X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

Michael Clayton

Michael Clayton is an in-house fixer at one of the largest corporate law firms in New York. A former criminal prosecutor, Clayton takes care of Kenner, Bach, & Ledeen's dirtiest work at the behest of the firm's co-founder, Marty Bach. Though burned out and hardly content with his job as a fixer, his divorce, a failed business venture, and mounting debt have left Clayton inextricably tied to the firm.

At U/North, meanwhile, the career of litigator Karen Crowder rests on the multi-million dollar settlement of a class-action suit that Clayton's firm is leading to a seemingly successful conclusion.

But when Kenner Bach's brilliant and guilt-ridden attorney Arthur Edens sabotages the U/North case, Clayton faces the biggest challenge of his career and his life.

The storyline seems like "The Firm (1993)" and gets very boring in the first half showing Michael life and building some background around him, but gets as much exciting in the second.

I would give it an average rating and can be rented. Strong performances by George Clooney and Tilda Swinton (she just won the Oscar, best supporting actress for this movie)
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm sure it's a good film, but I doubt if it would stand up to a second viewing for me, so I do intend to rent it first.

Tilda's acceptance speech was cute...
    My Homepage!

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

Boring!!!!!
      June
      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

It certainly was slow paced for around the 1st hour for development of the plot. The second half of the film had a better pace, including a climatic ending. George Clooney and Tilda Swinton provided noteworthy performances. One viewing is sufficient for me, but IMHO, I didn't feel as though it was time wasted. The film makes you reflect on your own life and its worth.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I actually loved it. I don't feel that an entire movie has to be action to be enjoyable. I didn't fall asleep or get bored through any of the movie to a point where I wanted to turn it off or anything and found it to be very enjoyable.

Comment

• Club1820
            • Jan 2006

Just watched it last night. Yes, the first hour is slow then it gets better. Have no idea why Tilda was even nominated, let alone won the Oscar. Her performance was nothing out of the ordinary.

Clooney was probably nominated because of the final scene where the camera was on him for about a minute while the credits rolled! I'm kidding of course.
            Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
              • Aug 2001

Enjoyed this very much, and Clooney was great. Didn't find the pace slow at all, some stories develop that way and the acting carries it.

Comment

• greenhorn
                • Feb 2007

Didn't think to much of it, wife liked it. A movie for George Clooney fans, I mean what else was there? George was in the house and George get righteous. No real interesting characters, no interesting plot twists or surprises, the whole corporate thing on both sides was nauseatingly real.

Please, six years litigation with Dow Monsanto DuPont.... wait it was UNorth and surprise it was...

Oh and as far as the woman, we've got a half a dozen talking heads where I work who could have played that role with their eyes closed.

Comment

• littlesaint
                  • Jul 2007

Watched this last night and loved it. I think those that dismiss it, may give too much weight to the lawsuit which is really a subplot, and ignore that the film is about Michael Clayton and the people in his life.
                  Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by littlesaint
                    Watched this last night and loved it. I think those that dismiss it, may give too much weight to the lawsuit which is really a subplot, and ignore that the film is about Michael Clayton and the people in his life.
                    Agreed. You hit the nail on the head. This is a story about characters and they tend to be on the slow pacing side of things. I liked it but really don't see myself watching it again. Some very food acting all around.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                      Some very food acting all around.
                      I think I'm a hamburger... I think I'm a hamburger...
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I'm a filet mignon - bacon wrapped.... :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"