X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Favorite guitarists

When you want to listen to a good guitar, who do you listen to?
    Satriani, Montrose, SRV, Santana, Vai and Morse do it for me.
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Those are excellent choices Kenny, the one that I would also add would be David Gilmore, he has one of those irreplacable styles.

For Jazz Guitar I like Ritenour, Klugh, Jessi Cook.

I have never hear of Vai or Morse

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
      • Aug 2000

This topic was a foregone conclusion. I'm from Austin, so that's where my tastes go:

1. Chris Duarte. A magazine once asked Eddie Van Halen how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world; he replied, "I don't know, ask Chris Duarte."

2. Eric Johnson. See my current post.

3. Stevie Ray Vaughn. The original Texas prodigy.

4. Monte Montgomery. Local guy in Austin. Absolutely incredible live. This guy is absolutely SICK. No one plays acoustic this well. No one.

5. Joe Satriani. OK, I'll admit it. A lot of his stuff is timeless. (Surfing with the Alien).

I guess there's also a ton of others: Doyle Bramhall II, Ian Moore, Eddie Van Halen, Kenny Wayne Shephard. I could go on for days.

Ken
      Ken

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

"Electric guitar"

1)Steve Morse (Oh BTW , JonMarsh used to design and build custom effects equipment for Steve M., Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, etc, etc.

2)Stevie Ray Vaughn
        3)Joe Satriani
        4)Jeff Beck--He's amazing in concert!
        5)Tommy Bolin---He used to live in Denver. Saw him live dozens of times. Probably technically better that Satriani. OD'ed

"Jazz guitar"

1)Paco DeLucia, he's in a league by himself

"Classical Guitar"

1)Andres Segovia--worlds finest guitar player period.--R.I.P.
        2)Julian Bream
        3)Elliot Fisk

Bing

Steve Morse was Guitar Player magazines "guitarist of the year" for something like 5 years in a row. Finally, they simply said he couldn't be "nominated" anymore

If your like extremely fast electric guitar, "rock" style, checkout some "Dixie Dreggs" or just "Dreggs" albums. There are at least 1/2 dozen available

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
          • Aug 2000

Kenny, Thomas: Needless to say, we are not suffering from a lack of diversity. I think someone needs to review some Steve Morse material. I'll admit I'm not real familiar with the guy.

Ken
          Ken

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Let's let Jon "review" Steve Morse. Of course he has all the albums. He also knows him personally.

In the late 1970's Steve Morse and the crew from the "Dreggs" and the big guitar names from the "Dead" were frequent visitors to "Intersound" JonMarsh was the chief designer and engineer for that company. He invented the I.V.P (instrument voicing pre-amp). A "little" ditty none of these gentlemen wanted to be without :B

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mats
              Special Member
              • Jun 2000

I'll name a bunch in no particular order... they're all good
              Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Steve Ray Vaughn, Joe Satriani, Rory Gallagher (The flying Irishman), Al DiMeola, Eric Borelius, Lasse Wellander, Mike Oldfield, BB King, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Robert Johnson...

Mats
              HTGuide
              Mats
              Mats Strömberg
              Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
              Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

other then the obvious masters I really enjoy Jesse Cook's material. Jesse has a new ablum coming out in a couple of weeks and will be on tour to promote it. He's coming to Winnipeg in Decemeber (3rd) and should be in Saskatoon around then. He has a web site it all the dates listed if you're interested

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Jeff Beck...Now there's a name I have not listened to for some time, a master in his own.

I listened to some cuts of Morse "High Tension Wires" Third Power, Man that's awsome, I have to get this album... Thanks guys!

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

That Paco Delucia,john Mclaughlin, Al Di meola is fantastic as well!

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

• Pat
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Wow, I didn't realize we had so many guitar lovers here

Chris Duarte - This guy is amazing - I got to see him live twice, both times in a small club...he even autographed my CD.

Joe Satriani
                      Eric Johnson
                      Steve Vai
                      Stevie Ray Vaughan
                      Steve Morse
                      Kenny Wayne Shepard
                      Eric Clapton
                      Jimi Hendrix
                      Jimmy Page
                      Carlos Santana
                      Paul Gilbert
                      Blues Saraceno
                      Vinnie Moore
                      Tony MacAlpine

These are just off the top of my head...

Pat's Page
                      Pat's Page

Comment

• KennyG
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2000

Bing, the first time I ever heard Steve Vai was as Frank Zappa's guitarist (like Zappa needed one) He's still got abit of the Zappa twist, check him out, his style is alittle different. Also have you listened to Jeff Beck's "Guitar Shop"???
                        Hey! the Chris Duarte band plays at our outdoor springfest quite often, excellent musician.
                        Great call on Tommy Bolin, I've got his box set, and his discs with "the James Gang" and "Deep Purple", to bad he died so young.

Comment

• Inscrutable
                          • Aug 2000

Great, I have some new material to check out...thanks for the leads. Gawd, I must be getting old ... Rory Gallagher, Deep Purple, James Gang ... I've got all these on the original vinyl. Might have to go put on Bullfrog Blues ...

For those of you who mentioned jazz, you might want to listen to Larry Carlton (he has a new one out). And I'm surprised no one has mentioned Leo Kottke (plays twelve-string like no other I've heard). And Ottmar Liebert (if you think you'd like flamenco).

Tim
                          "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." --- Goethe
                          Tim
                          "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." --- Goethe

Comment

• Mats
                            Special Member
                            • Jun 2000

Yeah, I'm terribly sorry, Leo Kottke should have been on my list

Mats
                            HTGuide
                            Mats
                            Mats Strömberg
                            Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
                            Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• John Beavers
                              • Aug 2000

If I'm in a jazz mood I'll put on either Grant Green or Pat Martino.

For Flamenco or New Age acoustic some of my favorites are Armik, Strunz & Farah, Govi and Craig Chaquico.

Comment

• Tom R S 4
                                • Aug 2000

Everybody has listed a lot of greats (Al DiMeola is my particular favorite), and a few that are new to me that I need to check out. One guitar album that deserves mentioning is Lee Ritenour's "Wes Bound" - it's a tribute to Wes Montgomery, and it's fantastic. - Please note that I'm suggesting this particular album, not Lee Ritenour in general, though you may enjoy his music.

Tempus Fugit
                                Tempus Fugit

Comment

• Dave Rubin
                                  • Aug 2000

Great choices, guys. Here's a few more.

Let's not forget the Washington DC super-guitar contingent:

Danny Gatton - this guy is all over the place - jazz, blues, rockabilly. Get "Unfinished Business" to hear him playing tribute to jazz guitar greats who preceded him. Or "88 Elmira Street" or "Cruisin' Deuces" to catch him in a rock / rockabilly groove. Rumor has it he was asked to join the Rolling Stones but said no.

Roy Buchanan - a blues master with a "cryin'" guitar. Jeff Beck did a tribute to Roy with "Since We've Ended as Lovers" on the "Blow By Blow" album.

If you like your great guitarists three at a time, pick up one of the Hellecaster's albums. These guys have great studio careers covering jazz, rock, and country, and one of them, John Jorgensen, has been in Elton John's band for a while now.

For something a little different, more metallic / progressive maybe, I like John Petrucci from Dream Theater.

And I always have enjoyed Nuno Bettancourt of Extreme, who slings it out fast and funky.

Comment

• KennyG
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Sep 2000

Any of you guys ever listen to Mason Williams with Mannheim Steamroller? They of coarse do a great version of classical gas, but the whole disc is excellent!!!
                                    When I'm feeling Jazzy I enjoy Al Dimeola, Stanley Jordan and Kazumi Watanabe.
                                    ARE you serious guitar lovers telling me that none of you has heard any of Ronnie Montrose's new stuff??? THIS CAN'T BE TRUE!!! He's still one of the best, check out "music from here", or "mutatis mutandis", he's got alot of solo stuff, all of it is HOT!!!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2000

Kenny, I have that Classical Gas Album, but I have to admit, mostly I listen to only the first track. i will have to reaquaint myself with it. Love Mannheim Steamroller!

Bing
                                      Bing

Comment

• Stoopalini
                                        • Aug 2000

Alright, here's my 2 cents:

Monte Montgomery is a MUST have for any guitar lover. The first time I heard one of his songs on the radio I went out and bought any and all Monte Montgomery albums I could find -- the guy is great!

SRV of course! Nothing beats a 90'+ day on Lake Travis with Stevie wailing away in the background :B

Randy Rhodes this guy was awesome!

Gary Moore Great classic blues here -- If you've never heard Gary Moore's stuff, definitely do yourself a favor and pick up an album

I'll throw my vote in for Chris Duarte. He's another like Monte Montgomery -- 1st time I heard him on the radio, I had to get the album.

And all the greats listed above:

Eric Johnson
                                        Steve Vai - his latest stuff is wild
                                        Joe Satriani - he was the guy who got me started playing guitar
                                        Eddie Van Halen - man the guy is fast!

There are so many more, but I better get some work done here .....

Thomas.

Comment

• KennyG
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Sep 2000

You know, I've heard alot of Gary Moore's stuff...I'm just havin' a hard time thinking of anything other than with Thin Lizzy. At one time I'm sure I had a disc of his that was on the Roadrunner label, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank.
                                          First time I ever heard Extreme, Bettancourt blew me away, wish they were still together.
                                          Robin Trower was always a favorite, and his later stuff is very good also.
                                          Add Johnny Winter too!
                                          I'm going to hunt down some Monte Montgomery!thanks

Comment

• Stoopalini
                                            • Aug 2000

hey Kenny,

I have a few of Gary Moore's tunes here as MP3's if you'd like to check them out?

Just shoot me an FTP address, or a share on the net and I can throw them your way.

Thomas.

Comment

• MichaelW
                                              • Aug 2000

Let me add to the list already stated, Pat Methany which is my all time favorite guitarist and Craig Chaquico (Jefferson Starship).

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"