X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Rachelle Ferrell = good listening!

While she has a few cd's out, I wanted to touch on her release titled "First Instrument"

This is a jazz lovers dream. Lots of wonderful voice work, supported by some of the best acoustic bass and drum this side of New Orleans.

My Funny Valentine will make you think that she is singing to you. This is a well recorded Blue Note release. Pick it up and enjoy!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

John, maybe I check her out, I am due some new jazz, and I love the sexy female vocal thing.

What are the predominant instruments of the music? upbeat, smoky jazz style, big band, what???
    thanks,
    Lex

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Lex,
      The cd is a mix of (about 50/50) up-beat and smoky. Lot's of piano and drum work. You being a Krall fan, will have nothing but love for this disc. If you truly don't like it, sell it to me and I will give it to my mother-in-law.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Wireless
        • Feb 2001

I've had this disk for a few years now and never tire of it. Her voice control is really amazing, it truly is an instrument. She not only uses acoustic bass, but a similar instrument called a "stick", It is fretless and stand up, has a very unique sound. Matches perfectly with the fluidity of her vocal stylings. Highly recommended

John
        My HT Picts
        John
        My HT Picts

Comment

• Lexman
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2000

Ahh, you guys make it so tempting, how can I resist?

How many CDs has she out?

Wireless John, just bring the disc over Saturday and let me take a listen on my CD burner, lol.

Lex

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Wireless,
            Nice to see another Ferrell fan! And thanks for the education, I was unaware of the "Stick", I know that I love this disc.

Lex,
            All her other work that I own is more R&B. This one is the only "jazz" one that I am aware of.

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

If I can get this title stuck in my head, I will just pick it up if I can find it...

Lex

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"