X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

On Stage

We were looking forward to what The Wife & I expected to be a wonderful experience.
    Joshua Bell performing Saturday, 14 Apri, at Heinz Hall In Pgh PA.

Juanjo Mena, guest conductor
    PSO
    Program:
    Mason Bates: Desert Transport
    Leonard Bernstein: Serenade for Violin and Orchestra, Joshua Bell, violin
    Johannes Brahms: Symphony No. 3

I have broken the event down to five categories.

1. venue: Heinz Hall, Pgh Pa

You can google if you wish, but in essence Heinz Hall is absolutely beautiful & baroque in style & architecture.

Additionally, it is an acoustic triumph based on personal experience & having been seated in numerous locations for numerous performances. Very little to no electronic amplification is a common practice & for good reason.

2. audience: Typical for a show of this genre. Quiet, respectful, & knowledgeable of the works performed.

I am happy to report no cell phones were heard during the performance. Additionally, applause were held between movements which lends cohesion to the whole, IMHO.

3. program: Less common but not unwelcome.

The first piece, “Desert Transport”, was a modern grand symphony in what I would characterize as Copland-esque style. An interpretation of the composer’s experience of a helicopter tour over the Utah desert, it was quite compelling to have him, Mason Bates, talk to us about his work. Not often an occurrence when attending Classical concerts to have the actual composer around to lend direct intent to the orchestra & audience. That intent being to combine both the Pastoral & Mechanic styles into a single symphony. From the fluttering percussive beat of helicopter blades to the subtle chant of native Utah American Indian song, the attempt was quite successful in my mind. A thrilling ride.

Next up was Joshua Bell’s performance of Leonard Bernstein’s Serenade for Violin and Orchestra. I simply do not have the ability to convey in words what a $5 million dollar fiddle in the hands of a maestro can sound like when producing the notes from this emotional piece. “Sheer joy” is the best I can muster.

After intermission the last work to be performed was that of Johannes Brahms’ Symphony No. 3. I am not versed well to Brahms, this was basicaly a new piece to me as I did not have copy to preview prior to the concert, though I have heard it. It is one I will add to my library.

4. performance: Technically superb. Emotionally moving.

5. overall: Guest conductor Juanjo Mena was enthusiastic as his direction brought forth life & emotion to all works. Bates’ symphony alone was worth the ticket price, & I was happy to have my first experience of the Brahms work in such a wonderful setting with such accomplished artists as are the PSO.

But the raison d'ĂȘtre was obviously the performance of Joshua Bell. We were seated 10 rows back & center in the first tier & as the notes floated up and around us, Maestro Bell transported us to a place of beauty that we will cherish for many, many years.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 16 April 2013, 13:36 Tuesday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your detailed concert review! I also really enjoyed my visits to listen to the Utah Symphony and some wonderful classical works, at Abravanel Hall here in Salt Lake. That's really interesting about Mason Bates and his Desert Transport piece. Never heard about him or that work before. Having spent quite a bit of time in the Utah desert camping and jeep trips with my grandpa, I can say it is definitely worth writing about. Lot's of really beautiful country out there. Lots of indian ruins and history as well. Glad you enjoyed the concert!
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

Thrilled to be able to share the experience with those who may appreciate.

Bates is an up-&-coming young composer whose talent has already been recognized by such honors including the Heinz Award.

Mason Bates - wikipedia

Mason Bates's web site
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Mac Attack!

This past Friday upon arrival home from work The Wife informs we have been invited (last minute due a cancelation by their friends) to join her sister & brother-in-law for the Fleetwood Mac performance at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh.

A rule of conduct passed on from my dear mother’s mother, & one we have passed on to our children & the children of our children is to always with grace, gratitude & thanks for generosity accept invitation. Never turn down opportunity for a new experience offered by those who would be kind enough to extend favor with you so thoughtfully chosen, whether simple cocktails or dinner with head of state, or any event between. So it was that we found ourselves seated in the multi-purpose hockey arena with wonderful view of the stage.

In the 60's & 70’s during my youth, I admit to listening to & enjoying my substantial share of the Buckingham Nicks & FM. Sadly, that memory was thoroughly expunged in short order. While a will may still exist for Stevie Nicks, a way is nowhere to be found. Bless her heart, if in fact she truly was trying, her vocal range of about one half octave & astonishing ability for conservation of physical exertion was excruciating if not admirable. As for Lindsey Buckingham…….It has been ages since I have been subject to such pompous, no-talent artistry. I’m sorry, I take that back. It has been ages since I have been subject to such a pompous, no-talent attempt at artistry. Anyone familiar with Mystery Science Theater 3000 will know exactly how we entertained ourselves during the event. The acoustics were horrible at best, with nary the hint of focus or detail. Volume at uncomfortable level was the priority at the engineer's mixing console even during the quietest acoustic numbers. I was V happy I remembered to bring along the ear plugs, which were utilized about halfway through the performance & gleefully prevented the dreaded 'ringing of ears' at show-end. To his credit, Mick Fleetwood's energy, abilities & performance would put most rock drummers 50 years his junior to shame while maintaining humble appreciation for his contribution.

Cruel? Overly harsh? Maybe a bit, see my signature below. But do please understand, while ‘rock’ is not currently my genre of choice, I came of age in the 60’s & 70’s. I was weaned on this stuff & I pray I still have no problem appreciating good musicianship regardless of genre or venue. Yet, when we arrived home I pulled up a Hi-Res version of Rumors just for schitts & giggles. After the first song, The Wife asked, "Who is That?".

Still, not one single regret. We were thrilled to be out with family & enjoyed the evening immensely. If I were to say even poor music is better than no music would that qualify as musicphile’s coda? I will ponder later on the question. Regardless, the rule passed down still holds true. We had a wonderful evening, shared an experience we would never have had otherwise. And there were many others who were thrilled to be there whose enthusiasm was infectious as they strived to recapture a sense of the joy of their youth. Bless us all, old farts & hippy’s at heart.
        Last edited by wkhanna; 28 April 2013, 20:43 Sunday.
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Wow , that's a darn shame about Fleetwood Mac. At one time they were one of the musical bright spots of popular music. John and Christine McVie were huge contributors to the talent pool , but Lindsey Buckingham was an accomplished guitarist at one time. Hard to tell if apathy , ego , or rust set in from your description. Very gracious review of the event even if the performance left something to be desired.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Glad you and your wife enjoyed yourselves. Sounds like it was a blast. Thanks for sharing.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"