Back to the past... how will it sound now?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Back to the past... how will it sound now?

There are songs and albums from the past that I still don't have and wonder how they would sound now on modern equipment- my memory got jogged again today for one of them, Howard Jones's "No one is to blame" from his 1986 Album, "One to One.

Well, if you go online to the normal places to try to buy that album, you'll find that rather frustrating, unless you're willing to settle for MP3's from Amazon. At least the Amazon listing tipped me off to the fact that there is/was a remaster version of that album.

Searching the inter web turned up only a five disk limited edition box set, available mainly from his web site store, AND, fortunately, a single CD of the "One to One" album from his web site, now ordered from England, about twenty pounds sterling with shipping... Well, that's a bit nutty, but at least it's a remastered version. I'm drooling a bit to see what it sounds like on the Ardents with the current rig, TotalDAC D1 dual and NAD M22.

Have you ever had a song or album from the old days you couldn't get out of your mind and tracked it down like a hound dog?
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Truthfully , most of the music I have left is a result of The Quest. Tracking down music from my youth has whiled away many hours for me. Fleetwood Mac's 'Oh Well' is one of my recent searches , along with March Of Cambreadth by Heather Alexander , and several Gordon Lightfoot classics. The full length In A Gadda Da Vida was surprisingly troublesome to locate at one time , too. Along with a specific version of Natalie Merchant's 'Jealousy' and Jeanne C. Riley's 'Harper Valley PTA'. mp3s aren't difficult to find , but neither is dog poop on a city street. I don't really want either.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Oh yes. I've kept every CD I've ever owned, and over the last 15 or so years, tracked down all sorts of music, in just about every genre that exists, that I like, and added it to my collection. Whenever possible/feasible, I added a physical disc, but I do have some digital music that hasn't come from physical media. I'm up to about 43,000 songs in my iTunes library now.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

That's a lot of iTunes- but then I shouldn't talk. It's usually several times a month I come across something unusual I remember from the past. But now, there are also more purchases of CD's of off beat new stuff, like Alecia Moore's (Pink) collaboration (You+Me) with Dallas Green on what you'd probably call folk or country music- Rose Ave. Well written and executed, it sounds like they've been singing together for years... the most promoted cut being "You and Me". If you have any interest in that genre of music, you might want to check it out...

New music from Alecia Moore (P!nk) & Dallas Green (City And Colour)! Listen to the debut song from You+Me, titled "You And Me." Get the full details on the new album rose ave. at http://www.youplusmeofficial.com
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

The iTunes thing reminded me, I watched a documentary on VH1 called "Downloaded". It chronicles what happened with Napster, and the start of digital music online. Brought back some memories of that time, which now in the historical view was actually quite profound, and raises some still quite relevant issues. Highly recommended watch.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

O
            Originally posted by JonMarsh
            There are songs and albums from the past that I still don't have and wonder how they would sound now on modern equipment- my memory got jogged again today for one of them, Howard Jones's "No one is to blame" from his 1986 Album, "One to One.

Well, if you go online to the normal places to try to buy that album, you'll find that rather frustrating, unless you're willing to settle for MP3's from Amazon. At least the Amazon listing tipped me off to the fact that there is/was a remaster version of that album.

Searching the inter web turned up only a five disk limited edition box set, available mainly from his web site store, AND, fortunately, a single CD of the "One to One" album from his web site, now ordered from England, about twenty pounds sterling with shipping... Well, that's a bit nutty, but at least it's a remastered version. I'm drooling a bit to see what it sounds like on the Ardents with the current rig, TotalDAC D1 dual and NAD M22.

Have you ever had a song or album from the old days you couldn't get out of your mind and tracked it down like a hound dog?
            I frequently use my Soundhound iPhone app for just that purpose.

As for Howard Jones, I saw him perform a one-man show (with banks of keyboards) at a Montreal nightclub called The Spectrum (now sadly gone) during his tour to support this very album. A great show (I was about 15 or so feet from the stage).

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I always liked "No One Ever is to Blame" when I was growing up.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Your right about the demise of the Spectrum.....sad indeed !
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"