA Victor, and these were the big recording companies at the time, so I'm sure there are some of their 10 inchers kicking around the used vinyl shops.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Last time I counted, it was around 520 12" LPs. No 10" LPs, 45s or 78s. Vast majority are late-1960s through mid-1990s rock, with some jazz, blues and new age. My collection had dropped down to 300 or so as I replaced them with studio-recorded CDs (I didn't know any better at the time!), until my brother-in-law gave me about 300 of his. After weeding out the duplicates, I wound up at my current total.

I bought a Yamaha CDR-1000 stand-alone CD burner as my recording unit, but right now, the LPs are all boxed and in my closet waiting on a new turntable and cartridge. Hopefully a Rega3.

Oh, for a photo, follow the link below and enlarge the first picture. It'll show you our old house and HT equipment with the records in an overhead cabinet.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

George,

That is exactly what I was counting on. I am going to hit a few this weekend.

David,

Very nice set-up! Very clean and well organized. You have a nice collection as well.

I have to decide on how to save mine to digital. Still not sure if I want minidisc or cd.

My collection (Lp) has a good mix of jazz, pop, easy listening, r&b, classical, and even a few x-mas albums. I am still suprised that many of them have not made it to cd.

If you don't mind my asking, was there a probelm with the current Technics turntable?

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Hey John,

The Technics just won't give me the sound I want, even after a good bit of tweaking. I've heard much better sound from moderately higher-end turntable/tonearm/cartridge combinations. You know how it is - once the "Jeez that sounds so much better" bug bites, it's hard to go back.

- David -

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

David, I understand exactly. That is why I have yet to listen to a mid or hi-fi TT etc. I don't want to hear the difference! :B

My Sony TT will do until it falls apart or I just happen to stumble across a "to good to be true" deal.

I like vinyl, I just don't want to end up spending the kind of money I have on my HT stuff (Not that music isn't important to me). I have to remind myself that I'm poor!

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

oh my, well, vinyl, probably 100 LPs. But none really in service at this time. I don't have a turntable currently hooked up, though maybe someday... However, my tastes in music have changed a good degree since I bought rock LPs in the 70s and 80s.

I have 3 LPs that are rather rare,

1. Heart Picture Album
                      2. Lynard Skynard album with flames
                      3. Original Meet the Beatles in horrid shape from 1964 I think.

Slightly less valuable, but still keepers, Beatles White Albume "White" vinyl, also a greatest hits LP that's blue. A few beatles singles laying around, and not much else of real value.

Lex
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"