X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Looking for good recording(s) of "Sway"

Obviously, "Sway" is a quote popular jazz song, and I would imagine that it has been covered by a good number of artists. I would assume they all are female, as I've never heard it performed by a man. Looking through my music library, though, I realized that I don't have this song in it.

What recordings have you all found of this song, that are well performed, and hopefully well recorded as well? I'd love to find a good jazz album with this song and other standards, to add to my collection.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I don’t recall the song from memory, but probably have heard it. I’ll have to check out a sample.

discography

Based only on the discography alone and my familiarity with the artists, I would look for these versions:

Rosemary Clooney
    Dean Martin
    Bobby Rydell
    Ben E King
    Michael Buble’
    Haifa Wehbe
    Hooshmand Aghili
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Thanks. Hmmm... checking out the discography, and listening to samples on iTunes, the best versions I'm hearing are by Michael Buble and the Glee Cast, actually. IMHO, it's not the pop song or latin be-bop song that some have made it to be. (I carefully would even include the original recording!!!!) It's a sultry, heavy brass swing song. I got rather turned on by Jennifer Connelly shown singing it in "Dark City"--the version is very breathy and sultry, although it's not really her singing. I can't find that version for sale or iTunes, though.

I think it's best done by a female artist, (again, apologies to the original spanish recording and Dean Martin!!!) so i'd like to find one other than Michael Buble or Glee. Otherwise, I think I'll go with Glee, although that seems sacriligous or something.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Chris, locating the "Dark City" soundtrack maybe your best bet.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
          IMHO, it's not the pop song or latin be-bop song that some have made it to be. (I carefully would even include the original recording!!!!) It's a sultry, heavy brass swing song.
          I have always regarded it as a really good Rhumba when played right. Best, in my memory, is a band called Il Millionari that used to play in the night club at the old El San Juan back in the '60s.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Looks like Amazon does have the Dark City soundtrack after all, $16 on CD. I might just pick that up. It's got some good ratings, too.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"