X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I didn't believe it either

Being the proud owner of a pre-adolescent girl-child I was afflicted , errrrr , introduced , to the "music" of Miley Cyrus. Catch a few of her standard fare videos and you'll swear she's skilled but tone deaf. Then I found these.

The "Backyard Sessions" took place earlier this summer when Miley brought her band together to perform some of her favorite songs. The second in the series i...

The "Backyard Sessions" took place earlier this summer when Miley brought her band together to perform some of her favorite songs. The last in the series is ...

Nothing earth shattering , but after hearing her on a boom box ( thousands of times) and a few other covers she really sucked at , these two songs are now in my library. :T
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Yea still not for me but certainly better then her mainstream stuff. At least unlike Justin Beiber she actually sounds better with less processing.

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

she actually sounds better with less processing
      Maybe that's what surprised me. I just assumed (with good cause!) that she was manufactured by Disney , her father's name , etc.. And since I was never a fan of Melanie , but liked the song (Look What They've Done To My Song) I had really low expectations. Now there are a couple things my child can play and not make Daddy cringe!
      Her timing also seems light years ahead of her earlier CD fluff , and her control seems very natural. The stuff my daughter listens to sounds like Miley isn't singing the same song at the same time as her band.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

I really liked that first one, thanks for sharing. Will catch the other one later. Can't say I was familiar with her earlier stuff though.
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Those were actually done last summer , apparently. That first link is a cover of an oldie by Melanie (Brand New Key) and the second link goes to a cover of a Dolly Parton classic-and it's as good or better a performance. I was pretty surprised after several years of wanting to chew my ears off as my daughter watched Hannah Montana every waking minute. When she heard those two she was as shocked as I!
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

I'm not ashamed to say I find Miley Cyrus' "Party In The USA" catchy. It has taken a while to grow on me, and I will probably download the single, and add it to my party music collection.

Party In The USA

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Hdale85
              Yea still not for me but certainly better then her mainstream stuff. At least unlike Justin Beiber she actually sounds better with less processing.
              Any singer that needs vocal processing should probably not be singing professionally. When singers use it (As do many today in pop), they sound like a god damn computer....... sterile!!. It sounds sickening to me. Taylor Swift did not use it last night at the Grammy's and her voice was marginal at best. Sad...... :roll:
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

I never thought she was a great singer. I think she is riding the wave of her father and her stunning good looks pre cutting her hair off and dying it blonde.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Good what?

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

I liked the Dolly Parton cover, thanks for sharing!
                    -Chuck

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Yeah , I was really surprised at her ability to nail , albeit more subtly than Dolly , the tremolo(or was it vibrato? No idea , really) in 'Jolene'. The fact that it appears to be so effortless for her was something of a surprise , too. She seemed very relaxed and still beltin' it out. Rather than a freak occurrence for the sake of entertainment , I feel both pieces stand on their own musically. I wonder if her voice has just matured enough to sing 'grown up' songs now?
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• technodanvan
                        • Nov 2009

Thanks for posting this, I hope her current fans appreciate it as well.

By the way, there was a third song posted from the same session:

The "Backyard Sessions" took place earlier this summer when Miley brought her band together to perform some of her favorite songs. The first song is "Lilac W...
                        Last edited by technodanvan; 12 February 2013, 01:47 Tuesday. Reason: Added additional video link
                        - Danny

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"