• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Pet Peeve - Re-using song melodies

[soapbox mode]
    So I have to vent. Can't take it any more.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to stand it when musicians re-use melodies from other songs, trying to put it to brand new lyrics to create a "new song".

First there was Vanilla Ice, bastardizing Queen's "Under Pressure" to make "Ice, Ice, Baby"

Then Jessica Simpson comes along. I hear a song start on the radio, and say, YES! It's John Cougar Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane", a true classic for us 80's generation. But boy am I wrong, it's Jessica, singing "I Think I'm in Love".

Now today I'm driving along to work, in the Monday blues, and hear a song intro on the radio. I get all jazzed up, because it's "Africa" by Toto. Another great 80's tune, full of awesome melody and vocal harmonies. But is it actually "Africa"? Nooooo... it's some cheap R&B ripoff, with the typical WAY overused vocal runs like it's some tremendous display of vocal ability. :throwup: Totally ruined the start of my day.

And don't even get me started about "re-makes" of songs. There are a few exceptions, where the re-make is actually better than the original, but you know what, create a song as a piece of art, and then let it be! You don't see artists going into the Louvre, taking a Picasso off the wall, and then changing it. Or trying to paint an identical picture using different colors, and then trying to hang it in the nextdoor room.

No, UB40 didn't write "Red, Red, Wine". (although their version was halfway decent) That was Neil Diamond, people.

Anybody really believe Madonna created "American Pie"? Don McClean.

Okay, for all you die-hard country fans out there, get over it--Garth Brooks did NOT, repeat NOT create "Shameless". Nor did he do it the best. Billy Joel.

Alright, I'll admit it. I actually enjoy Ugly Kid Joe's version of "Cats in the Cradle", although Harry Chapin's original is more powerful with a tiny but important different word in the song. (written the year I was born!) On that note, other re-makes I don't mind are Metallica's "Turn the Page", original by Bob Seger, "Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crowes and others, original by Joni Mitchell.

But heck, I even had a problem with Elton John re-writing "Candle in the Wind" for Princess Di. I don't have a problem with eithe Marilyn Monroe or Diana, but I felt that doing so dishonored both women and shamed such a beautiful song.

There's probably others, but these most readily come to mind. I assume the original artists had to agree to license their music to another musician. Why would they allow their stuff to be trashed like that? Only $$$?

[/soapbox mode]
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I dont remember the exact quote, but John Lennon was quoted for saying something along the lines of stealing other peoples melodies to create his own songs...
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Wow Chris. That was a mouth full.

I do agree that there seems to be a lot of "sampling" going on in the music industry today. Some of it is very good. Some not so good. It used to get to me a little but, I began to see it no different then the film industry.

Many an idea have been reused. And let's not get started on remakes. Heck, I have even heard actual lines or have watched scences that were identical to a previous films work.

Now today I'm driving along to work, in the Monday blues, and hear a song intro on the radio. I get all jazzed up, because it's "Africa" by Toto. Another great 80's tune, full of awesome melody and vocal harmonies. But is it actually "Africa"? Nooooo... it's some cheap R&B ripoff, with the typical WAY overused vocal runs like it's some tremendous display of vocal ability. Totally ruined the start of my day.
      Hmmm, this is amazing to me. You know...there's a genre or two that aren't my first choices either. But even I find quite a few groups or songs within them that I really enjoy listening to. I have to admit, it is sad that R&B gets so little respect on these forums. Sad, sad, sad.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yeah, in general I have no problem with R&B, but this song that ripped off the backbeat melody from "Africa" really just destroyed it. To be fair, I have heard an R&B remake of "Islands in the Stream", the Dolly Parton duet, that was quite good--they didn't try to overdo it.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

And then Sean Combs became famous and resampled every song.. EVER. lol
          SOME artist can really pull it off. But in most cases, they're just ruining the original because they aren't artistic enough to compose/write their own music.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I have no issue whatsoever with an artist covering another artist's songs, as long as he/she credits the original artist on the cover of the CD/DVD/album. In fact I really appreciate a new interpretation of an old song.

However I do have an issue with an artist using another artist's songs and failing to give them the credit. For example, on the Let It Bleed album by The Rolling Stones "Love in Vain" is credited to "Traditional, arranged by Jagger/Richards" (well that's what it used to say, though I haven't looked at recent releases). Of course the song was written by Robert Johnson.

Then there are artists who simply steal other artists' medodies and put new words to them, for example Bob Dylan ripping off Jimmy Kennedy's "Red Sails in the Sunset" and calling it "Beyond the Horizon".

On that same CD (Modern Times) Dylan also takes the credit for writing "Rollin' and Tumblin'", which was written by Muddy Waters.

That's naughty Mr Zimmerman! I'm going to continue mentioning it until you put it right.

Nigel.

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by bigburner

However I do have an issue with an artist using another artist's songs and failing to give them the credit. For example, on the Let It Bleed album by The Rolling Stones "Love in Vain" is credited to "Traditional, arranged by Jagger/Richards" (well that's what it used to say, though I haven't looked at recent releases). Of course the song was written by Robert Johnson.
              This is all pure speculation, and based on my minimal memory, but perhaps the robert johnson song either didnt have a copyright or it had run up? i find it ironic that these same artists are fighting to extend copyrights, while they abuse it on the back end, if that is the case.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Foxman
                • Jan 2003

Yeah, my boss listens to a station that mixes in a lot of R&B with various other genres. So, me being a little ignorant to new R&B I have really had my eyes opened to some of the sampling, melody and lyric abuse/use that you are referring to. At first I was like, oh wow this is kind of cool, but the more I hear it all I can think about is the lack of creativity to come up with your own material.

I don't know which Supertramp song it is, but one of their popular songs has been used in large part in one of the R&B songs I have heard recently.

I am with you on the remake thing also, I don't mind a remake, but don't try to tell me you wrote the song. Iron Maiden does a cover of the Scorpians "The Zoo" and it is very cool. The Metalica Turn the Page is good and I even like the cover of Signs by Tesla, but at least they arent trying to pull wool over my eyes.
                IMO

My Movies
                Bad Pics of my system

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"